Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chone Figgins to Seattle?

Chone Figgins to Seattle?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4714327

Regardless of the wisdom of this signing (which I assume is measurable, since the new M's FO seems to generally know what they are doing) I am jealous. I really think "Chone Figgins" is the best baseball name out there today, and always secretly wanted the Reds to acquire him. Oh well.
    Last edited by RedEye; 12-04-2009 at 09:56 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chone Figgins to Seattle?

I'm just thinking that a 1-2 of Ichiro and Figgins will drive any pitcher crazy...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Figgins had an unsustainable year, though he did walk a bit more than he normally does. He came back down to earth towards the end of the year, too. Pass, though his name does rock.

He's a local kid for us- went to Brandon High School in Tampa.

I'm guessing that he's a good defender given the current MO in Seattle...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm just thinking that a 1-2 of Ichiro and Figgins will drive any pitcher crazy...
    Yep, might be fun to watch though.

Figgins would be a great addition to Seattle. He's a slightly above average bat and a plus defender who would get most of his at bats as a lefty (his better side and Safeco doesn't penalize lefties).

Given the contract numbers that have been suggested, the Ms would be paying him like he's a 2 WAR player which is something he's consistently bested since the 2004 season.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

So, is Brandon Wood unblocked at 3B now?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    So, is Brandon Wood unblocked at 3B now?
    They'll dog around with that guy until he's out of the league.

They give him a chance, if he doesn't hit 6 homrs that week, he's back down.

i think they overpaid but then again that's my standard line for every signing. I can never figure out the M's....they seem to take a step forward and two back but at least they do give off the scent of an organization that's interested in trying to win.

I think they overpaid, too. The guy is in his 30's, and paying him at that price for four years of production... it's not a chance I'd want the Reds to take.

High five!

It seems like he'll be a guy who provides them with surplus value over the course of his contract. He's kind of like what we always wanted Ryan Freel to be.

A thought: hitting 30 in baseball isn't a guaranteed trip to the "Carrousel" a la "Logan's Run."

Excellent strategic move to dent the Angels and give Seattle some flexibility in terms of who else they pursue this offseason.

I think they (the Ms) got a good deal if the reported numbers are correct.

They'd be paying him to be exactly major league average and his true skill is that of an above average guy.

There is always at least two obvious risks with free agents. The first is a failure to produce either through injury, unexpected decline or unrealistic expectation due to improper talent valuation. The second is a huge market correction that makes a contract untradeable (i.e. there is no longer a viable escape route).

Really, I think we have yet to see the market correct downward over multiple years so I'm betting most owners don't see that as a great risk for a longer term contract (though maybe we're seeing a temporary correction now?).

Concerning Figgin's trueskill, the M's aren't paying him like he's '09 Figgins. They're paying him like he can only be a third of that guy...

To me this is a pretty good way to dabble in the free agent market....
    Last edited by jojo; 12-05-2009 at 09:41 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Figgins would be a great addition to Seattle. He's a slightly above average bat and a plus defender who would get most of his at bats as a lefty (his better side and Safeco doesn't penalize lefties).

Given the contract numbers that have been suggested, the Ms would be paying him like he's a 2 WAR player which is something he's consistently bested since the 2004 season.
    With the new economics of the game when will the price per win be updated or do you think it will? No numbers to crunch here but the eye says instead of the 5 mil a win its now down to 4 or so.
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 12-05-2009 at 10:30 AM.

I am really shocked though that the Angels let him go for the $$$ that the M's offered him. Chone was definitely the main spark plug that made the Angels offense go and I don't think they will realize how much they will miss him next season.

I think it is a great deal for the M's as Figgins is only 31 and in great physical shape. He will be 35/36 by the end of the contract, not old by any means in baseball these days. Should give them a guy they can pencil in at the top of the order for 3-4 years with Ichiro.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?