Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays Acquiring J.Reyes, J.Johnson and M.Buerhle

Re: Blue Jays Acquiring J.Reyes, J.Johnson and M.Buerhle

I would still do Chapman for Stanton, and I think the Marlins would too.
    That's the only proposition really worth considering. I'd say if you think Cingrani can come in and give the team a representative lefty out of the pen (or if you feel comfortable with the prospects for reconstituting the BP in some other way), this is a deal you make. Stanton in GABP would be Wilt Chamberlain on an 8 foot hoop.

I'd do it.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 11-14-2012 at 07:16 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ia-out-of-mlb/

Loria has now entered two markets and all but wrecked baseball for both of them. It’s in the best interests of the game that he exit for good. Commissioner Bud Selig should step in and apply as much pressure as he legally can in order to get Loria to sell. Otherwise, Loria and the deal that allowed him to trade the Montreal Expos for the Marlins will go down as black marks on Selig’s legacy.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Blue Jays Acquiring J.Johnson and M.Buerhle

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Votto/Stanton/Bruce

Would absolutely mortgage the future for four years of that. Anyone's on the table. Back from dreamland, who's idea was this Miami debacle anyway? That's gonna be a joke next year.
    Hard to believe, but they might make the Astros look decent. LOL.

Can you imagine what the bidding war for Stanton will become?

If you really think the Reds have the prospect talent to outbid all the other teams in baseball, then A) you are over valuing the Reds' talent in the farm system, or B) perhaps the Reds would be wiser to hang on to their farm system talent to plug the future holes on this roster.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    In a world where Reyes, Buehrle, Bonifacio, Johnson, Buck, Bell, and Hanley are all had for slews of nothing, I don't think it would take Chapman to land Stanton.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    That's the only proposition really worth considering. I'd say if you think Cingrani can come in and give the team a representative lefty out of the pen (or if you feel comfortable with the prospects for reconstituting the BP in some other way), this is a deal you make. Stanton in GABP would be Wilt Chamberlain on an 8 foot hoop.

I'd do it.
    Me too. Sign Sizemore and one of the rehabbing closers. Championship.
    Go BLUE!!!

There is a lot of offseason, but it looks like the Marlins are taking the Astros route, even while the body is still warm. Maybe they figured the NL needed to replace the sorry franchise that jumped leagues?

The funny part of it is that trades like these used to be proposed on message boards and gave rise to my RZ moniker. Now teams are really doing them while the internet has realized that this type of "rebuild" is not good for the game.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    WEEI on now, they're giving Cherington credit for having the discipline not to do it.
    I stay away from EEI as a rule, but it would be fascinating to hear the rationale for why the Sox don't need two starting pitchers, a top SS and a guy like Bonifacio, all for the cost of Henry Owens and perhaps Bryce Brentz.

I figure that John Farrell did an actual face-palm when he heard about this deal.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Any truth to the rumors of another name change? Word is the team is going to be known as the MiAAAmi mAAArlins.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I doubt they would considering the size of Chapman's contract.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    Any truth to the rumors of another name change? Word is the team is going to be known as the MiAAAmi mAAArlins.
    If they trade Nolasco, there could potentially be a AAA team with a higher payroll than the Marlins.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    In a world where Reyes, Buehrle, Bonifacio, Johnson, Buck, Bell, and Hanley are all had for slews of nothing, I don't think it would take Chapman to land Stanton.
    Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I doubt they would considering the size of Chapman's contract.
    ^ The latter. The Marlins are dumping money; dumping talent is a byproduct. Stanton's cheap so there's no urgency to deal him. And it's safe to say that he won't be pried loose if it involves the Marlins taking on money, which would be the case in a Chapman swap.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    ^ The latter. The Marlins are dumping money; dumping talent is a byproduct. Stanton's cheap so there's no urgency to deal him. And it's safe to say that he won't be pried loose if it involves the Marlins taking on money, which would be the case in a Chapman swap.
    I was addressing more the current philosophy of the Marlins than I was a realistic trade proposal. My comment was really tongue in cheek; Stanton will be traded before his contract ends IMHO- likely in his second or third arbitration year, when his salary becomes equal to the other 24 players on the roster combined.

That team is a mess, and ownership and management is all over the place. This isn't a rebuild, it's a white flag being raised over the stadium. They are getting nothing prospects and dumping nearly everything of value on the roster. So who knows what it would take for Stanton?
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    If they trade Nolasco, there could potentially be a AAA team with a higher payroll than the Marlins.
    Prior to yesterday there was some talk that A-Rod could be Marlins bound. Apparently Loria thinks he'd sell tickets. I say that's a wrong and bad idea, but it's possible the Fish just moved a pile of big contracts in order to absorb A-Rod.

And if that is the case, I'd expect Nolasco to be the guy who heads over to the Yankees.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If the Reds can not land a return of Ludwick, I would not mind the Reds talking to the Jays about Adam Lind. Signed for next year for $5 mil with reasonable TEAM options after that. He would bring a potential lefty power bat. Maybe consider him even if Ludwick comes back. I doubt the price would be high at all (nonprospect minor leaguer) as I assume the Jays would be looking for an upgrade and he spent a chunk of time in AAA last season.

Turn Off Ads?