Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How about a 3 team trade?

How about a 3 team trade?

I saw on MLBTR this morning that the Rangers tried to flip Mike Olt to the Braves for Andrelton Simmons in order to swing a deal with Arizona for Justin Upton without having to give up Elvis Andrus or Jurickson Profar. Maybe the Reds could swoop in and help to facilitate a deal? I'm envisioning something like this:

Rangers get:
    Justin Upton

Reds get:
    Mike Olt
    Gerardo Parra

Diamondbacks get:
    Zach Cozart
    Mike Leake
    Drew Stubbs
    2-3 good prospects from Texas

I think this seems pretty fair. Texas gets their man in Upton without having to give up either of their prized young shortstops. Arizona gets a solid, young SS with some pop and an average pitcher who can eat innings and solidify the back end of the rotation. They also restock their farm with a bevy of young Texas prospects. Cincinnati gets a great 3B prospect who dominated AA last year and knows how to take a walk. The Reds also get Parra who is more than capable of manning CF until Hamilton is ready. Once Billy comes up, Parra can slide over into LF if one of Frazier and Olt is struggling, or he can move to the bench and play all over the OF to ensure that everyone stays rested.

Let me know what you guys think. I know there's an argument to be made for just bypassing the 3 team deal and going all in to get Upton. I wouldn't hate the idea, but I think the system is pretty depleted of position player prospects and would be very weak after another "all in" type trade. This deal would leave the Reds in a better position to address a need or two at the deadline as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How about a 3 team trade?

I would make this trade in a heartbeat, without a second thought. Instantly. "I'd drive the guys out to Arizona myself to get it done."

And if this is such an obvious slam dunk for us (it is), you can probably reconsider it from the other perspectives.

The names being thrown around for Upton include Profar, Andrus, Simmons... these guys are different class than Zack Cozart. He's a valuable SS for sure, but he's not the centerpiece of a deal for Justin Upton. He just isn't. Arizona doesn't need to trade Upton, and I'm positive they won't unless it's for the right haul. And if they're eyeballing a 24-year-old who has put up over 4 WAR each of the last two seasons and two of the best prospects in the game (including the #1), then an age 27, .280 OBP Cozart isn't likely to interest them much. If we want Upton, it starts with Billy Hamilton. I mean, we all value Hamilton highly, and many think he should be untouchable... but in the grand scheme of things, as a prospect he is not at all considered to be in the same class as guys like Simmons and Profar. If Arizona had free choice over the three of them, Hamilton would be the last they'd choose. And you think we can get him in a deal centered around Cozart?

I mean, Mike Leake is serviceable 4th or 5th guy, but that's about it. And Drew Stubbs, as I'm sure we all know, was arguably one of the worst hitters in all of baseball last year to reach a qualifying amount of ABs.

Arizona wants a SS in a deal for Upton. They aren't so desperate for one that they'll deal him just to get one.

That being said, I do love the idea of a three-team trade. And it's possible something with these clubs could work, at least in hypothetical land. I like Parra a lot, too. It's fun to speculate over.

You make a lot of valid points, but I think the part that you glossed over is the prospects. I think the whole key to this thing would obviously be the prospects. I'm not familiar enough with the Rangers' system to guess at who they might include, but if they send 2 top 100 level prospects and a high ceiling guy to Arizona, then I think this deal could get done. Arizona would then be getting two proven league average guys with lots of team control left from the Reds, a bounceback candidate in Stubbs, and a couple of potential high impact prospects from the Rangers. That's a pretty good haul in my book. I obviously like the proposed deal for the Reds, but I'm not sure I'd call it a "slam dunk".

On some level, this trade makes sense for all 3 teams, which means there is no chance on earth it would ever happen

It would take a hell of a lot more than that our scraps to get Mike Olt and Gerardo Parra because the D-Backs aren't upgrading with out 3 worst starters.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    It would take a hell of a lot more than that our scraps to get Mike Olt and Gerardo Parra because the D-Backs aren't upgrading with out 3 worst starters.
    Yeah, and also, why wouldn't you just get Justin Upton if that were the case?

Turn Off Ads?