Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Price and Dickey win Cy Young

Price and Dickey win Cy Young

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...9#.UKQyuuTAe5I

David Price of the Tampa Bay Rays and knuckleballer R.A. Dickey of the New York Mets are baseball's Cy Young Award winners.

Price barely beat out 2011 winner Justin Verlander for the American League award Wednesday in one of the closest votes ever. Dickey was an easy choice for the NL honor in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

Runner-up two years ago in the Cy Young race, Price was the pick this time for the AL's top pitching prize. He received 14 of 28 first-place votes to edge Verlander, chosen first on 13 ballots.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Price and Dickey win Cy Young

Cueto finished fourth with 75 points, one first place vote, four second place votes, ten third place votes, ten fourth place votes, two fifth place votes.

Chapman got one fifth place vote, one of nine pitchers to get a vote in the competition.

RA Dickey had this locked up for some time IMO, not only did he have a great year, but he is a "great story" and had one of the best seasons ever for a knuckleballer.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-14-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Cueto finished fourth with 75 points, one first place vote, four second place votes, ten third place votes, ten fourth place votes, two fifth place votes.

Chapman got one fifth place vote, one of nine pitchers to get a vote in the competition.

RA Dickey had this locked up for some time IMO, not only did he have a great year, but he is a "great story" and had one of the best seasons ever for a knuckleballer.
    Agreed, and he's in the NYC market. But Kershaw coming in 2nd is more surprising to me.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Why is Kershaw being 2nd a surprise?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why is Kershaw being 2nd a surprise?
    Because he didn't win? He was the best pitcher in the NL this year.

It's still a surprise when writers look beyond the win total and recognize a superior season anyway. Felix paved the way, though.

Kind of funny, though, I expected Kershaw to finish third, and there's not that much of a difference. In truth, I think he was quite a bit better than Gio.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 11-15-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

The pitcher who was voted quite a bit higher than he deserved was Gonzalez.

He should have been ranked behind Kershaw, Dickey, Cueto, maybe Lohse and arguably Krimbel and Chapman.

Those 21 wins sure look pretty though.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The pitcher who was voted quite a bit higher than he deserved was Gonzalez.

He should have been ranked behind Kershaw, Dickey, Cueto, maybe Lohse and arguably Krimbel and Chapman.

Those 21 wins sure look pretty though.
    What? Gio was arguably the second best pitcher in the league. I don't even see how you could possibly argue Lohse was better.

Gio had a 5.4 WAR and a sub-3 FIP. He had an incredible year.

Does RA Dickey win the award if he isn't from NY?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Does RA Dickey win the award if he isn't from NY?
    Depends. If he pitched most of his games in Cincinnati, if the game that he did pitch here was much of an indication, no. San Diego or San Fran, maybe. Those are pretty big parks.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    What? Gio was arguably the second best pitcher in the league. I don't even see how you could possibly argue Lohse was better.

Gio had a 5.4 WAR and a sub-3 FIP. He had an incredible year.
    A starter who wants to compete for the CYA needs to go deep into games. Gonzalez fell short of 200 innings.

31 pitchers in the majors had more, including 4 Reds. I just threw Lohse's name in there to get Mike Thiery all excited.

Turn Off Ads?