Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: should Bruce be given a long term contract like Votto

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: should Bruce be given a long term contract like Votto

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Interesting news this morning that would seem appropos to Bruce's situation. The Rays have extended Evan Longoria's contract, $100M over five years with an option for the 2023. His current contract ran through 2016 with the final three years of that having been club options. I'm not suggesting the Reds rethink their present position, although my guess is they'll revisit it next year or the year after.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...-longoria.html
    It still might get done this offseason. This situation kind of mirroring when he signed the extension in 2010. Sosnick began talking about it late November of 2010 back then, and then it got done close to Christmas time after Jocketty said in early December there'd been no talks.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    It still might get done this offseason. This situation kind of mirroring when he signed the extension in 2010. Sosnick began talking about it late November of 2010 back then, and then it got done close to Christmas time after Jocketty said in early December there'd been no talks.
    What has made you change your tune since post 43 of this thread?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    What has made you change your tune since post 43 of this thread?
    I don't see it happening. But in 2010 when I talked to Jay's agent and he told me they were all for it, I thought it was one-sided and things remained quiet up until the point where it actually happened. I think Jocketty is pretty private in terms of doing stuff like this.

Still, don't see it happening. Bruce is under control and they still have time to do this extension in a year once there is a possible clearer picture of who in the starting rotation will get long-term deals. We can't keep everyone. I do hope Jay is who we keep because I know he'll take less than market value to stay here and I think he's safe to provide the value while pitchers are not as safe as corner outfielders over the long haul.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I would add that with Longoria signing for 17 million per, maybe that would put Bruce at 15 per. That 2.4 WAR from last season is concerning though. I'd want to know what Bruce wants before making a call here.

Turn Off Ads?