Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: should Bruce be given a long term contract like Votto

Re: should Bruce be given a long term contract like Votto

Yes, but it has to be on the Reds' terms.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If he accepts a hometown discount it's a no brainer. If he won't right now I don't think the Reds would be inclined to offer 15 + million a year.

It's fantastic to hear him saying he wants to be a Red his whole career. I now have a man crush on Jay.

Unfortunately, I could see a 2017-2022 Bruce extension having more in common with the Vernon Wells or Alex Rios contracts than I do with the 2011-2017 Bruce contract. No need to take the plunge right now.
    Go BLUE!!!

I think I'd wait a couple of years. He just signed a very generous deal not two years ago that won't expire for a few more years. It sets a bit of a bad precedent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Too soon, unless he's willing to do so on very generous terms.

I believe in 5 years the Votto contract may be considered the worst contract in baseball (vying with Pujols). So, no, I don't want to give him a contract like Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I believe in 5 years the Votto contract may be considered the worst contract in baseball (vying with Pujols). So, no, I don't want to give him a contract like Votto.
    Blasphemy!

I love me some Jay Bruce .... but hell no I wouldn't extend him right now. In another two or three years, sure, I would be open to talking extension. But with five years left? Not interested. Too many things can happen between now and 2017 that would radically change his market value.

Signing players a decade out into the future almost always bites the team in the ass before the contract is up.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The big difference to extending Bruce now for 5 more years is it only takes him to about age 35. If you wait another year or two to do so, and he has that monster season, an extension might start costing $20M per season by then.

If he'll sign another 5 at say $15M as suggested, it might be hard to pass that up.

Senor Votto

I'd love love love to see Jay and Joe spend their whole careers here in Cincy

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Or this time next year. Remember that Votto hasn't homered since June. What if he doesn't hit one out before June 2013?

I'm concerned that Bruce's hot streaks at the plate will become fewer and farther between after age 30, the range he's asking the Reds to extend his deal into. Not sure that Reds fans will want the hitter that lurks below the mean, between the torrid stretches, if that guy becomes Jay's new normal in his thirties.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The big difference to extending Bruce now for 5 more years is it only takes him to about age 35. If you wait another year or two to do so, and he has that monster season, an extension might start costing $20M per season by then.

If he'll sign another 5 at say $15M as suggested, it might be hard to pass that up.
    Not for me it wouldn't. Way too much risk for a potential "reward" of $5MM per year, discounted back (present value) 6-10 years.
    Go BLUE!!!

Unsubstantiated opinion alert.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Exactly what Steve said.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Not for me it wouldn't. Way too much risk for a potential "reward" of $5MM per year, discounted back (present value) 6-10 years.
    As said, it might be $20M during his age 36+ seasons by doing the extension closer to his free agency. Just something to consider.

Turn Off Ads?