Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: should Bruce be given a long term contract like Votto

should Bruce be given a long term contract like Votto

he wants one

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/m...-entire-career

Jay Bruce's agent Matt Sosnick has approached the Reds front office about another contact extension.
    Bruce signed a six-year deal in December 2010, but he'd like to make an even longer commitment to the Reds organization. "He made it clear that he wants to be a Red his entire career," Sosnick told MLB.com on Thursday. "[Joey] Votto is in his wedding in a couple of weeks and he wants to play with him. He has a lot of friends there. He and his fiancee are very comfortable in Cincinnati. Jay asked me to approach the team and see if something is there. We'll see if the team has any interest."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: should Bruce be given a long term contract like Votto

Id be all about it. However, it should be nowhere NEAR the $ value of Votto's deal, IMO.

Here's his current contract:

2013: $7.5MM
    2014: $10MM
    2015: $12MM
    2016: $12.5MM
    2017: $13MM*

*2017 is $13MM team option with $1MM buyout.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If he wants to extend the $13M for a number of more years, why not? Even $15M is likely a bargain by then. But with 5 years to go, he'd have to take a discount to get an extension now. If Bruce gets to the next level, he'll be worth quite a bit more than his current contract.

But I really like to hear he likes to play here.

Regardless of whether he gets this contract, it is great news that players want to remain with the Reds so badly. Says a lot about what a culture of winning and a committed front office and ownership group will do for a franchise.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I'd be ok with a 5yr/$75MM extension above his current deal. That'll give him team control through 2022 (pick up $13MM team option in 2017), at which point he'll be "only" 35. If his bat continues to improve every year (at least HR totals), he could become quite a force in just 1-2 more years.

-Matt

Jay seems to be a down to earth guy. I like the head on his shoulders.

Hearing that Bruce wants to stay in Cincinnati makes me

It's honorable that he believes in the franchise and his teammates. He's not an ego that the sport must deal with unlike a lot of players in all sports. Things like Bruce's Battalion & Bruce's Buddys make him a class act.

He's 25 and I firmly believe he will do wonders for this franchise. His best is yet to come...

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I'd be ok with a 5yr/$75MM extension above his current deal. That'll give him team control through 2022 (pick up $13MM team option in 2017), at which point he'll be "only" 35. If his bat continues to improve every year (at least HR totals), he could become quite a force in just 1-2 more years.

-Matt
    After thinking about this, I think it's realistic to even do a 5yr/$100MM extension on top of his current deal. Think about it, in 2016 Reds will have a brand new TV contract, in addition to the additional money from MLB revenue-sharing, $20MM/yr will not be a lot of money (lol - I cant type that with a straight face) in 2018 - 2022.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If he wants to extend the $13M for a number of more years, why not? Even $15M is likely a bargain by then. But with 5 years to go, he'd have to take a discount to get an extension now. If Bruce gets to the next level, he'll be worth quite a bit more than his current contract.

This. I wouldn't even hesitate to extend him further. His age and his production...he'll most likely be a huge bargain once he hits his prime.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Is he asking for full no-trade clause? I'd think that would be worth something in terms of $$ as well. I like the 5/$75 added idea, too.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I don't know, I may hold off on this. The Reds have a lot of money tied up in the Votto deal from 2016-2022. and there is obviously a tremendous amount of risk that goes along with that- risk that you're willing to take so you can get Votto locked up for the next 5 years. Right now we already have Bruce locked up for the next 5 years (which I love). I see no reason to double our risk in the out years when we don't need to.

Let's see what happens with Cueto, Latos, Bailey and Chapman over these next two years. More than likely we'll need to give a big extension to at least one of them. If we still have room for Bruce after that, I'd look to extend him then. We'll also have a better idea of his performance at that point and how he projects from 2017-2022.

Keep in mind, Bruce will be on the wrong side of 30 when his current contract is up. There should be a sizeable discount for that, at least if its going to be extended with 3-4 years remaining on his current deal. If he performs at Pujols-like levels for the next 5 years, maybe there is no discount. But if he performs at Pujols-like levels for the next 5 years, I won't be too sad about anything the Reds did or didn't do in the 2012 offseason.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-15-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    This. I wouldn't even hesitate to extend him further. His age and his production...he'll most likely be a huge bargain once he hits his prime.
    He should be hitting his prime during the contract he already has. He could very well be done with his prime or at least nearing the twilight of it by the time he hits the "extension" part.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

I think so too.

Have to magine that his prime years with the bat will only improve upon what he's at now. Presumably some .900 OPS seasons ahead of him.

Still, has to be favourable dollars wise considering the lack of necessity in extending him right now. IIRC, his agent seems to be more about helping his players finding a comfortable lifestyle... kind of like the anti-Boras. People like to use him because they trust him, and the agent wants to find a good fit for what the player and the family will make them happiest. Considering Bruce is already making 7 figures, it seems sensible that he wouldn't be looking to maximize his next contract.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    He should be hitting his prime during the contract he already has. He could very well be done with his prime or at least nearing the twilight of it by the time he hits the "extension" part.
    True, but I was also thinking that if we extend him further now, we could re-negotiate the current part making it slightly lower now. Making it easier to extend both Homer and Mat.

And the "post-prime" part of his contract would still most likely be a bargain as the market cost still seems to be rising every year.

I would pass right now, just because 2017 is so far away. I still think there is a buy low opportunity now due to his K rates and lower OBP, but his HR totals are really nice. Fact is, that there are still a lot of ways to K Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?