Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jay Bruce extension

Jay Bruce extension

Jay Bruce apparently wants to add 6 more years to his contract!

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...n&ymd=20121115

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce extension

Sign him up!

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I like Jay Bruce, but I think the reds need to wait to see his production over the year or two. I know it is a gamble, but if he doesn't improve, then is he worth the money? If he does improve he will probly be commanding more money, so it is a gamble either way. Make no mistake about it tho...I want Jay Bruce here for his whole career.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I like Jay Bruce, but I think the reds need to wait to see his production over the year or two. I know it is a gamble, but if he doesn't improve, then is he worth the money? If he does improve he will probly be commanding more money, so it is a gamble either way. Make no mistake about it tho...I want Jay Bruce here for his whole career.
    If he doesn't improve..30 HR, 100 RBI (almost hit the mark this year), Gold Glove Defense, Could be the best player in MLB when on hot streak, still young.

He's a safe bet IMO. Lock him up.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    He has increased his HR total in each of his five seasons (21, 22, 25, 32, 34), as well as his RBI total (52, 58, 70, 97, 99). I'd call that improving. By the way, Bruce is the only player in MLB history to hit 20+ HR as a rookie, and then increase his HR total each of the next four years.

get him locked up, imo he is only improving and if we wait he will only cost more

Bruce's power is trending up, but his AVG, OBP, and WAR have fallen each of the last three years, and his strikeout rate has risen. Defensive metrics (however much stock you put in them) have also gone down in three consecutive years. Just playing devil's advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    Bruce's power is trending up, but his AVG, OBP, and WAR have fallen each of the last three years, and his strikeout rate has risen. Defensive metrics (however much stock you put in them) have also gone down in three consecutive years. Just playing devil's advocate.
    You do make a valid point. I'd like to see one more year of production before I start throwing numbers around.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    To be fair, our hitters rarely improve much once they reach the MLB level. Whether it's Dusty or Jacoby, or both, it's an obvious trend. I'll take the improvements Jay has made and, considering his age, lock him up long term. By no means do I consider him a finished product.

Salukifan2

He'll cost around 15 mil right? Man this team has the potential to get really expensive really fast

He's signed through 2016 with a club option for 2017. There is absolutely no rush to get this done. The only advantage for the Reds would be to increase flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    To be fair, our hitters rarely improve much once they reach the MLB level. Whether it's Dusty or Jacoby, or both, it's an obvious trend. I'll take the improvements Jay has made and, considering his age, lock him up long term. By no means do I consider him a finished product.
    Spot on. PS This is one of the most damaging indictments against Dusty and/or Jacoby IMO.

I was thinking maybe $75M/5yr

Turn Off Ads?