Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Posey, Cabrera MVPs

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,849

    Re: Posey, Cabrera MVPs

    Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    you forgot about defense and base running.
    It still doesn't over come the fact Cabrera was the best offensive player in baseball by a wide gap for 161 games and not 139. If he had those extra games to close the offensive gaps he would have had a legit shot but it was the difference in the race that wasn't even close as he was closer to 3rd than he was 1st.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,807

    Re: Posey, Cabrera MVPs

    Trout WAR - 10.0
    Cabera WAR - 7.1

    I'd say he more than made up that gap. And he is so much younger. That seemed really important to you in the ROY race. Don't tell me you are discounting it now.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    721

    Re: Posey, Cabrera MVPs

    Triple Crown is said to be overrated and WAR is trotted out as the end-all-be-all of a player's value. Hometown broke it down pretty explicitly I thought in regards to stats.

    Trout is a undeniably a Super Stud and more fun to watch, but Miggy was the man this year.

    I'm not usually one to discount numbers due to PEDs but I think it's legitimate rebuttal to the "timing" and "better TC numbers have been put up" argument. Of course bigger numbers have been put up, the game is changing back to baseball from Gorilla Ball.

  5. #19
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,807

    Re: Posey, Cabrera MVPs

    Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Triple Crown is said to be overrated and WAR is trotted out as the end-all-be-all of a player's value. Hometown broke it down pretty explicitly I thought in regards to stats.

    Trout is a undeniably a Super Stud and more fun to watch, but Miggy was the man this year.

    I'm not usually one to discount numbers due to PEDs but I think it's legitimate rebuttal to the "timing" and "better TC numbers have been put up" argument. Of course bigger numbers have been put up, the game is changing back to baseball from Gorilla Ball.
    He broke down one half of the game. Defense and base running count. Trout was the better player.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,849

    Re: Posey, Cabrera MVPs

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    He broke down one half of the game. Defense and base running count. Trout was the better player.
    Its the half that wins MVPs! Defense and base running count very little! If those things mattered pitchers would never win the MVP. but when they dominate the game with their arms like Miguel Cabrera did with the bat they win them.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,849

    Re: Posey, Cabrera MVPs

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Trout WAR - 10.0
    Cabera WAR - 7.1

    I'd say he more than made up that gap. And he is so much younger. That seemed really important to you in the ROY race. Don't tell me you are discounting it now.
    WAR doesn't translate well to MVP unless you blow the league away like Bonds and A-Rod did, if WAR did matter Votto wouldn't be the MVP and about half of the MVP's of the last decade would be different and Pujols would be an even bigger legend.

    The Tigers making the playoffs with a worse record than the Angels in worse division hold more water than WAR does in MVP talk. Age doesn't factor in when this is such a big counting stat award and Trout had less time to add to his numbers.

  8. #22
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I don't care much for arguing awards, all politics. And maybe I'm reading you wrong, but you seriously don't think BP's season was worth 2 6th place votes? Wow.

    Would agree re Bruce.
    No you're reading it correctly. No way he deserved top 6 votes.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,475

    Re: Posey, Cabrera MVPs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    No you're reading it correctly. No way he deserved top 6 votes.

    Played hard all year often despite not being 100% all of the time, batted in whatever place in the order the team needed him in, played spectacular defense, significantly elevated his game when Votto went down- can't begrudge him a couple of 6th place votes.

  10. #24
    [redacted]
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    312

    Re: Posey, Cabrera MVPs

    "Best player" and "most valuable player" are synonymous. There's no better way to add value to your team than by being the best player in the league.

    Trout was the best player in the league. I don't understand what possible argument people could make otherwise.

    Cabrera won because of a statistical coincidence. If Josh Hamilton hits 2 more homeruns or Trout bats .005 better, Cabrera loses the Triple Crown and the MVP. It's kinda a joke.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Findlay, OH
    Posts
    450

    Re: Posey, Cabrera MVPs

    As far as the AL MVP is concerned, I'll just say that I would have gone Trout hands down, but Cabrera still had a great year.

    With regards to the NL MVP, Posey was a good choice. He is one of a few who had a good shot at it. McCutchen had a great year, but he cooled off down the stretch (as did the Pirates). Braun was the best offensive performer in the NL (imo), but he plays a lesser position. Votto would have ran away with it had he not gotten hurt, but he did. Probably should have finished higher than he did but oh well. Just my $0.02

  12. #26
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Played hard all year often despite not being 100% all of the time, batted in whatever place in the order the team needed him in, played spectacular defense, significantly elevated his game when Votto went down- can't begrudge him a couple of 6th place votes.
    No...I can't.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25