Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Justin Upton A Red?

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Justin Upton A Red?

No links or rumors but I have to think with interest in Torri Hunter that some interest would be in Upton. I can see a package around Arizona State boy; Mike Leake. Include perhaps Didi Gregorious and the package start to come together. Perhaps they could be interested in Drew Stubbs or Chris Heisey.

Sure now it depends on the developement of Billy Hamilton in CF and Aroldis Chapman as a SP. It's nice to have depth.. But when you can aquire a young superstar what is really the price?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Justin Upton A Red?

Walt has a better shot of getting a date with Kate Upton than getting BJs brother Justin from the D-Backs with those players even if you gave them all 4 of Mike, Didi, Stubbs and Heisey.
    Last edited by mattfeet; 11-16-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Walt has a better shot of getting a date with Kate Upton than getting BJs brother Justin from the D-Backs with those players even if you gave them all 4 of Mike, Didi, Stubbs and Heisey.
    Question becomes, which would he accept if he had to chose one?
    Last edited by mattfeet; 11-16-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Helms1 View Post
    Question becomes, which would he accept if he had to chose one?
    Now that's funny. You've got a sharp wit, Helms1.

Quote Originally Posted by rgslone View Post
    Now that's funny. You've got a sharp wit, Helms1.
    For some reason we all knew that was probably going to be tweeked, but I think Walt would go for the player and the rest of us I hope would have enough PED (testosterone) to take the best offer.

Salukifan2

This is like the third speculative thread about Justin Upton. Every single proposed trade doesn't involve moving Hamilton to the d backs which is crazy. Upton is 25 and is a five tool proven major leaguer. That being said, a proposed trade with Hamilton as the center piece makes sense for both clubs. Hamilton's speed isn't going to be that important when patrolling the small confines of the GAB and Upton's bat would certainly flourish there with the help of the players around him and the size of the ball park.

the reds could possibly grab Upton if they were willing to give up at least HAmilton and 1 of their top pitching prospects. Cingrani, Stephenson, or Corcino.

While I agree that Leake and Cozart or Didi isn't enough to get a deal done, I think it's a heck of a good start. Upton is a good player, but I think people forget that while he has 3 years of team control remaining, his contract isn't exactly cheap.

I also don't get this notion that the Reds have to give up their number 1 prospect to get a player like Upton. The Reds didn't give up their number 1 or 2 prospect when they acquired Latos. The Nationals didn't give up their number 1 or 2 prospect when they acquired Gio Gonzalez. So why again do the Reds have to give up their number 1 prospect to get Upton?

I'm not saying I wouldn't give up Hamilton under any circumstances. I'm just saying it's fairly rare for a number 1 prospect to get moved even in a deal for an ace pitcher or outstanding position player with a favorable contract situation.

Salukifan2

Becuase Your number 1 prospect is only ranked 21st of all prospects in mlb right now soley on his ability to run. Billy hamilton is not the next ty cobb like so many have branded him. The guy only hit .286 at double A and has struck out at a rate that is comparable to Drew Stubbs in his last two full seasons. If he would have played 162 games in the past two years he would average about 140 or so k's. not so good for a future leadoff man and you can't blame it on his age becuase he is already 22 and will be probably 23 before is an everyday big leaguer.

In return you would be getting a 25 year old who in 3 of his 5 full seasons had an ops over .800 and it has never been below .775. Also he would be benefited greatly to be around players like Votto and Phillips who he can learn alot from. Not to mention his power numbers would only go up playing in cincinnati, which as i said earlier is a ball park where hamilton's speed isn't really needed in the outfield.

And in response to what you said about getting Latos, before he got busted Grandal was ranked about 5 spots ahead of Hamilton in the top 50 prospects. You also gave up Alonso who was also in the mlb top 100 prospects, so actually you gave up, at the time, more to get Latos possibly than you would have to to acquire Upton. And upton right now is a more established big leaguer than latos was a year ago.

Also, you can never look at anything Billy Beane does with normal baseball common sense. That man traded Carlos Gonzalez for matt Holiday and then traded matt Holiday to the cardinals for Brett Wallace. So no one really knows why he does the things he does
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 11-16-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittingham.Sam View Post
    Becuase Your number 1 prospect is only ranked 21st of all prospects in mlb right now soley on his ability to run. Billy hamilton is not the next ty cobb like so many have branded him. The guy only hit .286 at double A and has struck out at a rate that is comparable to Drew Stubbs in his last two full seasons. If he would have played 162 games in the past two years he would average about 140 or so k's. not so good for a future leadoff man and you can't blame it on his age becuase he is already 22 and will be probably 23 before is an everyday big leaguer.
    I hope you aren't referring to Stubbs' MLB K rate

I agree w/ the above. If those are hamiltons hitting numbers, they do concern me. Plus he is 22. Now hes not old or anything but its not like he is an 18 or 19 year old phenom like harper or trout. He will be arriving to the MLs at a normal pace and is not exactly lighting it up w/ the bat at AA.

I cant wait to see him play and hope he is great. But I also dont think he is this untouchable piece many think he is.

Salukifan2

I'm not trying to take anything away from Billy Hamilton i think he is a great ball player and any team would want him in their system but sometimes you have to see which prospects are meant for your team or are better to be used as trade bait.

Salukifan2

in 2010 hamilton struck out 133 times in 135 games and in 2011 he struck out 113 in 130 games. Better but not a whole lot better and that is from baseball reference.

except for 2011 when stubbs k'd 200 times their k numbers are pretty similar.

On top of that, you don't just say one day, "i'm going to start playing centerfield," which after catcher, is the most difficult defensive position in baseball. There is no way he will be mlb ready for center field at any time in 2013. I mean for christ sake he's only played 50 games at double-A
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 11-16-2012 at 08:36 PM.

nothing against juan pierre but thats about what hamilton is projected to be as a MLB player. And Juan pierre has had a very good career and has been a great leadoff hitter w/ very good OBPs but does a prospect w/ that ceiling project as untouchable?

I wouldnt be openly shopping him but if AZ called and said Upton is available lets start the negotiation w/ Hamilton. The Reds have to listen.

Salukifan2

He's got more pop than pierre but not alot more, and pierre's batting average was much higher in the minors.
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 11-16-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Im not saying they are exactly the same but they are close enough to compare.

Turn Off Ads?