Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was your first Reds game you remember attending?

What was your first Reds game you remember attending?

I would love to hear about everyone's first Reds experience.

The first Reds game I remember going to was against San Diego in 1991. I was 8 at the time and didn't really know much about baseball. I knew the Reds were the champs and for some reason I thought they had always been the champs, not grasping the fact that there was a World Series every year.

My parents just told me they were the best team in baseball and I assumed that meant they always had been.

Anyways, from what I remember of the game, our seats were somewhere behind home plate in the Green Seats. They were a bunch of Latino Padres fans in front of us and after my Mom explained to me what Padres meant I thought in my 8 year old brain that all Padres fans were Latino.

As for the game, the Reds lost.

Yeah not much of a story but I'd love to hear some other stories!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What was your first Reds game you remember attending?

I dont know what the first game was but the earliest I can remember was the game Barry Larkin became a 30/30 shortstop.

My memory of it is obviously sketchy, but for me it would have been a Reds/Giants game around 1967 or 1968, at Crosley Field. I was maybe 5 or 6 years old. The only thing I clearly remember is my dad pointing to the field and saying "that's Willie Mays right there". For some reason that one line always stayed in my memories. The earliest games I can clearly remember would have been in the early years of Riverfront Stadium. Special times and special teams. And obviously a great time to be a kid attending Reds games.

Tuesday, August 14, 1979 vs. the Phillies at Riverfront. I was in Dayton visiting my Aunt and Uncle and they took me to my first baseball game ever. I wasn't a baseball fan at the time, only 9 yrs. old but soon after the game I became a Reds fan for life! The Reds won 2-1 in 10 innings on a Vic Correll pinch hit double driving in Ray Knight. Steve Carlton went the distance striking out 12 and Bill Bonham pitched 8 innings for the home team. Tom Hume got the win in relief. I don't remember what kind of reception Pete Rose got returning to Cincy but I think he had visited earlier in the season so it wasn't too bad.

Riverfront...1982, Red seats...got lost and large police officer found my group.

Reds won 10-0 over the Cardinals

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

It was in 1988 and I believe it was against the Pirates. I was 5 years old. I remember trying to learn how to fill out a scorecard.

It would have to be around 1949 or 1950. I was 9 or 10 and went to Crosley Field with a church group. I don't remember the score or who one. I don't even remember who they were playing. We kids were more interested in the concession stand. Oh yeh, we had box seats right behind home plate.

It was against the Giants with Mays and McCovey! At Crosley Field, 1966, I was 9 years old. Don't remember the score but it was Tommy Harper Bat Day!

I believe my first game was this one http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99508062.shtml

I got there towards the end of the game before (so i got double free baseball since game 2 went extras ). I need to see if I can find the stub... I was 7

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...01008290.shtml

my first of only two games i've been to. me and my folks sat in the left field bleachers in the first row near the Reds' bullpen. it was friggin' hot that day and it didn't help when there were a lot more sky than clouds lol

my neck and arms were burnt. luckly, i wore a cap so my face wasn't burnt. at least, not as much as my neck and arms lol
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

Below the Mendoza line Larry Largen's Avatar

When I was a toddler I was at Riverfront to see the Big Red Machine. But the first game i remember was the Reds at dodger stadium in "06" Griffey Jr hit a home run! I sat in field level seats on the first base side.
    Starring out the window, waiting for spring.

June 27, 1986 I went to the game with my best friend's family. I remember the first time I saw the field I had never seen anything so green before in my life. I don't remember who won the game but that night I stayed at my friends house that next morning I got a call to come home and I was then told that my mother had passed away. She had been battling cancer for sometime. I was 12 years old.

My first game was 1975 against the Expos sitting in the green seats behind home plate. My relatives somehow got the tickets through Pete Mackanin when he played for the Expos. The Reds won the game. I thought the astro turf was super cool when I saw it. I still have the plastic Reds helmet purchased at that game currently in my billiard room.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

1987: Astros v. Reds. Ted Power was pitching. I remember Dave Parker was hbp and charged the mound.

Saw Tom Seaver's first or second start for the reds i think in 77 at Olympic stadium .I don't remember much except just missed catching a Pete Rose batting Practice home run!

Turn Off Ads?