Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was your first Reds game you remember attending?

Re: What was your first Reds game you remember attending?

Aug 16 or 17, 1983 in Pittsburgh. My parents took me for my birthday, driving up from NC and stopping at Gettysburg and a few other places on the way (always had educational things like that in our family trips). I was a huge Johnny Bench fan as a kid-became a catcher because of him-so my parents took me to see him before he retired (they had moved to NC from Pittsburgh, so was a chance for them to see old friends as well). I have never looked it up to confirm it, but think JB hit his last road homer that game. Only other thing I recall is the Pittsburgh Penguins team was sitting in front of us, kept standing so I couldnt see and I finally told them to sit down-to my dads shock and concern of how they would react.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was only seven years old but I rememeber the game because the Reds hit 7 home runs and beat the Cubs 22-2. Even Hal Jeffcoat, the starting pitcher hit one out. My family was sitting in left field just a few seats from the field and I thought that Crosley Field was the most beautiful place I'd ever seen. The date was June 1, 1957.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Reds-Dodgers circa 1977 or 78. I wish I knew the date for sure. I've always wanted to go back and see box score for the game. All I can recall is Johnny Bench went deep, I think, twice. I know he had one. Dad was a Reds fan and Mom was a Dodgers fan. Me and Dad went home happy.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

In the fall of '81 I saw the Reds and Dodgers play. The Reds still had some BRM holdovers. I think Pastore may have been on the mound, but I remember the other eight for sure: Bench, Dreissen, Oester, Knight, Concepcion, Foster, Griffey and Collins.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I dont remember it but my first game was when my dad snuck me to a Reds game when I was 4 weeks old. My mother was furious.

In 1973 my father was USAF, just stationed at WPAFB, in Dayton. Back in those days, before Al Gore invented the internet, we headed to the Rike's department store ticket office to get our tickets. The lady behind the counter pulled out blocks of tickets that they had available for upcoming games. No such thing as 'best available', only the best available from the bundle of tickets that the store was allotted. Front row, right behind second base.

On game day morning, armed with a poster sized book of maps from Rand McNally,(no GPS then), we hopped on I-75. As we got closer to Cinci the lack of detail in the map made it useless. Stuck in traffic, we noticed a small 'stadium' sign pointing to get off the exit. So we turned off the Ezzard Charles road exit. No stadium in sight. Keeping with the flow of traffic we continued looking for more signs that would direct us in the right direction. Nothing. As we passed by a huge stretch of metal recycling/junk yard looking part of town we were sure we couldn't possibly be in the right place. But then as the road swung to the left, there it was, Riverfront Stadium straight at the end of the road. It was Beautiful! It looked like a crown at the end of our road.

Honestly, don't remember much specifically about the game. Who won? Don't know. Who did we play? Not sure. Just seeing Sparky Anderson, Pete Rose, Tony Perez and the rest of the Big Red Machine in person for the first time was such a treat. But, most of all, it was the memories of the adventure of going to our first game that I cherish the most.

I'm still waiting to pop my cherry

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    Tuesday, August 14, 1979 vs. the Phillies at Riverfront. I was in Dayton visiting my Aunt and Uncle and they took me to my first baseball game ever. I wasn't a baseball fan at the time, only 9 yrs. old but soon after the game I became a Reds fan for life!
    Geez, that sounds almost like my first game. I was 10 and we were in Dayton visiting relatives the first week of August in 1979 and my dad decided to take me and my cousin to a Reds game. They were playing the Braves and we sat in the upper level down the 3rd base line. The Reds hit 2 or 3 HR's and won 3-1.

1984 in the green seats. I don't remember anything about the game, but I do remember seeing the field coming out of the tunnel and also walking on the rubber dividers outside of the stadium between the blocks of concrete.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Turn Off Ads?