Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your all-time favorite Red?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Your all-time favorite Red?

For me, it's Johnny Bench. I know he's widely regarded as the best catcher ever, but I think it's somewhat overlooked about how truly great he was early on. He put up some ridiculous numbers his first few years before undergoing lung surgery. He was still great after that, but not the same as he was before. The fact that he played the most demanding position gets him bonus points as well.

Re: Your all-time favorite Red?

Pete Rose. My all time favorite professional athlete period.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Pete Rose. My all time favorite professional athlete period.
    Ditto.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Eric the Red followed by Davey Concepcion.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Eric Davis...hands down!!!

Salukifan2

Where's love for adam dunn?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brittingham.Sam View Post
    Where's love for adam dunn?
    This thread is for fav Red...not fav donkey....lol.

though his best years werent with the reds ill go with Griffey. for a player who best years were with the reds ill go larkin

Mine was always Bench too. It has taken a hit over the years as I have met him a couple times and he was as big an arrogant ahole as any athlete I have ever met. I would have to put Larkin second, and B-Phil is up there for current players, as he is not only a great player but is awesome with his fans-something that means a lot more to me now.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Vada Pinson -- he caused me to become a Reds fan from northern Indiana
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Larkin. I grew up in the 90's, and he was pretty much the face of the franchise. Not to mention he was just fun to watch.

Eric Davis

Barry Larkin - I love how he played the game. From his hitting approach going the other way to his range in the hole at shortstop to his base running, he was a treat to watch.

I would have said Pete Rose at one time. I even wore his number a couple different years at the Babe Ruth level of baseball. But the stuff he did after retiring -- the gambling, the lying, the overall smug attitude he had about it all -- completely changed my opinion of him. Incredible baseball player but a poor excuse for a human being.

Mine was Johnny Bench. My first game to watch at Riverfront stadium in 1972, he hit a homerun and from then on i started to watch him handle the catching and his power. I still remember that 1972 playoff game. I ran outside and pretened to hit a homerun like Johnny Bench. not 2 minutes later (Because i missed it on TV), my friend ran out yelling "Johnny Hit a homerun!!!" I was all smiles. Then I remember i was watching a doubleheader against the Giants and he didnt play game #1. So my friends and I snuck down and was able to sit maybe 10 rows back behind home plate. Johnny came up to bat and they flashed on the scoreboard it was his parents wedding anniversary. I stood up and yelled "Hit a homerun for your parents Johnny" just then his family looked my way as they were sitting behind the dugout. Then the 2nd pitch i think he put it in the green seats! Always remember that. Then the day before I was going into the Air Force, I was listening to the Reds on the radio. Johnny was up and i just whispered "Hit a homer Johnny, I dont know when i will get the next chance to listen to the Reds again".. and I am serious, he hit a homerun that AB!.. I grinned and said Thanks Johnny. So he is my favorite. I got his autograph on a poster back when the Big Red Machine was signing at the convention center. Always will remember that.

Griffey was my 2nd fav. I was a fan of the Reds and Mariners and knowing Junior was from here I always dreamed he would be a Red. I will never forget the day they said he was a Red!.. I was so happy.. And despite all the injuries, i never turned against him. I only wish the Reds FO would have kept Greg Vaughn to be the teams leader and and bat 4th after him. I feel that would have helped him more and not feel he had to be the guy to homer every AB in every game to carry the team..

Turn Off Ads?