Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: The Autograph Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Ah, the sun. It's got me a few times. Most of mine are on display in a room we blacked out and made into a movie theater.

But with yours- pictures! LOL
    Yeah, I keep the room they are in pretty dark because I have a projector in here for a television and since I didn't spend $3000+ on it, it needs to be a little bit darker than normal to use it. Watching things before noon usually doesn't work in that room.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Julia Roberts may be a multimillionaire but if she's signing for you, she's inscribing, adding pretty much nothing to my net worth. Though "lights are on" in the photo, so I have that going for me.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-642
    Did you meet her in person or something since it is personalized? When I first started out collecting, I started to get some personalized until I realized that no one would ever want one that was personalized. And in some cases, I really don't mind. My Wilco autograph is personalized and it's one of my favorites. The Dave Matthews one is personalized too, although I got that one many many years ago long before I ever started collecting. The Lady Gaga one is personalized too, but for some reason, I don't mind. I think that even though it definitely decreases the value, in a way it's cool because you get to see more of the person's handwriting.

I've never had someone mandate that something be personalized. I do have a Polaroid that I took with someone that is also personalized from a long time ago attached here (though I'm cropping myself out)!

Attachment 6774

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Did you meet her in person or something since it is personalized? When I first started out collecting, I started to get some personalized until I realized that no one would ever want one that was personalized. And in some cases, I really don't mind. My Wilco autograph is personalized and it's one of my favorites. The Dave Matthews one is personalized too, although I got that one many many years ago long before I ever started collecting. The Lady Gaga one is personalized too, but for some reason, I don't mind. I think that even though it definitely decreases the value, in a way it's cool because you get to see more of the person's handwriting.

I've never had someone mandate that something be personalized. I do have a Polaroid that I took with someone that is also personalized from a long time ago attached here (though I'm cropping myself out)!

Attachment 6774
    I did not meet her- the person who got it was getting it for me so when she said it had to be personalized, he had to make a call...

I still paid him, even though I knew I was getting a little shafted on the price we agreed on .

I didn't care, I had no intention of selling it. Eighteen years later I still feel the
    same way.

That Springsteen is awesome. Awesome!

I did not meet her- the person who got it was getting it for me so when she said it had to be personalized, he had to make a call...

I still paid him, even though I knew I was getting a little shafted on the price we agreed on .

I didn't care, I had no intention of selling it. Eighteen years later I still feel the
    same way.

That Springsteen is awesome. Awesome!
    Interesting. I wonder if she still mandates that? Here is a trick I have heard the dealers talk about in the instances where someone requires a name. Tell them that your name is Loue, and make sure to spell it for them. The letter "u" could be passed off as a "v" and there you go! I still wonder if the person signing wouldn't think twice about that? Maybe it depends on the person. I have never tried it myself.

Also, I must retract what i said about earlier. There was 1 person who mandated my name when they signed for me...Judi Dench. I really didn't/don't mind though.

Hey Dom, any thoughts on whether the "All Access VIP" package would be worth it at the National Collectors Convention?

http://nsccshow.com/vip_tickets.shtml

The show: http://nsccshow.com/

Some interesting names, but I have no idea if they are common signers or not. I'd be interested in guys like Jim Brown and Dr. J. Probably Deion Sanders also.

I've never gotten into autographs at all, but since this is in Cleveland I'm thinking of taking my father in law. Not in love with the idea of standing in line for hours, so was looking at the VIP and thought you might have some general insight.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Hey Dom, any thoughts on whether the "All Access VIP" package would be worth it at the National Collectors Convention?

http://nsccshow.com/vip_tickets.shtml

The show: http://nsccshow.com/

Some interesting names, but I have no idea if they are common signers or not. I'd be interested in guys like Jim Brown and Dr. J. Probably Deion Sanders also.

I've never gotten into autographs at all, but since this is in Cleveland I'm thinking of taking my father in law. Not in love with the idea of standing in line for hours, so was looking at the VIP and thought you might have some general insight.
    First thing I would do is search the web for the experience of past VIP purchasers.

See what their experience was in year's past.

I would think you'll be okay here- these people are there to sign autographs so it should be a good buy.

VIP's for rock concerts are quite different- I'd always be very cautious with meet and greets and such. They are a totally different experience with each band.

Something like you're asking about- see if there are reviews, if not you should still be okay. You just want to make sure you get the sigs you want and that the package gives you an advantage in getting them.

12. Likes:

Redsfaithful (03-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if she still mandates that? Here is a trick I have heard the dealers talk about in the instances where someone requires a name. Tell them that your name is Loue, and make sure to spell it for them. The letter "u" could be passed off as a "v" and there you go! I still wonder if the person signing wouldn't think twice about that? Maybe it depends on the person. I have never tried it myself.

Also, I must retract what i said about earlier. There was 1 person who mandated my name when they signed for me...Judi Dench. I really didn't/don't mind though.
    I should say Julia only mandated it on oversize items or really nice pictures. Most 8x10's and index cards weren 't an issue. She's not signing a movie poster or book photo without inscribing it...she was TOUGH for awhile there , not sure if it's better now.

Your inscription trick is cool. Most of the autograph hounds carried glossies and then just applied acetone to remove the inscription.

Robin Givens wouldn't sign her nude photos, so guys would draw bikinis on her in Sharpie, have her sign it, and then apply the acetone to remove the bikini lol...

Why these celebrities care is beyond me...

You could bring a stack of photos to Brad Pitt and he'd sit there, for 20 minutes, examining each photo- I'll sign this one, not going to sign this one...just strange. Though, he is one gracious signer, I'll add that.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 03-04-2014 at 08:14 PM.

Pele was a bust for me. Apparently it was a diaster...

http://live.autographmagazine.com/fo...ource=activity

Thankfully I didn't waste too much time here. I saw how crazy the line was an hour before the singing and bowed out. He had a couple of other appearances that I tried for. He briefly signed at 1 (thought it didn't make it to me) and all of the other ones he refused. No wonder his autograph is valuable.

Here's the latest acquisition- a Robert Plant signed guitar with a lyric from Stairway to Heaven. The cool thing is he added "Agh!" afterwards, showing his own tiredness of the song, which is well documented. Pretty sweet.

http://api.ning.com/files/ujcza9N5Gb...BY1c/image.jpg

16. Likes:

REDblooded (05-09-2014),Redsfaithful (05-08-2014)

Was able to get this the other day. I would've loved a ball instead, but it wasn't an option as they had strict rules. I think the signature looks great though!

Name:  nr.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  288.0 KB

18. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-09-2014),Redsfaithful (05-09-2014)

Here's the latest acquisition- a Robert Plant signed guitar with a lyric from Stairway to Heaven. The cool thing is he added "Agh!" afterwards, showing his own tiredness of the song, which is well documented. Pretty sweet.

http://api.ning.com/files/ujcza9N5Gb...BY1c/image.jpg
    beautiful. how'd you acquire?

Turn Off Ads?