Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Re: The Autograph Thread

As a side note, I heard from another guy in line who was ahead of me that he was talking on his phone as he was signing books! I can't say I'm surprised given my prior experiences but I've never witnessed such a thing. I would definitely rate him as the rudest one I've come across.

And I should give a nod to the nicest (if I haven't already in this thread)...Matt Damon. Probably the most fan-friendly celebrity I've encountered.

2. Turn Off Ads?

dom clear out your inbox

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Fearofpop, clean out your inbox! lol

The Antiques Roadshow had a bonanza on this week (New York City, season 19, Ep 1, I believe). $1M worth of baseball cards never before seen. 1871 Boston Red Stockings, who were mostly ex Cincinnati Red Stockings, along with sentences of comment about the place they were boarding at with signatures from the Wright Brothers, Spaulding, etc. Looked like a complete set of cards of the team and they were in very good condition (though most were cut to fit into a display that the 65-year old's grandfather put together. He got them from his Mom who was the woman who boarded them and cooked "terribly" for them). The A.R. representative started tearing up when speaking about them, she was so happy to see them. It was pretty cool.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Here is a stage used Stevie Nick's tambourine signed by all 5 of Fleetwood Mac. This is from a former VP of Warner Bros. records (from Cincy).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	8582

Awesome thread, hate I just now found it after being on here all these years! I have collected autos since the early 80s as a young kid and prob have over 1000 sigs in all, but many aren't anyone big. I do mostly sports, and all for my own collection or donate to charity or give to others-I have never sold a single one. My favs include a set of jerseys-one of each starter and Sparky from the BRM-too many to frame and display, but do have the Dave C one framed. I also have a collection of balls, each one signed by a member of the BRM-nearly the entire team besides a few pitchers/bench players. My overall fav is a UD authenticated MJ signed UNC jersey my wife gave me for a wedding gift, and then a MJ UD ball she got me for our 5th anniversary. I also have nearly the entire 2012 UNC UD set signed-just missing the MJ card from there. Wish I has some music ones like the ones posted here!!! Some great ones I would love to have in my bar room. I think Willie Nelson, Led Zep, and Michael Jackson would be my dream music sigs-I know, crazy mix there. I once got lucky and got Bill Clinton and then Jimmy Carter to sign baseballs for me 2 days apart.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

8. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-11-2015)

A super rare Zeppelin guitar sans Bonham, of course, but beautiful examples of the living 3.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zep Guitar.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	9399

10. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (01-05-2016)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Dom, is that floor real wood?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dom, is that floor real wood?
    I don't know this pic was taken by my friend who owned the guitar.

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	10018

Eric Clapton signed guitar. The guy who obtained it was also the guy who helped design Kurt Cobain's Fender Mustang. He was the director of artist relations for Fender way back in the 1990s, died very young shortly thereafter.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	10019

This is also pretty cool. This is a gold record award given to Butch Vig for 25,000 sales of "Nevermind" in Finland. This hung on his office wall at his studio in Wisconsin where much of the demos for "Nevermind" were recorded.

It's one of the earliest awards for the album.

He signed the back of it, too.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 11-10-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Name:	Metallica Guitar.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	283.8 KB 
ID:	10020

A 3/4 Metallica ESP signed guitar. Sorry it is dusty in the photo, I cleaned it up.

I try to post some rare things when I see them- this is a Nirvana setlist, handwritten by Kurt Cobain. The living members of Nirvana confirmed its authenticity and signed it. Dave Grohl's sig is right above "Teen," and Pat Smear is on the right edge. Krist is on the left margin. Aaron Burkhard and Chad Channing also saw this. Pretty cool.

Name:	Nirvana handwritten Cobain.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	10156

I find setlists fascinating. Back in the day, most artists hand wrote it themselves- in this picture below, you'll see Kurt Cobain taped this setlist to an amp. It is also his personal handwriting.

Name:	Nirvana 2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	10158

Dave Grohl eventually wrote them later. Here is one that has a footprint on it that sold for close to $10,000 not long ago. It still has the electrical tape on it where it was placed on the stage.

Name:	Nirvana 3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	10159
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-18-2015 at 05:17 PM.

17. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (01-05-2016)

Dom, what are your thoughts on how younger athletes and celebrities sign their name? The reds are a good example of what I am talking about. Billy Hamiltons signature is basically a B and an H with lines next to it. Votto and Phillips signature are not readable unless you know who it is beforehand. I belong to a FB autograph board and its not just the Reds but younger celebrities in general who just do not take pride in their signature.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Dom, what are your thoughts on how younger athletes and celebrities sign their name? The reds are a good example of what I am talking about. Billy Hamiltons signature is basically a B and an H with lines next to it. Votto and Phillips signature are not readable unless you know who it is beforehand. I belong to a FB autograph board and its not just the Reds but younger celebrities in general who just do not take pride in their signature.
    I used to work for a guy who was very famous within his field. So people would come up to him when we worked conventions and asked for his autograph. He would get down on one knee and sign on his leg or place it on a table to make sure it looked perfect. He had this big thing he would go through and he even told me one time that he tried to make it special for the person. I always thought that was the way to go. Marty Brenneman signed for me once and it was every single letter. It can be done.

Now- take it to the next level where everyone is asking constantly all day, they want multiples, it gets tiring. There is no way to really take your time and make it nice.

I think what impresses me is the ones who sign for everyone, regardless of how many requests there are. Kevin Hart is awesome about that. It doesn't look like much, he's thinking sign as many as he can to keep everyone happy.

As well- the ones who normally sign scribbly but if you catch them one on one they will sign perfectly. I have a Warren beatty that is so good people don't think it's real. He normally gives you just a "WB." I got something else, not quite "Warren Beatty," but pretty close.

I belong to several autograph boards, almost all have a section where they ask "Who signed this? " and everyone weighs in because sometimes you have no clue.

Turn Off Ads?