Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Re: The Autograph Thread

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Dom...what is your take on how todays athletes and celebrities write their names in such a way that no one can read it? I think it is going to hurt the future of this hobby if all the autographs are nothing more than scribble and no one can read it.
    They have severe arthritis?

Honestly, I remember this being fairly common in the seventies, at least on reproduced autographs.
    [Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Dom...what is your take on how todays athletes and celebrities write their names in such a way that no one can read it? I think it is going to hurt the future of this hobby if all the autographs are nothing more than scribble and no one can read it.
    I hear people complain, yet they still fork over the money for illegible graphs. The thing that makes most collectors unhappy is the inconsistency. Al Pacino hands out the worst in person sig of all time, and it would help if he would be consistent about it...but he is all over the place, which makes it impossible to authenticate.

But to your point, a Madonna scribble is still worth a lot of money.

4. Likes:

marcshoe (08-07-2018)

Where I worry for the hobby (which is why I like stage used stuff) is that the internet has made it so easy to buy and sell and that there are so many people out hounding people for sigs is that things simply arent rare.

You could not give me a signed "The Wall" by Roger Waters...... I mean he stands there for hours with a pen and signs for homeless people....

Springsteen is so good about it these days that his value has plummeted.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    They have severe arthritis?

Honestly, I remember this being fairly common in the seventies, at least on reproduced autographs.
    I disagree. Its way worse now.

I saw a team autographed phote of the Cubs last year and could read maybe 5 signatures. Most were scribble.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I disagree. Its way worse now.

I saw a team autographed phote of the Cubs last year and could read maybe 5 signatures. Most were scribble.
    Just remember that if what they hand out mostly is scribble, then the value should be there- it's mostly about supply and demand.

If they write perfectly most of the time but you get scribble when you ask...then you are screwed out of some value.

I'm a big defender of poor penmanship.
    [Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I'm a big defender of poor penmanship.
    Some scribbles actually are cool-

This does not say "Chris Cornell," but it's kinda neat.

Attachment 13945

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Where I worry for the hobby (which is why I like stage used stuff) is that the internet has made it so easy to buy and sell and that there are so many people out hounding people for sigs is that things simply arent rare.

You could not give me a signed "The Wall" by Roger Waters...... I mean he stands there for hours with a pen and signs for homeless people....

Springsteen is so good about it these days that his value has plummeted.
    True story...I once tried to get Roger Waters and there were literally only like maybe 12-15 people. He signed for the dealers (who had vinyl) and wouldn't sign a CD insert for me. I have no idea why he wouldn't sign for me, but it really irked me. He also complained that it was "effing freezing" outside multiple times.

Springsteen going on Broadway has to be the worst thing ever for collectors of his autograph. The market is certainly flooded now. Since he's rarely seen in public and always travels with security, it's historically been a lot harder to get him. I have several of his, but I never got them with the intention of selling. I probably should have though.

I also have a few Pacino's from when he was on Broadway. It's funny, they all look completely different. However, one thing I noted was that if you had him sign a photo, he would sign it illegibly. But if you gave him a program from the play, the signature looked much better. I even had a dealer tell me he was jealous of the signature I had because it was one of the best ones from Al he'd seen.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    True story...I once tried to get Roger Waters and there were literally only like maybe 12-15 people. He signed for the dealers (who had vinyl) and wouldn't sign a CD insert for me. I have no idea why he wouldn't sign for me, but it really irked me. He also complained that it was "effing freezing" outside multiple times.

Springsteen going on Broadway has to be the worst thing ever for collectors of his autograph. The market is certainly flooded now. Since he's rarely seen in public and always travels with security, it's historically been a lot harder to get him. I have several of his, but I never got them with the intention of selling. I probably should have though.

I also have a few Pacino's from when he was on Broadway. It's funny, they all look completely different. However, one thing I noted was that if you had him sign a photo, he would sign it illegibly. But if you gave him a program from the play, the signature looked much better. I even had a dealer tell me he was jealous of the signature I had because it was one of the best ones from Al he'd seen.
    Do you in any way resemble Rick Wright?

12. Likes:

fearofpopvol1 (08-23-2018)

Nowadays Roger has become a joke- he signs so many....there were dealers paying homeless people....lines of folks....and he just signs and signs and signs. It isn't Pete Rose level, but there isnt much value there anymore.

Al did a private signing and those sigs are just beautiful. We may have discussed this, but here is one:

Attachment 13999

That is about as nice as he gets.

Dam, I Dylan as hard a IP signature as I have heard? He is coming near me in Sept and I have a poster I loved from a show of him and Willie Nelson a few years ago that I got Willie to sign and would love to add him to it, but have heard not even worth the effort.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Dam, I Dylan as hard a IP signature as I have heard? He is coming near me in Sept and I have a poster I loved from a show of him and Willie Nelson a few years ago that I got Willie to sign and would love to add him to it, but have heard not even worth the effort.
    Your chances of getting Dylan are small.

Now- if you can find his hotel....where he parks his tour bus...and maybe you are the only one there....he does go for long walks with his hood pulled over his head...he may talk to you, but the second you pull out that poster he is going to be freaked out. He is a strange dude.

I had a friend who used to get him, but he brought him stuff...like old boxing memorabilia...like a trade. He loves the History Channel, things like that.

But he knows what his signature is worth....it's a lot of money....so he'll say something like "If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you..."

If you say, "I'm a big fan," be prepared for a quiz..."oh really what is your favorite album?"

People who get close say it is the weirdest experience, but some do get lucky, and the only way to get lucky is to be there.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 08-23-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Nowadays Roger has become a joke- he signs so many....there were dealers paying homeless people....lines of folks....and he just signs and signs and signs. It isn't Pete Rose level, but there isnt much value there anymore.

Al did a private signing and those sigs are just beautiful. We may have discussed this, but here is one:

Attachment 13999

That is about as nice as he gets.
    To be honest, I just wanted the autograph for myself and also one for my friend who is a diehard fan of not only PF, but Waters himself. The value didn't (doesn't) even matter. So it bummed me out.

I think we did discuss Pacino a long time ago, but that is a beautiful sig from him. I'm going to see if I can find the one I have and post it. I just have to do some digging.

17. Likes:

Dom Heffner (08-23-2018)

To be honest, I just wanted the autograph for myself and also one for my friend who is a diehard fan of not only PF, but Waters himself. The value didn't (doesn't) even matter. So it bummed me out.

I think we did discuss Pacino a long time ago, but that is a beautiful sig from him. I'm going to see if I can find the one I have and post it. I just have to do some digging.
    If you are going to collect, it needs to be for love.

Investment stuff- you really have to get lucky or sink some money into something you are certain will hold value, something truly rare.

Blonde on Blonde.

Turn Off Ads?