Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: The Autograph Thread

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Does anyone NOT have a Pete Rose autograph?
    I would doubt there are many fakes. He has signed thousands, hasn't he?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I would doubt there are many fakes. He has signed thousands, hasn't he?
    Probably much more than anyone would guess.

I kinda figured since Pete has flooded the market with his autograph and with the whole supply and demand thing, his autograph wouldn't be worth as much as you would think. I however did a quick search of ebay and found an autographed ball with his signature on it goes for around $60 and an autographed picture goes for around $50. This really isn't to far off from what Bench gets which kinda suprised me because while Bench signs I seriously doubt if JB has signed even half of what Pete has signed over the years but Pete's autograph has still maintained a strong value.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I kinda figured since Pete has flooded the market with his autograph and with the whole supply and demand thing, his autograph wouldn't be worth as much as you would think. I however did a quick search of ebay and found an autographed ball with his signature on it goes for around $60 and an autographed picture goes for around $50. This really isn't to far off from what Bench gets which kinda suprised me because while Bench signs I seriously doubt if JB has signed even half of what Pete has signed over the years but Pete's autograph has still maintained a strong value.
    For being the all time hit leader, $60 is pretty bad.

I doubt you could get an authentic Kevin Bacon for that.

Not a collector, but have gotten a few:
    Marty Brennaman- HOF baseball
    Archie Griffin signed photo
    Bob Newhart- Newhart show shooting script for one episode
    Chris Sabo? baseball (I bought this in the 90's and never had any authentication to prove it isn't fake)
    2004 Bengals playoff cap signed by a few Bengals at '05 training camp, no big names.
    Hockey puck signed by a couple Cincinnati Cyclones in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I used to have Dave Parker and Ron Oester signatures on separate pieces of paper, but those have long since been lost.
    I also had a few Anthony Munoz signatures when we've seen him at Pizza Tower when he owned it.
    Is it "next season" yet?

My best one is my Willie Mays baseball that I got him to sign at spring training. I also have a Hank Aaron and a Yaz that were given to me as gifts.
    Where we gonna go?

I've never really been a collector but I do have a very few.
    I still have a 1969 Reds scorecard that was signed before a game by Pete Rose, Johnny Bench and Tony Perez.
    I have a letter or two from the late Jack Kemp.
    I have two Chuck Yeager autographs, including an autographed copy of one of his biographies that I know is genuine because he signed it while I was talking to him at a Yeager Scholars event at Marshall University.
    I also have several Martina McBride autographs, including an autographed photo of Martina, my wife and me. Again I know that these autographs are genuine because I was talking with her when she signed each time.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I have about 150 baseball autographs, maybe closer to 200. My favorite is an 8x10 Ken Griffey Jr. He is easily my favorite player of all time. I have a Jay Bruce autographed baseball that is also up there in my favorites. Stan Musial, Greg Maddux, Ozzie Smith and Frank Robinson are also among my favorites. Mat Hoffman (bmx bicycle rider) is my favorite and probably only non-baseball/football autograph. It ranks up there above plenty of my other sports autographs.

My two favorites:

PSA/DNA Jay Bruce Rookie ball serial numbered as the 13th auto he had authenticated...

2004 All-Star Game Miguel Cabreara authenticated by Fleer as one out of 24... I got this in trade at a local (indianapolis) card shop for a few rookies and an Anthony Gonazlez auto'd rookie card.

Others include - Todd Frazier in gold pen, Devin Mesoraco, Homer Bailey, 2 more Jay Bruce's, Goose Gosage, Pete Rose, and Aroldis Chapman 2011 All-Star game ball...

Biggest snub? Easily trying to get Aroldis to personally sign a ball following a Louisville Bats game vs Indy Indians... He signed for a few Cubs fans (wearing jerseys) and gave me the aloof "Get lost" hand gesture after I somewhat chased him down respectfully (didn't interrupt his phone call) while wearing a Jay Bruce jersey and being nowhere within 50 feet of another fan. My wife still hates him due to the snub and Louis Vitton purse he was wearing...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Ickey Woods snubbed me while taking the time to write down his phone number for the married woman next to me.

Still hate Ickey Woods.

Joey Votto and Scott Rolen signed a cap for me a couple years ago. Aroldis Chapman signed a rookie card, an official mlb baseball, and my 6 week old son's Cincinnati Reds onesie for me a year ago. Also had it signed by Phillips, Frazier, Yonder Alonso, and Bill Bray if I'm not mistaken. I have collected various other Reds players over the years, but none of real consequence.. Other than Barry Larkin..

Ernie Banks is in my collection too..

That's about it for sports for me.. As far as music goes, I have the 3 members of Keane who I was fortunate enough to meet and snag pictures with... All members of The Stone Temple Pilots..

What I mainly have in my collection are Djs.. My sincerest passion and probably have little more than sentimental value... Chemical Brothers, Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, Sasha, Digweed, Timo Maas, James Zebiela, Bingo Players, Richard Vision, Bad Boy Bill, Donald Glaud, Dieselboy, Dara, Ferry Corsten, Mark Farina, Jon Bishop, Reidspeed, Charles Feelgood, Kimball Collins, Josh Wink, etc... and hundreds more stashed away that I can't even recall off the top of my head right now. Names that mean the world to me, but probably nothing to the average person, especially if you don't listen to EDM.
    Last edited by cincyinco; 12-22-2012 at 05:08 AM.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I added some guy named Frank Robinson to my collection this week. Maybe some of you have heard of him before.

I love him because he reminds me of my dad. Frank os obe of my favorite Reds and I never saw him play.

I was gifted these for Christmas to add to my collection. Attachment 6389
    Just a dude who loves the reds, and some new sneakers.

I am finally deciding to add my list. I don't think it's anything special, but maybe as a collection it is worth something.

Bruce Springsteen
    Sting
    Rod Stewart
    Jimmy Carter
    Dolly Parton
    Taylor Swift
    Elvis Costello
    Katie Holmes
    Lauren Bacall
    Matthew McConaughey
    Ben Stiller
    Al Pacino
    Matthew Broderick
    Brooke Shields
    Tom Hanks
    Sophia Loren
    Bridget Bardot
    Matt Damon
    Nas
    Ryan Adams (one of my all time favorites)
    Alicia Keys
    Johnny Bench
    Pete Rose
    Roger Federer
    Adrian Grenier
    Lady Gaga
    Pink
    Justin Bieber
    Jason Mraz
    Avril Lavigne
    John Mayer
    No Doubt
    Wilco (maybe my favorite, though more sentimental)
    Maroon 5
    Dave Matthews
    The Roots
    Jack Johnson
    Norah Jones

I got my girlfriend's brother an Eminem one. He's a huge fan, so I'm happy for him, but I'm wondering if that might not be the rarest? Apparently, and I had no idea at the time, it appears he is not an easy get.

Snubs: Neil Young, one of my favorite musicians and it was a letdown of sorts to see him outright refuse to sign. Roger Waters wasn't an outright snub, but I kind of felt like he was ignoring me in favor of others and didn't ultimately sign my record. At least he signed for some others though.

Most difficult: I have to disagree with you Dom. Will Ferrell is achievable. I don't have his, but just type in "Will Ferrell autograph" on youtube and you'll see him signing plenty. You're right about Neil Armstrong though. He refused to sign an autograph for Nancy Pelosi!

David Gilmour is a tough one to get. He rarely tours in the US and when he does, he will only sign copies of his newest record.

Turn Off Ads?