Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Emmanuel Burriss

Re: Reds sign Emmanuel Burriss

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Matt Eddy
    @eddymk
    #Reds sign 2B Emmanuel Burriss, C Nevin Ashley & RHRP Jeff Stevens to minor league deals.
    Yea Stevens. I love seeing that trade come full circle.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Latest news is Walt signing Felipe Lopez, Austin Kearns, and Majewski to minor league deals.

Reds win that trade too.

I'd prefer Burris to Valdez.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Me too. If he's the utility infielder for cheap, it wouldn't be the worst thing.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'd prefer a box of rocks over Valdez since--theoretically, at least--there'd be no chance of Dusty writing it in the lineup.

I'm hoping these signngs are just for AAA depth and not intended for the major league roster.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Exactly who do you guys think would make a good utility infielder? Anybody good is going to be a starter somewhere. Good bench guys cost a lot of coin and I'd rather the Reds address the OF and the bullpen with the money they have.I'd be fine with Didi, but if the Reds want him to play every day, Burris isn't the worst choice. I prefer him to say Valdez or Janish.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Exactly who do you guys think would make a good utility infielder? Anybody good is going to be a starter somewhere. Good bench guys cost a lot of coin and I'd rather the Reds address the OF and the bullpen with the money they have.I'd be fine with Didi, but if the Reds want him to play every day, Burris isn't the worst choice. I prefer him to say Valdez or Janish.
    In thinking either Jeter or Longoria for the UT spot.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't have a list of guys, but I just feel there has to be something better out there than a guy coming off of back to back seasons where he couldn't crack a .500 OPS in the Majors. There are pitchers who do that.

The thing is that guys like Valdez and Burriss are about the most dire of no-hit infielders. A quick list of guys who are/were available I'd rather pick up:

Jarrett Hoffpauir
    Jason Bartlett
    Ronny Cedeno
    Luis Rodriguez
    Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez
    Adrian Cardenas
    Brendan Harris
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

there has to be something better out there than a guy coming off of back to back seasons where he couldn't crack a .500 OPS in the Majors
    Versatility with defensive proficiency, speed, LH bat -- that's what makes him a decent fit. OPS is a limited way to look at the player required for the role.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Versatility with defensive proficiency, speed, LH bat -- that's what makes him a decent fit. OPS is a limited way to look at the player required for the role.
    Mentioning that he is a left handed bat, but then saying don't look at his OPS seems kind of silly to me.

Major Leaguers should be able to hit a little bit. I am not saying you need to be an .800 OPS bench guy or anything, but being a slight upgrade to a pitcher at the plate isn't exactly what I am looking for off of the bench. It isn't like the Reds are going to be pulling infielders in the late innings for defensive replacements or using Burris as a fill in if someone gets hurt, so his perceived spot on the bench should actually be able to swing the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The thing is that guys like Valdez and Burriss are about the most dire of no-hit infielders. A quick list of guys who are/were available I'd rather pick up:

Jarrett Hoffpauir
    Jason Bartlett
    Ronny Cedeno
    Luis Rodriguez
    Adrian Cardenas
    Brendan Harris
    I'll be mildly surprised if the Reds don't pick up another utility IF or two to create some competition for that job. Hopefully only one will exist on the 25-man roster at any given time. I imagine Burriss wouldn't be offended by playing in Louisville if someone else beats him out for a spot.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Jarrett Hoffpauir
    Jason Bartlett
    Ronny Cedeno
    Luis Rodriguez
    Adrian Cardenas
    Brendan Harris
    Hoffpauir, Cardenas and Harris can't play SS. May as well skip it and use Frazier if we need a SS. I like the Cedeno idea, but if it takes much more than the minimum, I'd pass and spend it elsewhere (though if the Reds were to deal one of Didi or Cozart, that would change the thought process). Rodriguez or Gonzalez would be OK I guess, but I don't see how they are better than Burris. I don't know much about Bartlett's health. If he's going to play and would sign for cheap, I'd be all for it. I have a feeling he's done though.

My point is that I wouldn't expend very limited resources looking for somebody to be the back-up SS when Burris and Didi are already on board. If the idea is a 3B/offensive option, there are guys I like better than the guys on that list. I am mildly intrigued by the Cardenas idea if it has to be a league minimum guy, but I'd spend a little more on a part-time 3B if it means Frazier is the LF solution and the new guy is splitting time with Rolen, but I could live with a Rolen/Cardenas combo at 3B and Frazier in LF if it means the resources are there for a decent CF option to be acquired. I'd pass on Harris and Hoffpauir completely.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-23-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Mentioning that he is a left handed bat, but then saying don't look at his OPS seems kind of silly to me.

Major Leaguers should be able to hit a little bit. I am not saying you need to be an .800 OPS bench guy or anything, but being a slight upgrade to a pitcher at the plate isn't exactly what I am looking for off of the bench. It isn't like the Reds are going to be pulling infielders in the late innings for defensive replacements or using Burris as a fill in if someone gets hurt, so his perceived spot on the bench should actually be able to swing the bat.
    I think Valdez had value in that you weren't suddenly seeing the infield turn into a sieve or discombobulate when he was called on. His bat was frustrating, but on a team where D is a large part of our ability to stay in games, having a glovey utility infielder is about more than a late inning defensive replacement.

One of the problems with your profile for that spot is that if a middle infielder with a plus glove can hit, he's a starter somewhere.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?