Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 11/23

Birthdays: 11/23

Reds:

Justin Turner (27) -Never actually a Red, but a Red draftee who went to the Orioles in the Ramon Hernandez deal. Now a Met.

Brook Jacoby (52) -I did not know that our current hitting coach is a close friend of Dave Parker- they go fishing in Wisconsin every year.

Tom Hall (64) -Back when the Reds were building the Machine, they traded a used-up Wayne Granger to Minnesota for "The Blade", who was one of the best relievers in baseball for the next few years.

Others:

Jon Papelbon (31) -To me, the Phils overpaid for him, but what do I know?

Dale Sveum (48) -New Cubbie skipper. At least he has the pedigree; he's played for, among others, LaRussa, Torre, Piniella and Leyland.

Luis Tiant (71) -Most fun pitcher to watch ever. There's a Facebook campaign to get him into the HOF; he has about the same record as Catfish Hunter, who's in.

Hal Schumacher -Giant righty nicknamed "Prince Hal" to Carl Hubbell's "King Carl". Was possibly overused early; threw almost 950 major league innings before age 25 and was never quite the same after that.

Bubber Jonnard -I looked him up because he had an interesting name and I didn't know anything about him. Turns out he was a catcher who had a twin brother who pitched in the majors (they were never a battery in the majors). After his playing days he was a Mets scout; he signed Ed Kranepool and Mike Jorgensen. One other note: Among the minor league teams he played for were the Wichita Falls "Spudders" and the Newark "Mary Janes"....

Chief Zimmer -Sometimes considered to be the first catcher to work up close to the plate, rather than standing ten feet behind as they previously did. A close friend of Cy Young. Despite the nickname, no Native American blood...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 11/23

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Tom Hall (64) -Back when the Reds were building the Machine, they traded a used-up Wayne Granger to Minnesota for "The Blade", who was one of the best relievers in baseball for the next few years.
    ...and he was known as "The Blade" because he was 6 feet tall but weighed only 150 lbs!

During his best years this guy was just simply lights out.

Re: Birthdays: 11/23

Tom Hall was one of my favorites way back when. Loved to watch him pitch.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?