Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Emmanuel Burriss

Re: Reds sign Emmanuel Burriss

Mentioning that he is a left handed bat, but then saying don't look at his OPS seems kind of silly to me.
    Idea being he slots in easily for the RH-hitting Cozart or Phillips or any RH-hitting 3B against a tough righty if/when those guys need a rest. It's a bit of a nicety, but still, it's nice.

My central point stands -- Burriss would fill the utility INF position, primarily backing up at SS, and OPS is a secondary consideration for that spot.

Unless you want HRod there -- whose defense remains a question mark, particularly at SS -- I don't see a ready alternative. Personally, I'd rather HRod get regular ABs and defensive reps in Louisville in 2013.

2. Turn Off Ads?

My point is that I wouldn't expend very limited resources looking for somebody to be the back-up SS when Burris and Didi are already on board.
    Agree 100%. Burriss is, in effect, backing up both guys. If Cozart were to go down with an injury, Didi would get called up to start.

If the idea is a 3B/offensive option, there are guys I like better than the guys on that list. I am mildly intrigued by the Cardenas idea if it has to be a league minimum guy, but I'd spend a little more on a part-time 3B if it means Frazier is the LF solution and the new guy is splitting time with Rolen, but I could live with a Rolen/Cardenas combo at 3B and Frazier in LF if it means the resources are there for a decent CF option to be acquired. I'd pass on Harris and Hoffpauir completely.
    I like HRod better than every one of those guys on Tom Servo's list.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm still disappointed the Reds didn't sign Dontrelle Willis to a minor league contract, start playing him in LF, and let him hit full time to see what he could do.

I know it's a pipedream, but I always loved watching Dontrelle come to the plate to hit. He is a superb athlete. He might of surprised people.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Agree 100%. Burriss is, in effect, backing up both guys. If Cozart were to go down with an injury, Didi would get called up to start.

I like HRod better than every one of those guys on Tom Servo's list.
    Not for 2013. H-Rod didn't hit much at AAA. I'm a little bearish on H-Rod. I was thinking he might be a good choice earlier, but I just don't think he'll hit much at this point and his defense is really iffy. A year in AAA might make him a viable 300 PA guy who hits and plays a little 2B and 3B against RHP for 2014, but I don't see him helping on opening day. These guys improve in spurts though. He might be ready by May for all that I know.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post

One of the problems with your profile for that spot is that if a middle infielder with a plus glove can hit, he's a starter somewhere.
    Not really. You are assuming my profile for that spot is a plus glove. He won't be. I don't need him to be. That is why we have Phillips and Cozart. If they go down, that is when I call up Didi to start for them. This team doesn't need a plus backup glove. They need a bat. They already have the gloves and on guys who can play 150 games if they stay healthy and if they can't, they have a guy in AAA who is a better glove than the starters anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not really. You are assuming my profile for that spot is a plus glove. He won't be. I don't need him to be. That is why we have Phillips and Cozart. If they go down, that is when I call up Didi to start for them. This team doesn't need a plus backup glove. They need a bat. They already have the gloves and on guys who can play 150 games if they stay healthy and if they can't, they have a guy in AAA who is a better glove than the starters anyways.
    I actually agree with this, but, IMO, the Reds won't. They are going to have a guy on the 25 man roster who can play decent defense at SS sitting on the bench. I actually agree with going with a more offensive 3B type who can play SS in a pinch (Wilson Betemit is my choice as a cheap acquisition who hits well against RHP) but doesn't play there 2 days in a row. I just think the Reds won't structure the roster that way. Even if they get a back-up for 3B who can play 2B and SS (like Miguel Cairo last year) they'll still have a MI as well IMO. If they carry a glove to back-up the MI, I want it to be for league minimium on a minor league deal. Sounds like Burris unless they are OK with Didi on the bench and not playing in AAA.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm still disappointed the Reds didn't sign Dontrelle Willis to a minor league contract, start playing him in LF, and let him hit full time to see what he could do.

I know it's a pipedream, but I always loved watching Dontrelle come to the plate to hit. He is a superb athlete. He might of surprised people.
    You know he retired, right?

Not really. You are assuming my profile for that spot is a plus glove. He won't be. I don't need him to be. That is why we have Phillips and Cozart. If they go down, that is when I call up Didi to start for them.
    Didi doesn't back up 2B or 3B or OF, meaning you'd still need someone to do that and to back up SS. Burriss has played all 3 of those spots. A guy with that kind of versatility -- again, you're ignoring this aspect of his value (as well as his pinch running value) -- allows you to invest in a bench player who doesn't really defend much but who can hit.

Didi doesn't back up 2B or 3B or OF, meaning you'd still need someone to do that and to back up SS. Burriss has played all 3 of those spots. A guy with that kind of versatility -- again, you're ignoring this aspect of his value (as well as his pinch running value) -- allows you to invest in a bench player who doesn't really defend much but who can hit.
    Didi could absolutely back up 2B. The Reds aren't going to be using Burris to do anything at third base or the outfield. Again, the guy simply can't hit. At all. He is a glove when we don't really need a glove. He makes a small amount of sense if the Reds are trading Cozart or Gregorius. Otherwise he is someone who makes no sense for what this team has and what it needs.

He makes a small amount of sense if the Reds are trading Cozart or Gregorius. Otherwise he is someone who makes no sense for what this team has and what it needs.
    So, you want a backup SS who can hit. That would be HRod? Or somebody they bring in on a major league deal (and if so, who)?

So, you want a backup SS who can hit. That would be HRod? Or somebody they bring in on a major league deal (and if so, who)?
    Why do I need a backup shortstop who can hit if I still have Didi? What I need is someone who can come off of the bench and give me a plate appearance that would be an upgrade to a pitcher. Yes, they need to be able to cover shortstop when Arroyo is pitching to give Cozart a rest once every two weeks or to fill in for an injured Cozart for 4 innings to finish up a game if he actually does get hurt. I don't see Burris as being that kind of guy though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why do I need a backup shortstop who can hit if I still have Didi? What I need is someone who can come off of the bench and give me a plate appearance that would be an upgrade to a pitcher. Yes, they need to be able to cover shortstop when Arroyo is pitching to give Cozart a rest once every two weeks or to fill in for an injured Cozart for 4 innings to finish up a game if he actually does get hurt. I don't see Burris as being that kind of guy though.
    I think the idea behind Burriss is to have someone who can handle the utility job and let Didi start in AAA. I doubt both would make the opening day roster.

The team needs a middle infielder who can fill in for 3-5 days when Phillips or Cozart get banged up, need a rest, but aren't hurt enough to justify a DL move. In that case, what's most important is a guy who won't hurt you on defense. Every team has to have that guy.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Yes, they need to be able to cover shortstop when Arroyo is pitching to give Cozart a rest once every two weeks or to fill in for an injured Cozart for 4 innings to finish up a game if he actually does get hurt. I don't see Burris as being that kind of guy though.
    He is that kind of guy. He can also fill in for Phillips and for the 3B. And like, Valdez did a few times, play OF in a pinch. Plus, he has very good speed and a history of stealing a lot of bags. He'd give the team an actual pinch running threat, something they have not had in a while (and something you really should have on the bench, IMO).

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You know he retired, right?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think the idea behind Burriss is to have someone who can handle the utility job and let Didi start in AAA. I doubt both would make the opening day roster.
    Yeah, DiDi shouldn't be on the big league roster unless he's starting or you think utility IF is his ceiling.

Turn Off Ads?