Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Emmanuel Burriss

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds sign Emmanuel Burriss

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He is that kind of guy. He can also fill in for Phillips and for the 3B. And like, Valdez did a few times, play OF in a pinch. Plus, he has very good speed and a history of stealing a lot of bags. He'd give the team an actual pinch running threat, something they have not had in a while (and something you really should have on the bench, IMO).
    No, he isn't that kind of guy. He can't hit to save his life. That is what we need. We need a hitter because the only reason that spot on the bench should be used is as a pinch hitter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No, he isn't that kind of guy. He can't hit to save his life. That is what we need. We need a hitter because the only reason that spot on the bench should be used is as a pinch hitter.
    Last season, every MLB team needed at least 500 defensive innings at 2B/SS from non-starters. Most needed at least 750. Many needed over 1000. That's the job of a utility infielder.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Last season, every MLB team needed at least 500 defensive innings at 2B/SS from non-starters. Most needed at least 750. Many needed over 1000. That's the job of a utility infielder.
    If you need that many innings, you call up someone else. If someone goes down, Burris will not be the guy taking over for them. The job of a utility infielder is to start once a week maybe and be a pinch hitter off the bench or a defensive replacement off the bench. Well, here in Cincinnati he won't be a glove off the bench late in games, so he is going to be a guy who is going to need to pinch hit or start once a week to give someone a rest. Fill that spot with someone who can actually swing.

If you need that many innings, you call up someone else. If someone goes down, Burris will not be the guy taking over for them. The job of a utility infielder is to start once a week maybe and be a pinch hitter off the bench or a defensive replacement off the bench. Well, here in Cincinnati he won't be a glove off the bench late in games, so he is going to be a guy who is going to need to pinch hit or start once a week to give someone a rest. Fill that spot with someone who can actually swing.
    I hear you, but I don't think they'll go with a defensive weakness backing up the MI. So if they're going to get a good defender "who can swing," that's probably a better player than all but about 10 or so starting SS and probably better than half the starting second baseman. I don't think they'll go with a corner IF type who hits as the guy to start once a week at SS.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I hear you, but I don't think they'll go with a defensive weakness backing up the MI. So if they're going to get a good defender "who can swing," that's probably a better player than all but about 10 or so starting SS and probably better than half the starting second baseman. I don't think they'll go with a corner IF type who hits as the guy to start once a week at SS.
    They don't need a corner IF who can start at SS.... but they could get someone who can outhit a pitcher. Right now, they haven't.

I'm with Doug here. At first I said 'Well, better Janish than Castro' a few years ago. Than it was "Well, better Valdez than Janish'. I'm not being fooled again, Burriss is no better than these other guys. The Reds have managed to find these guys who are not just bad, but historically/unbelievably bad and give them far too many at-bats.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

We have all seen Reds players get banged up, not enough to justify a DL stint, but enough to keep them out of games for up to a week. That's what a backup is for. That will happen many times during a season. You can't call guys up for 3 days over and over again.

Plus, you need a guy to give the starters rest, so the starters are fresh for the stretch run. That can't be done with callups.

A utility infielder is a need for every team. Almost none of them can hit. That's not part of their job description.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm with Doug here. At first I said 'Well, better Janish than Castro' a few years ago. Than it was "Well, better Valdez than Janish'. I'm not being fooled again, Burriss is no better than these other guys. The Reds have managed to find these guys who are not just bad, but historically/unbelievably bad and give them far too many at-bats.
    You're actually making my case. They are all the same. Every team needs one, every team has one. None of them are good hitters.

It's like wanting a punter who is also a good tackler. A back up center who can hit threes. It would be nice, but ain't going to happen.

Reds have TWO backup infield spots up for grabs. Cairo's spot. Valdez's spot.

The Cairo spot has to hit. A non-shortstop backup infielder. Has to hit.

The Valdez, middle infield spot doesn't have to hit too much. His main ability is to play SS well.

I'm not sure Burriss fills either role. Not sure he is a true shortstop. Certainly doesn't hit like a Cairo type.

Of course - if the Cairo guy can field, and the Valdez guy can hit, all the better.

Didi could be the Valdez replacement. But I'd rather see him with regular at bats at AAA.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-23-2012 at 08:45 PM.

We have all seen Reds players get banged up, not enough to justify a DL stint, but enough to keep them out of games for up to a week. That's what a backup is for. That will happen many times during a season. You can't call guys up for 3 days over and over again.

Plus, you need a guy to give the starters rest, so the starters are fresh for the stretch run. That can't be done with callups.

A utility infielder is a need for every team. Almost none of them can hit. That's not part of their job description.
    Maybe it is time it becomes part of their job description then. Gloves can literally be had by every team in baseball for league minimum. The Reds just let one of the best ones they have had in the last 10 years walk as a minor league free agent. If you want a glove who can play everywhere but can't hit, they should have just kept Miguel Rojas. They let Chris Valaika walk and he could cover you at 2B, SS and 3B too. I am just saying that I am not willing to accept a glove without a bat simply because it has been something others have accepted. Most teams don't have guys at 3B, 2B and SS who are good gloves and an average of 28 years old. Our needs don't match up exactly with most teams because of how our team is built.

Maybe it is time it becomes part of their job description then. Gloves can literally be had by every team in baseball for league minimum. The Reds just let one of the best ones they have had in the last 10 years walk as a minor league free agent. If you want a glove who can play everywhere but can't hit, they should have just kept Miguel Rojas. They let Chris Valaika walk and he could cover you at 2B, SS and 3B too. I am just saying that I am not willing to accept a glove without a bat simply because it has been something others have accepted. Most teams don't have guys at 3B, 2B and SS who are good gloves and an average of 28 years old. Our needs don't match up exactly with most teams because of how our team is built.
    The team structure will likely have a five man bench. Two backup outfielders. Two backup infielders. A backup catcher.

One of the two backup infielders has to hit. The other is usually a SS who can field.

I don't think Burriss will just be given either spot. He will probably compete for the backup SS spot, which is more of a defensive position.

Gregorius will be at AAA. If Cozart gets hurt he'll probably get called up, even with another SS on the roster.

The problem last year is that both Valdez and Cairo failed to hit. This year hopefully both positions will hit better. Burriss will have to earn one of the jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds have TWO backup infield spots up for grabs. Cairo's spot. Valdez's spot.
    The odds of two starting IF's getting hurt in the same game are about as likely as both catchers getting hurt in the same game. So I'm fine with one backup IF, provided he's legit at 4/5/6. And if he hits like a pitcher, fine. I can add another bat. Plus -- Mike Leake!

These end-of-the-roster RZ discussions always seem to be the most impassioned.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

You're actually making my case. They are all the same. Every team needs one, every team has one. None of them are good hitters.

It's like wanting a punter who is also a good tackler. A back up center who can hit threes. It would be nice, but ain't going to happen.
    Right, but my point is that the Reds somehow always end up with literally THE worst of any team.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    These end-of-the-roster RZ discussions always seem to be the most impassioned.
    I do not know why but weird feeling on this guy honestly, My gut says we as in Red's fans will be pleasently surprised. The talent is there and no I do not expect another performance as we got with the low expectations Brandon Phillips had when acquired but something makes me feel this players chapter in his career is about to be rewritten.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Turn Off Ads?