Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gomes signs 2 year 10M with RedSox

Gomes signs 2 year 10M with RedSox

Nice to see Jonny doing well

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...al-source-says

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox and free-agent outfielder Jonny Gomes have agreed to a two-year, $10 million deal, pending a physical, sources told ESPN.

Gomes, who turns 32 on Thursday, has eight-plus seasons of big league experience with the Tampa Bay Rays, Cincinnati Reds, Washington Nationals and Oakland Athletics. He spent the 2012 season with the A's and hit .262 with 18 homers and 47 RBIs.
    http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...al-source-says

But if his numbers get you 5 mill a season what kind of contract will Ludwick get?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gomes signs 2 year 10M with RedSox

2 years and 10 million for a player who should probably be platooned and get about one-third of the at-bats at that position. SMH

Good for Johnny but that's why they are the Red Sux....WAY overpaid.

If he plays like he did last year it would be a very good signing. He strikes out way too much but he had a .376 wOBA and 16.4 wRAA. He played very well for the A's and earned a nice contract.

Great teammate and with a manager with a clue he's a formidable player....with the Reds and once the NL adjusted he was maybe the worst player in the league....but Dusty didn't let that stop him from playing him everyday.

The way I see it is that is another OF spot now occupied. As demand goes down for Ludwick's services, so does the price tag and the good part is that I believe that at equal money, he chooses the Reds.

And you all think that Ludwick is going to sign for $7 Million per year... I bet they're (Ludwick & Agent) looking for a 3 year/ $36 million for Ludwick...

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    And you all think that Ludwick is going to sign for $7 Million per year... I bet they're (Ludwick & Agent) looking for a 3 year/ $36 million for Ludwick...
    Carlos Beltran, at the same age and coming off a better year, got 2/$26M last offseason. Michael Cuddyer, 2 years younger coming off of a similar year, got 3/$30M. Josh Willingham, 2 years younger coming off of a similar year, got 3/$21M. Jason Kubel, 5 years younger with a comparable track record, got 2/$16M. What comparables would his agent use to get 3/$36M?

Are people signing for more than expected so far this offseason? Maybe that new TV contract money is pushing up the signing price.

....overpay much?!

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    and people in hell are looking for ice water. Doesn't mean they are going to get it.

What a joke. It must be nice to spend $10 million on a bench guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    What a joke. It must be nice to spend $10 million on a bench guy.
    Yea...I'm envious. I would love for the Reds to have Gomes as a RH bench guy; but the Reds, unlike the Red Sox, can't afford to spend $5M on a RH bench bat. The Reds are trying to find a starting LF for that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by rgslone View Post
    Yea...I'm envious. I would love for the Reds to have Gomes as a RH bench guy; but the Reds, unlike the Red Sox, can't afford to spend $5M on a RH bench bat. The Reds are trying to find a starting LF for that kind of money.
    While I wouldn't call him a full time player, he is an absolute lefty masher. I wouldn't underestimate Gomes' impact on the Red Sox in a division that features David Price, CC Sabathia, Mark Buehrle, Matt Moore, Ricky Romero (I'm willing to say last year was an outlier), Wei-Yin Chen and possibly Andy Pettitte.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Good for Johnny but that's why they are the Red Sux....WAY overpaid.
    Agree on both accounts. Love Johnny but the Sox WAY overpaid on that one.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Turn Off Ads?