Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Homer Bailey for Wil Myers?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 46.55%
  • No

31 53.45%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you...Homer Bailey for Wil Myers?

-The Insider-

Re: Would you...Homer Bailey for Wil Myers?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am with you. But even still, Bailey provides value that a whole lot of other pitchers don't in the National League. He just happened to be overlooked because of how good the other Reds starters were.
    Good point. Hopefully in 2013 he'll finally blossom and put up an ERA around 2.50 or so. I just don't think when the Reds drafted him they envisioned a 10-13 record with a 3.68 ERA being great for him.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    I am with Doug on this one. I think Myers has a lot more trade value than Bailey. But I still wouldn't trade Bailey for him because I think Bailey could be our best pitcher at some point.

That is unless you could turn around and trade Myers for David Price, maybe then I would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Good point. Hopefully in 2013 he'll finally blossom and put up an ERA around 2.50 or so. I just don't think when the Reds drafted him they envisioned a 10-13 record with a 3.68 ERA being great for him.
    Homer's prospect days are long behind us now. I'm sure the Reds were thrilled with what he did last year and would be perfectly content if he did the same thing next year.

I just don't think when the Reds drafted him they envisioned a 10-13 record with a 3.68 ERA being great for him.
    Where he was drafted or high of a prospect he was is long gone. He made his debut 5 1/2 years ago.

Regardless, Myers for Bailey...I do in a heart beat, and I'm a big supporter of Homer.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

When the Reds drafted Bailey I don't know if they knew much about how their ballpark played. If you told them that he would give them 200+ innings and a park adjusted ERA that was one of the 15 best in the NL, I bet they would have been pretty happy with that. Now I am sure they would have liked it before 2012.

I'm wondering if Myers makes Dee Gordon available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'm wondering if Myers makes Dee Gordon available.
    Took me a while to figure out you mean Alex Gordon. I'd guess it could, but he just signed a deal and will make $9 Nillion in 2013. That's not awful, but I'm not sure the Reds could swing it unless they agreed to take Masset as well.

Bailey, Heisey and Masset for Gordon and Crow? I really hate to lose Homer. I really think Chapman stepping into Homer's spot will be a lateral move for the 2013 rotation at best, while blowing a massive hole in the pen. If the Reds could get Crow, it might only be a slight downgrade for the staff with a big improvement in the OF but its not a slam dunk IMO.

I guess I'm a lot more hesitant on Myers. I see these hyped KC prospects like Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas putting up OPS numbers of .663 and .708 and wonder if Myers will follow suit and take a while for his bat to get where it needs to be at the big league level. I think the Reds need more production now if they are dealing an established starter. I'd take Moustakas or Myers for Leake and one of the young propsects like Corcino or Cingrani, but not for Bailey. Chapman for Leake in the rotation with Crow backfilling in the pen is an upgrade to the staff, but when its Bailey instead, I think its likely a step back.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I really hate to lose Homer. I really think Chapman stepping into Homer's spot will be a lateral move for the 2013 rotation at best, while blowing a massive hole in the pen.
    I wouldn't call it a lateral move. I'd call it a risky move. Chapman could turn out to be legit ace, a mediocrity, or could blow his arm out due to the increased workload. The Reds might be significantly better off with him in the rotation or significantly worse off. I doubt they would be the same.

Only because the Reds are in "win now" mode, no I wouldn't. Very rarely do hitters come up and produce like #4 hitters do, if Myers does that in 3 years, it might not do us any good. The Reds need production now, if they're giving up an arm like Bailey.

No. Once you get pitching you hang on to it. Don't believe the garbage that says:"In order to get talent you have to give up talent." That is for teams who who can't seem to make decent trades.

How much legitimate talent has been acquired by teams who leave us scratching our head because they didn't give up anything?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I wouldn't call it a lateral move. I'd call it a risky move. Chapman could turn out to be legit ace, a mediocrity, or could blow his arm out due to the increased workload. The Reds might be significantly better off with him in the rotation or significantly worse off. I doubt they would be the same.
    Depends on what you think Bailey is likely to do in 2013. If your expectations are some improvement over 2012, that's a pretty high bar to expect for a guy who has never pitched 125 innings in any season (including Cuba), hasn't had to work his way through a line-up multiple times at the big league level and has shown some propensity to tire and lose velocity after 20 pitches or so. I think there is a lot of downside to replacing Bailey with Chapman. Of course there is some upside too, but, say for example, he's a "success" and puts up a year like another power arm, Yu Darvish, did in 2012. That's a lateral move and he won't provide it for 200 innings.

There is a lot less downside if Leake is the guy that Chapman replaces IMO. Personally, I'm not real fond of the idea of trading any of the starters. I'd get a reliever, stick Chapman in the five spot and let Leake be the swingman. The Rotation lacks big league ready depth and isn't likely to go all season with all 5 guys making all their starts again. If Chapman is in the rotation, we can be almost certain that he won't make 30 starts. They can address the offense by dealng kids and making marginal upgrades by acquiring flawed guys whose strengths fit the Reds needs and weaknesses can be minimized with platoons and spot play.

I'm all for trying Chapman in the rotation provided they cover the pen with an acquisituion, but my expectations for 2013 look a lot more like 2011 Edinson Volquez than they do vintage Randy Johnson. Along those lines, I might be more inclinded to deal Chapman for Myers than I would Bailey. Of course, I'd want Crow too in that deal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Took me a while to figure out you mean Alex Gordon. I'd guess it could, but he just signed a deal and will make $9 Nillion in 2013. That's not awful, but I'm not sure the Reds could swing it unless they agreed to take Masset as well.

Bailey, Heisey and Masset for Gordon and Crow? I really hate to lose Homer. I really think Chapman stepping into Homer's spot will be a lateral move for the 2013 rotation at best, while blowing a massive hole in the pen. If the Reds could get Crow, it might only be a slight downgrade for the staff with a big improvement in the OF but its not a slam dunk IMO.

I guess I'm a lot more hesitant on Myers. I see these hyped KC prospects like Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas putting up OPS numbers of .663 and .708 and wonder if Myers will follow suit and take a while for his bat to get where it needs to be at the big league level. I think the Reds need more production now if they are dealing an established starter. I'd take Moustakas or Myers for Leake and one of the young propsects like Corcino or Cingrani, but not for Bailey. Chapman for Leake in the rotation with Crow backfilling in the pen is an upgrade to the staff, but when its Bailey instead, I think its likely a step back.
    They are likely only going to trade only one of Myers, Gordon, Moustakas or Hosmer to get an arm. However, Gordon could likely be had and I'd be a fan of it. A package of Bailey/Corcino/Cingrani, Didi and a C-level prospect could get one of them, in my opinion. However, not sure if they have use for Didi as they already have Escobar. Maybe one of them could play second? Also, I highly doubt a team would trade for Masset as he's making $3 million and is coming off an injury.

They are likely only going to trade only one of Myers, Gordon, Moustakas or Hosmer to get an arm. However, Gordon could likely be had and I'd be a fan of it. A package of Bailey/Corcino/Cingrani, Didi and a C-level prospect could get one of them, in my opinion. However, not sure if they have use for Didi as they already have Escobar. Maybe one of them could play second? Also, I highly doubt a team would trade for Masset as he's making $3 million and is coming off an injury.
    Nobody is proposing more than one of those hitters. I doubt they would take Masset either unless they want the rest of the deal. The Reds likely can't fit Gordon into the budget unless Masset goes.

If I'm the Reds, I call the Royals, Dbacks, Rockies, Red Sox, Twins and Indians.

I tell them I'm willing to trade a package centered around 2 of Leake, Corcino, and Cingrani for their OF (Myers/Gordon, J.Upton, Fowler, Ellsbury, Willingham/Span and Choo respectively). See who bites.

I'd only trade either Corcino or Cingrani for Choo (not Leake). Same for either of the Twins OF individually although I'd include two pitchers for both of them.

I realize there might have to be more included, especially in a deal for Upton or Fowler. But is want to see which team got the most excited about those pitchers. It would appear that it's a buyers market if you have the kind of young pitching currency the Reds do.
    Go BLUE!!!

Maybe I'm just not as high on Bailey as everyone else. He was suppose to be an ace and he's never been that. He did do better last year, but he's still not that number one starter that everyone had dreams about.
    The dude is still only 26 years old. I know he has been around the Reds forever but he is ONLY 26 years old. If he stays a 2-3-4 in the rotation, he's done more than most guys who were projected to be "aces".

Also, he could easily pitch at a 2-3 level for the next 12 years...he hasn't even started yet.

Tell me he wasn't rushed to the Reds...he was...and now he is figuring it out.

Sorry, I know it sound slike I am jumping all over you but I really do not mean to, I just read that and thought "wow, 26 years old and he is supposed to have everything figured out...wow".
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?