Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 11/27

Birthdays: 11/27

Reds:

Willie Bloomquist (34) - Had a nice little year for himself in 2011.

Randy Milligan (50) -He was 27 before he ever got a real shot, and his career ended early, but for the few years in between he was about as good as you could ask for. Underrated because at the time not too many people were paying attention to OBP.

Others:

Jimmy Rollins (33) -Learned baseball from his mother, who played fast-pitch softball at a high level. Appears as a kid in several M.C. Hammer videos.

Ivan Rodriguez (40) -Has to be the last active major league player to have been a teammate of Nolan Ryan. His son was drafted this year by the Twins.

Dave Giusti (72) -Effective as a starter with Houston and a closer with Pittsburgh. His out pitch was the palm ball. Later became an exec for American Express.

Bullet Joe Bush -Credited with developing the forkball. His won-lost records don't look all that great, but in his defense he played on some bad teams; in 1916 he won 15 games for an Athletics team that only won 36 total!
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 11/27

Buster Olney says that Rollins is looking for a 5-year contract. Good luck to anyone who gives it to him.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Dave Giusti (72) -Effective as a starter with Houston and a closer with Pittsburgh. His out pitch was the palm ball.

...and, of course, Dave has a special place in my heart for giving up that homer to Johnny Bench in the ninth inning in the '72 Playoffs against Pittsburgh. It tied the game and the Reds went on to win. That homer was probably the most memorable baseball-viewing moment of my career. I was there for that one and the place went wild. Happy Birthday, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    ...and, of course, Dave has a special place in my heart for giving up that homer to Johnny Bench in the ninth inning in the '72 Playoffs against Pittsburgh. It tied the game and the Reds went on to win. That homer was probably the most memorable baseball-viewing moment of my career. I was there for that one and the place went wild. Happy Birthday, Dave.
    Same here! Never forget that moment as long as I live. It's hard to believe all of these guys I watched when I was young are now in their 70's. I must be gettin' old too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Jose Tartabull, Danny's dad, turns 74 today. Not a power hitter like his son; Jose hit two homers in more than 1800 ABs. There's a novel titled Tartabull's Throw that refers to Jose's throwing out Ken Berry at the plate in a key game in the Red Sox 1967 pennant drive.

Johnny Schmitz was a left-handed pitcher in the war years. He was nicknamed "Bear Tracks" because of his ambling shuffle as he walked to the mound.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?