Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ESPN Trade Suggestion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ESPN Trade Suggestion

Stumbled upon this article. They have a blockbuster trade suggestion for the Reds. I think it would be insane...

Reds Trade:
    Hamilton
    Mesoraco
    Leake
    Lecure
    Corcino

Twins Trade:
    Span
    Willingham
    Carroll
    Daniel Santana

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...de-suggestions

Span and/or Willingham are just not guys you trade your top prospect for under any circumstance, IMO

Re: ESPN Trade Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Stumbled upon this article. They have a blockbuster trade suggestion for the Reds. I think it would be insane...

Reds Trade:
    Hamilton
    Mesoraco
    Leake
    Lecure
    Corcino

Twins Trade:
    Span
    Willingham
    Carroll
    Daniel Santana

Span and/or Willingham are just not guys you trade your top prospect for under any circumstance, IMO
    Saw this on the ORG. Whichever writer suggested this should be fired, for they are too stupid to write about baseball. This would hurt our SP depth, our bullpen, rob of us of our catcher of the future, take away our top prospect and our top pitching prospect. All for 2 OK outfielders. Horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    Saw this on the ORG. Whichever writer suggested this should be fired, for they are too stupid to write about baseball. This would hurt our SP depth, our bullpen, rob of us of our catcher of the future, take away our top prospect and our top pitching prospect. All for 2 OK outfielders. Horrible.
    ...and we don't even trade any of our mediocre OFs, creating a nasty logjam

I read the article. The premise is that the Reds are in "win now" mode.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

It still doesn't make much sense in win now mode. The pitching is hurt almost as much as the lineup is improved. Willingham won't be any better than Ludwick was last year, so the only improvement would be at leadoff with Span. You can find a leadoff hitter for much cheaper than the Herschell Walker package outlined in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    It still doesn't make much sense in win now mode. The pitching is hurt almost as much as the lineup is improved. Willingham won't be any better than Ludwick was last year, so the only improvement would be at leadoff with Span. You can find a leadoff hitter for much cheaper than the Herschell Walker package outlined in the article.
    Not to mention the money. You are sending out about $2M in major league contracts and absorbing $15.5M in major league contracts. I'm not sure the Reds have $13.5M total this offseason to spend to address their current needs without creating new ones. They would need to sign another catcher because as much as I love Hanigan, he's not an every day guy. They would either need to sign a closer and move Chapman to the rotation or obtain another starter because it would not be smart to depend solely on Cingrani at the #5 spot. I would still consider the bench thin with the only improvement being the 39 year old Carroll over Valdez/Cairo. Just a bad trade all around

noway Hamilton is traded for anybody not named Stanton!!

If the Reds were in win-now mode, they wouldn't have put Joey Votto under contract for 12 years. Not that this trade doesn't solve a lot of our issues around the diamond, but it leaves us with absolutely no depth in the minor league system and weak backups.

This is easily the worst trade I've ever seen from someone getting paid to come up with it, and one of the worst I've seen in general by anyone. We would be taking on 15.5M and sending out 3 cheap MLB players as well as 2 of our best prospects.

Check this out...

Here is a Twins fan forum who nearly unanimously think this trade makes no sense for the Reds... That's when you know it's bad

http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php...ade-Suggestion

I just lost any respect I may have had for ESPN for even thinking this.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I just lost any respect I may have had for ESPN for even thinking this.
    Ditto.

This is a complete JOKE of a Trade.

Span isn't a STAR player or a STUD player... he is just a normal player. There would be absolutely no reason for giving up Billy Hamilton even with that package coming back from the Twins...

I would trade Hamilton for ONE player only. Stanton of the Marlins. End of Story.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post

Reds Trade:
    Hamilton
    Mesoraco
    Leake
    Lecure
    Corcino

Twins Trade:
    Span
    Willingham
    Carroll
    Daniel Santana

Beyond value, I'm not sure I understand the good fit that the writer seems to think exists. Why would the Reds trade for a package that half of which involved two young shortstops?

I actually like Span, Willingham and Carroll quite a bit. I actually think you'll see the Reds linked to Span again this offseason after all the noise this past trade deadline. But I'm not sure they would see the need to expand that trade into a blockbuster as the author suggests to address really one position improvement?
    Last edited by Larkin88; 11-27-2012 at 11:08 AM.

I would be surprised to see Mesoraco go anywhere. If Hanigan went down to injury who would catch if they had traded Mesoraco? He may have been in the doghouse at the end of this season. But he is still young, talented and cheap. No, he is staying in Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I would be surprised to see Mesoraco go anywhere. If Hanigan went down to injury who would catch if they had traded Mesoraco? He may have been in the doghouse at the end of this season. But he is still young, talented and cheap. No, he is staying in Cincy.
    Big time agree with you there, Dave.

Turn Off Ads?