Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Todd Redmond to Major League Contract

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reds sign Todd Redmond to Major League Contract

The Reds re-signed right-hander Todd Redmond to a one-year, Major League contract worth $490K, MLB.com's Mark Sheldon reports. Acquired from the Braves midseason, Redmond was the lone pitcher outside of Cincinnati's starting five to start a game in 2012.

Redmond has only appeared in one game at the MLB level. The 27-year-old started the second game of an August doubleheader, allowing four earned runs in 3 1/3 innings. He spent most of this past season at Triple-A, where he posted a 3.63 ERA with 8.2 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9 in 148 2/3 innings for the top affiliates of the Braves and Reds.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...d-redmond.html
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Re: Reds sign Todd Redmond to Major League Contract

Does that mean he's on the 25 man or else we pay him and he can leave?

If memory serves me right, that gives him a spot on the 40-man, and since he is out of options he would be effectively on the 25-man.
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Redmond's one start left a bad impression on me as a return to the Van Poppel, Haynes, Claussen, et al era. Leaves me in a cold sweat that he would ever start another major league game for the Reds.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Redmond's one start left a bad impression on me as a return to the Van Poppel, Haynes, Claussen, et al era. Leaves me in a cold sweat that he would ever start another major league game for the Reds.
    Yeah, he looked very average and very hittable in that start.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    If memory serves me right, that gives him a spot on the 40-man, and since he is out of options he would be effectively on the 25-man.
    What is the risk? If we try to ship him back to AAA and somebody else claims him, well then we are off the hook for his contract...

Eww, why?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Eww, why?
    "minor league depth" is the reason I keep on reading on here. I think they just like having a bad AAA team.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

"minor league depth" is the reason I keep on reading on here. I think they just like having a bad AAA team.
    Redmond is an excellent AAA pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Redmond is an excellent AAA pitcher.
    I guess I look at a good AAA team as one that has some good short term options to fill short term needs due to injury. Last year's team was completely void of that type of talent and had a horrible record. I get excited over almost there, upwardly mobile types to care one lick about what's at AAA. Todd Redmond doesn't fit that bill, so his skill of "good AAA pitcher" is worth the same as a baseball card in the bike spokes to me.

I guess I look at a good AAA team as one that has some good short term options to fill short term needs due to injury. Last year's team was completely void of that type of talent and had a horrible record. I get excited over almost there, upwardly mobile types to care one lick about what's at AAA. Todd Redmond doesn't fit that bill, so his skill of "good AAA pitcher" is worth the same as a baseball card in the bike spokes to me.
    LOL. Based on 1 ML start he is unqualified to even be a backend guy? You grade darn hard. I think he would be average graded against 5th starters. Maybe a tad better. I don't even see where he is especially park averse for GAB. Redmond wouldn't likely kill ya in the backend. Just my opinion. My only beef is I like the 2Cs better as well as Villareal(similar tho) if rotation help is needed. I see it as a mid bp RH stockpile part of which will end up dealt away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Eww, why?
    Probably because our only AAA depth is Cingrani, who may get moved to the bullpen (or might make the ML roster).

You make moves like this (and Janish/Navarro last year) and hope you never have to call them up.

Redmond isn't great, but as of now, he's the best depth we got.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Probably because our only AAA depth is Cingrani, who may get moved to the bullpen (or might make the ML roster).

You make moves like this (and Janish/Navarro last year) and hope you never have to call them up.

Redmond isn't great, but as of now, he's the best depth we got.
    Redmond is a major leaguer next year, not AAA depth - assuming that the poster is correct who said he is out of options.

If he's on the forty, and he's out of options, he can't be sent down unless he is DFA'd or on injury rehab, as I understand.

I highly doubt the Reds will start Redmond in the rotation. He has no major league experience starting and this doesn't make sense to me on a contender.

More likely he will join (or replace?) Simon as a longer reliever, who can back up as a starter. Maybe Lecure gets promoted to set up man.

Reds now have a bunch of righty MLB relievers on the forty. Arredondo, Hoover, Lecure, Masset, Ondrusek, Redmond, Simon. Assuming two lefties, two righties will have to go.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-26-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Redmond is a major leaguer next year, not AAA depth - assuming that the poster is correct who said he is out of options.

Yea, my mistake, he is out of options. I remember that now.
    The Reds might be able to sneak him down to AAA at the end of spring training though. Not sure if that is the plan, but it's possible.

Maybe this move gives them some flexiblity to trade someone like LeCure/Logan/Arrendondo? Maybe the plan is to make Redmond a middle reliever. I remember Dusty's comment last year that Simon earned a "promotion" in the pen, but shortly thereafter we traded for Broxton.

Or maybe it's not that complicated. Maybe they just signed him for depth, hoping to upgrade during the offseason and figure it's worth spending 490k to have depth now, even if they cut him.. Maybe it's not even a guaranteed contract, since he's not arb eligible.. I recall some rule that you can cut a player early in the season and only pay about 20% under some circumstances (contracts that are not guaranteed)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yea, my mistake, he is out of options. I remember that now.
    The Reds might be able to sneak him down to AAA at the end of spring training though. Not sure if that is the plan, but it's possible.

Maybe this move gives them some flexiblity to trade someone like LeCure/Logan/Arrendondo? Maybe the plan is to make Redmond a middle reliever. I remember Dusty's comment last year that Simon earned a "promotion" in the pen, but shortly thereafter we traded for Broxton.

Or maybe it's not that complicated. Maybe they just signed him for depth, hoping to upgrade during the offseason and figure it's worth spending 490k to have depth now, even if they cut him.. Maybe it's not even a guaranteed contract, since he's not arb eligible.. I recall some rule that you can cut a player early in the season and only pay about 20% under some circumstances (contracts that are not guaranteed)
    Good points. Here's my guess - Bryan Price sees something with Redmond.

Last year the Reds picked Simon out of thin air and correctly determined he had major league ability. I'm guessing Redmond is the same, they think he has something, and he will be with the Reds.

Another guess - Lecure gets a promotion to set up. He was dynamite down the stretch last year.

This pick up may indicate pessimism as to Mr. Masset's recovery. It may mean the end for Ondrusek as a Red (does HE have options?).

And a trade of Arredondo would not be shocking at all, but his second half would have diminished his trade value.

All interesting possibilities if you spend time, like some of us, wondering about the Cincinnati Reds' middle relievers. Only on RedsZone.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-26-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Turn Off Ads?