Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Jonathan Broxton- 3 Years, $21m; 4th Year option

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reds Sign Jonathan Broxton- 3 Years, $21m; 4th Year option

Reds In Serious Talks With Jonathan Broxton
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 26 at 2:30pm CST]

The Reds are in serious talks about a deal for free agent reliever Jonathan Broxton, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (Twitter link). The sides are expected to reach a multiyear contract if they agree to a deal.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#HpVO3Mc8JcCtQp5r.99

Re: Reds In Serious Talks With Jonathan Broxton

I'm guessing 4 years, 38 million, with a 4th year buyout.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Whoa, for real? That seems steep, but all along people have been saying that he's a hot commodity this year. It'd be nice to get him back and hopefully on a decent deal.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Whoa, for real? That seems steep, but all along people have been saying that he's a hot commodity this year. It'd be nice to get him back and hopefully on a decent deal.

-Matt
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, lot's of interest was indicated. He is young still. I'd prefer not to see something like that, though.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    That seems like way too much for him. We're not far removed from the Cordero contract, and we know how that worked out.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    That seems like way too much for him. We're not far removed from the Cordero contract, and we know how that worked out.
    Yeah we do. 1 poor season IMO. He stabilized the bullpen for the duration of his contract. Sure, he was frustrating at times, but overall he was pretty darned good during his tenure here. I might be in the minority in that though.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

For everything said about Cordero's contract, he had a decent save percentage with us and made our bullpen very strong.

Sure we overpaid for that, but other UFA's weren't lining up to play for us.

And when he left and eventually became Houston's closer he promptly blew consecutive saves to us.

We've had worse deals than Cordero.

That's a fair point, but I think Cordero was something like 4 years, 48 million?
    (Or in that ballpark) Cordero was also older and a candidate for a decline.

Broxton is only 28, and really looked great as a Red.

The Reds are going to have to add a reliever in order to move Chapman to the rotation. Even if they wanted Hoover to close, they'd still need to add at least one more reliever. Why not get arguably the best FA reliever available (as opposed to trying to get lucky with a rehab or waiver wire pickup).. I trust Walt will not overpay. He's no dummy and is not going to cripple the team. I think the Reds have more money that we think they do.

In hindsight, Cordero was overpaid but he did a great job stabilizing the bullpen. It's a valid criticism that the Reds went one year (or maybe two years) too long on him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That's a fair point, but I think Cordero was something like 4 years, 48 million?
    (Or in that ballpark) Cordero was also older and a candidate for a decline.

Broxton is only 28, and really looked great as a Red.

The Reds are going to have to add a reliever in order to move Chapman to the rotation. Even if they wanted Hoover to close, they'd still need to add at least one more reliever. Why not get arguably the best FA reliever available (as opposed to trying to get lucky with a rehab or waiver wire pickup).. I trust Walt will not overpay. He's no dummy and is not going to cripple the team. I think the Reds have more money that we think they do.

In hindsight, Cordero was overpaid but he did a great job stabilizing the bullpen. It's a valid criticism that the Reds went one year (or maybe two years) too long on him.
    I can get on board with this point.

My gripe with Cordero was the money, not the years. And you're right that he was due for a decline, and I'm reading similar stuff on Broxton, with his dipping velocity and K rates. But if they can keep it under something like 3/22, I'll tip my cap and trust it'll work out.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I can get on board with this point.

My gripe with Cordero was the money, not the years. And you're right that he was due for a decline, and I'm reading similar stuff on Broxton, with his dipping velocity and K rates. But if they can keep it under something like 3/22, I'll tip my cap and trust it'll work out.
    I agree, Cordero was overpaid. No question about it. At least he did the job though most of the time.

Like Mth said, I'd much rather spend money on Broxton than an injury rehab guy like Madson.. The analogy is kind of like Cordero worked out a lot better than Stanton did. Cordero was a lot more expensive, but at least he produced reasonably well. Stanton had negative value.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Wrong thread.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 11-26-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Ken Rosenthal
    Sources: Broxton deal with #Reds expected to be for three years.
    I'm guessing 3/24: 6/8/10.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm guessing 3/24: 6/8/10.
    Sounds about right. That would put him in the same neighborhood as the contract Brandon League just signed with the Dodgers.

The obvious concern is paying that much money to a guy who's that fat. Are his knees, ankles and back up to the contract?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Sounds about right. That would put him in the same neighborhood as the contract Brandon League just signed with the Dodgers.

The obvious concern is paying that much money to a guy who's that fat. Are his knees, ankles and back up to the contract?
    He's not fat! Just big boned .

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    He's not fat! Just big boned .
    Seems like he's both. Broxton could become the first pitcher to come out to the mound on a Segue.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?