Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Jonathan Broxton- 3 Years, $21m; 4th Year option

Re: Reds In Serious Talks With Jonathan Broxton

My take is that if they're going to spend money on an effective pitcher, I can make peace with that. Plus this perhaps paves the way for Chapman in the rotation, where he perhaps might be awesome. I like awesome.

Also, like Benihana, I suspect the Reds still might have plenty of cash to go after a bat or two.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

They aren't going to let Chapman go to the rotation without a proven closer. Broxton is a proven closer. They aren't going to do it if it breaks the budget and prohibits them from addressing other needs...

I know when they signed Marshall, the thought was he could be the closer of the future, but he thrives in the setup role, and that's proven.

The Reds have been smart in recent years. I trust them to continue that trend. It's nice to say that.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 11-27-2012 at 07:15 PM.

I'm just wondering.. not calling anyone out.. but of all the FA relievers available, is there really anyone better than Broxton out there? There might be a guy or two that I'm not thinking of, but giving the best reliever on the market a 3 year deal when he's only 28 .. the downside seems pretty minimal, barring injury.

I think we're all conditioned into having to patch a pitching staff together based on reclamation projects, inviting 6 relievers to spring training and hoping 2 will be effective.. It's kind of nice to lock down guys like Marshall and Broxton. Sure we got guys like Hoover and LeCure, but there's plenty of important middle innings for them to pitch over the course of the season.

Going into the offseason, we needed at least one more proven reliever and a 3b/LF.. Might as well sign Broxton and check one task off the list (as opposed to the risk of having to trade prospects later to patch the bullpen)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Heyman says it's a done deal. No terms, but he says "at least three years." Maybe Brox was more concerned with years than salary.

@JonHeymanCBS: Broxton, Reds in agreement on new deal. announcement expected Wednesday. http://t.co/lzwWpynx
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

So. Chapman to the rotation. Redmond signed as a backup, he's a starter. This Broxton signing could open the door to some moves.

A trade by the Reds of a starting pitcher is likely to come down soon, I'd guess. Maybe already agreed upon.

Leake is the obvious candidate. I guess Arroyo could go in a cost cutting move. But I'd guess Leake.

I'm guessing the Reds will now be fairly active at the Winter Meetings next week.

I'm happy. Broxton may (or may not) be a little expensive, but just like after buying anything for a good chunk of change, after time and many uses you forget about the price tag and really appreciate what you have. Barring blown saves.

Makes sense to me. Broxton is still young and may still have some recovery left from his TJ surgery. If so, he could become dominant again. And it's definitely time to see if Chapman can become a big league starter.

It'll be interesting now to see if they sacrifice talent for a leadoff guy with Hamilton on the doorstep. I'd rather see them bring in Willingham (or some other legit 4-hole hitter), but would not be surprised if they dealt for Coco Crisp.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

3 for $21M

Option for 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    3 for $21M

Option for 2016.
    I wanted three and less than $22m. I'll take it. Welcome back, big man.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Per Rosenthal:

Salaries of $4M-$7M-$9M, with $1M buyout on $9M option.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...e-to-deal.html

WEDNESDAY, 7:35am: The three-year deal is worth $21MM, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (Twitter links). The deal will pay Broxton $4MM in 2013, $7MM in 2014 and $9MM in 2015. It also includes a $9MM club option for 2016 with a $1MM buyout. If the Reds trade Broxton, the guarantee grows to $22MM, with the 2016 option becoming a mutual option with a $2MM buyout.

Great deal for the Reds (assuming Broxton doesn't fall off a cliff). Reds pitching next year could be the best in the league.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

I'd certainly like to see Broxton show up to ST in "the best shape of his life."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'd certainly like to see Broxton show up to ST in "the best shape of his life."
    LOL. Classic T-I-C line!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    3 for $21M

Option for 2016.
    A reasonable amount. The years are longer then I had hoped, but I will take it for a smaller yearly salary.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?