Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Jonathan Broxton- 3 Years, $21m; 4th Year option

Re: Reds Sign Jonathan Broxton- 3 Years, $21m; 4th Year option

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Look at it this way...Jonny Gomes just got a 2yr/$10MM contract. I'd MUCH rather have Broxton for only $2MM AAV more per year. This is a good signing.
    Wow, I had to look up Gomes signing, because I hadn't heard that and that just stunned me.
    I guess the Red Sox still don't know how to spend money effectively in FA?
    I'm very happy for Gomes, he seems like a nice guy, but why give 2 years/10 million to a guy that was basically spring training invitee for the last 3-4 years?
    Kind of reeks of a team that has a lot of cash to spend but is desperate..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm very surprised by the value the Reds got on this deal, as you can see by my prediction. I think the biggest plus is just 4 million for this year's salary, which may allow for Ludwick to sign.

This also adds value to the trade from the Reds' standpoint, as they didn't have to work as hard to sign a guy that was acquainted already. They should also know his health status quite well as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I just don't see how they can afford to trade a starter unless they're adding another starter via trade or free agency. Not only is it unrealistic to expect everyone to stay healthy, it's crazy to think Chapman can go from closer to much more than 150 innings next season. They need rotation depth more than ever.
    Possible rotation for 2013:

Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Chapman
    Arroyo
    Leake
    Lecure
    Redmon
    Cingrani
    Hoover

Granted that the last two are not very likely, but they are still options. I think for once the Reds have a surplus of starting pitchers, and it would be fine to trade one of them to fill another hole on the team.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Brox had serious elbow/shoulder problems in 2011 with the Dodgers. I don't know what that means for the future, but it is something worth mentioning as a potential issue with the signing.

A good signing, but there is an injury risk, possibly more than the average pitcher I'd guess.
    That's my point, he's probably a lower injury risk because he has had recent surgery on his arm. That is why I consider his injury risk no more than inherent and not worthy of triggering anxiety.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    But is it a higher injury risk? What, because he's carrying 50-70 extra pounds? I think he has the same risk as any pitcher, which means its an inherent risk and not worth mentioning as a downside factor of the signing.
    I don't worry about his arm per se, but that extra weight puts a lot of stress on your joints and back. Pitchers do a lot of work with their legs and trunk.

I like the deal, mainly because the Reds got a long look at Broxton in 2012 and clearly liked what they saw. They have demonstrated a fairly keen eye for bullpen talent in recent years. I trust their judgment. Yet, if it goes wrong at some point, it's likely because his frame is breaking down under a 300+ pound load.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't worry about his arm per se, but that extra weight puts a lot of stress on your joints and back. Pitchers do a lot of work with their legs and trunk.

I like the deal, mainly because the Reds got a long look at Broxton in 2012 and clearly liked what they saw. They have demonstrated a fairly keen eye for bullpen talent in recent years. I trust their judgment. Yet, if it goes wrong at some point, it's likely because his frame is breaking down under a 300+ pound load.
    The only comp I can think of is CC and he's been healthy. Hopefully Brox can be too.

Not crazy about this, but 3/21 is a bit more reasonable than what I was anticipating.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Techie View Post
    Possible rotation for 2013:

Cueto
    Latos
    Bailey
    Chapman
    Arroyo
    Leake
    Lecure
    Redmon
    Cingrani
    Hoover

Granted that the last two are not very likely, but they are still options. I think for once the Reds have a surplus of starting pitchers, and it would be fine to trade one of them to fill another hole on the team.
    Agreed. If we can't fit Ludwick in the 2013 and beyond budget or if Walt doesn't think Luddy is going to repeat 2012, the Reds would be foolish to not try to acquire a LF via trade. We don't have an impact corner outfield prospect close to the bigs and we do have a lot of pitching available.

I would like Walt to call the Royals and Marlins and see what the prices are for Myers and Stanton. Let's see if we can just slightly overpay for one of them and put the Reds in much better position.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    The only comp I can think of is CC and he's been healthy. Hopefully Brox can be too.
    Coffee has been healthy too if I am remembering correctly.

winning + happy clubhouse = not needing to overpay for free agents

Telephone conference with Broxton about the signing: http://mlblogsramsey.files.wordpress...11/broxton.mp3

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=19015

Glance at this and it looks like another case of a team buying into a small sample and proven closer mythology. But there might be a reason to think the Reds made their most important investment in Broxton before signing this contract. Broxton began throwing a cutter in late August, according to Brooks Baseball. The cutter became one of Broxton’s favorite tools in September—especially against left-handers when trailing in the count, or versus righties to start encounters. Broxton’s new toy finished the season with the highest whiff rate, lowest ball rate, and lowest True Average-against of his arsenal.

Differentiating between sliders and cutters is a difficult task, but there are two factors separating Broxton’s cutter and his slider. One is the velocity gap between the two pitches. Broxton’s cutter averaged 93 mph, while his slider sat at 88 mph. It would be fair to think some of the cutters are just hard-thrown sliders, and yet the fastest average slider (thrown by Tyler Yates) clocked in at less than 90 mph. Another difference is the vertical movement offered by the two pitches. The evidence points toward a new pitch rather than a misclassification.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    winning + happy clubhouse = not needing to overpay for free agents
    A much overlooked formula.

Broxton began throwing a cutter in late August, according to Brooks Baseball. The cutter became one of Broxton’s favorite tools in September—especially against left-handers when trailing in the count, or versus righties to start encounters. Broxton’s new toy finished the season with the highest whiff rate, lowest ball rate, and lowest True Average-against of his arsenal.
    Is it just me, or have there been a lot of pitchers that have added a cutter later in their career and are able to squeeze a few more good years out in the process?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?