Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broxton's new 3 year deal

Broxton's new 3 year deal

Seems to be getting a deal similar to League's.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-deal/related/
    Last edited by MBZags; 11-28-2012 at 11:34 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Broxton's new 3 year deal

Half asleep. Just saw someone posted in the other Broxton thread.

This probably means Chapman to the rotation, which still scares me. He doesn't have a good changeup, and his fastball is as straight as it is fast. Big league hitters will kill that ball the third time through the lineup.

I hope I'm wrong, but Chapman is closer material.

i just hope the deal isnt worth more than $4mill per year

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    This probably means Chapman to the rotation, which still scares me. He doesn't have a good changeup, and his fastball is as straight as it is fast. Big league hitters will kill that ball the third time through the lineup.

Around the end of the season, it seemed like the hitters were starting to realize: don't swing unless you absolutely have to. So many of his early strikeouts were on hitters swinging at ball 3 and/or 4. His control scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post

It's going to be a nightmare. I cannot wrap my head around why they're so hell bent on "fixing" a pitching staff that was the only consistency they had last year.

Salukifan2

3 years 21mil is way more than broxton is worth.

I don't particularly like or dislike this deal for either party. Reds paid about market value considering the deals League and Affeldt got as set-up men or earlier relievers.

Honestly, I thought it might be closer to 3/24. $9 million in 2015 isn't too hateful and the team could always move him if they needed to.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    It's going to be a nightmare. I cannot wrap my head around why they're so hell bent on "fixing" a pitching staff that was the only consistency they had last year.
    You may be right and of course are entitled to feel whichever way you choose. I do think it's worth letting this off-season come into further view before handing out report cards, though.

Chapman to the rotation also may free up an arm for a trade to better improve the other side of the ball.

Also, after spending a few weeks watching him start down in Goodyear last year (yes, I know Spring Training doesn't mean a lot), I'm more optimistic about his ability to start than I was previously.

Let's just hope for the best.

Assuming Leake is the odd man out now, I certainly hope they don't up and deal him away over the winter. I would hate to see Todd Redmond taking the ball every fifth day, if Chapman as a starter doesn't pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Assuming Leake is the odd man out now, I certainly hope they don't up and deal him away over the winter. I would hate to see Todd Redmond taking the ball every fifth day, if Chapman as a starter doesn't pan out.
    I'm with you Dave. If we do have to ship Leake out to improve the club, I at least hope he isn't packaged with Cingrani or Corcino as well. I think even if Chapman pans out exactly as we might hope, the chances of the Reds making it through 162 games with only 5 starters again are pretty slim.

Of course, as always, it all depends on the return. I could get down on some Wil Myers...

Unfortunately, I'm not sure the Reds have overly enticing chips they're willing to part with in a trade that are not pitchers.

Salukifan2

This has the potential to be very scary. If Broxton returns to his '10 and '11 form and Chapman isn't very successful as a starter this could really hurt the reds. If it aint broke don't fix it right?

Walt certainly likes to push that money on down the road, doesn't he?

Yeah, I hope this is to solidify the setup role for the next few seasons and keeping Chapman at closer. I don't trust him pitching multiple times through a lineup at this point. When things go south for him, it seems like they so in a hurry. I could also see him having to be shut down early and he's one of the few guys on the team I think is neccessary for a long run in the playoffs. I really hope they plan on keeping him at closer. This rotation was awesome last year, despite how young they were, so why change it?

ugh. way over paid for broxton.

Turn Off Ads?