Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chapman told to prepare as a starter

Chapman told to prepare as a starter

per rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/m...e-as-a-starter

The Reds actually told Chapman to prepare as a starter immediately following the season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman told to prepare as a starter

Fay has this:
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...pman-to-start/
    “Nothing is in stone right now,” assistant general manager Bob Miller said. “We told (Chapman) before he left to prepare like he was coming in as a starter. That’s the hard part, preparing as a starter. There’s nothing set in stone. When we talked to Jonathan, we said you’re going to be in the backend of the bullpen.

“What happens will play out in spring training. It depends what other moves we make in the offseason. There are concerns with Chapman’s innings and things like that. Everything will play out.”

Cool. So he's not committing to anything so as not to loose leverage in possible deals for his starters, etc.

Do the Reds subscribe to the Verducci Effect and limit him to 98 innings?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

-The Insider-

Reds pitching coach Bryan Price said Wednesday that Aroldis Chapman will be on an innings limit in 2013.
    Chapman is expected to transition from the bullpen to the rotation, and will have to be monitored closely because he threw only 71 2/3 innings in 2012 and most starters reach 200 innings when good health is maintained. "A hard number, I can’t say," Price told the Cincinnati Enquirer. "I’d like to see where he is in terms of innings and pitchers after 25 or 30 starts."

Well, 25-30 starts would yield 150-175 innings at roughly 6 IP per start.

It seems, then, they're setting their bar a little higher than some were claiming.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    If we did follow Mr. Verducci's advice, we can theoretically add thirty to Chapman's highest innings total. That'd put him somewhere around 150. Price said there wouldn't be any set in stone number though.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I hear, Chapman will only get 1 start in April. Then he'll be the 5th starter in May and June. They will pitch him until the All-Star break and then give him the rest of July off. Start him back up the second week of August, through September and hopefully the postseason. They calculate it will save him from about 10 starts, roughly 60 IP. So he'll have about 20 starts and 120-150 IP.

Where'd ya hear that from? Sounds like an awful lot of starting and stopping, IMO.

Verducci only applies to kids 23 and under. The Reds can push Chapman a little more. I'd guess around 150 innings would be OK.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

They have in the past when it came to prospects. But, Chapman has thrown 125.2 innings in a season before (in Cuba). So his "limit" would be 155.2 if they were strictly at +30 of his previous high.

I expect the Reds to have a plan that will allow them to use Chapman in the playoffs as a starter.

I personally think the reds are messing up putting chapman in the rotation.I would'nt have no problem with him starting if he had more than two pitches but he does'nt.He does'nt thow and I see it turning ugly fast once the batters start teeing off on him.He needs to learn another pitch or two b/c the fastball isn't going to get you out of trouble everytime.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Chapman and only 2 pit he's is a myth. He has a change that he abandoned as a closer. I would bet his winter routine andST puts that back in his repertoire. He also has the slider and he throws 2 fastballs. In ST last year he was pitching pretty well using all his pitches. When he went to the pen he really only needed the hard stuff and his change needs to be utilized to keep it sharp. Any pitch does in point but especially one a guy has learned fairly recently. Chapman will succeed or fail based on command and temperment imo, not lack of repertoire.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They have in the past when it came to prospects. But, Chapman has thrown 125.2 innings in a season before (in Cuba). So his "limit" would be 155.2 if they were strictly at +30 of his previous high.
    Those are Cuban innings, though. And as we all know, that translates into about 170 US innings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Chapman and only 2 pit he's is a myth. He has a change that he abandoned as a closer. I would bet his winter routine andST puts that back in his repertoire. He also has the slider and he throws 2 fastballs. In ST last year he was pitching pretty well using all his pitches. When he went to the pen he really only needed the hard stuff and his change needs to be utilized to keep it sharp. Any pitch does in point but especially one a guy has learned fairly recently. Chapman will succeed or fail based on command and temperment imo, not lack of repertoire.
    I need to see that third pitch before I throw him to the wolves. He will not work out as a starter if he can only use 2 pitches

Turn Off Ads?