Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I am 34 years old....

I am 34 years old....

and this might be the first time I've seen a Royals game on national television. Good for them.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-26-2014),Beltway (08-25-2014),Chip R (08-26-2014),cinredsfan2000 (08-25-2014),RedlegJake (08-25-2014),reds1869 (08-26-2014),RedTeamGo! (08-25-2014),Spider Tre (08-26-2014),wolfboy (08-26-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I am 34 years old....

Those epic Yankees v. Royals battles throughout the 2nd half of the '70's and beyond were such fun; Monday Night Baseball, Game of the Week, and of course, the A.L. Championship. Chambliss's game 5 walk-off blast, and Brett's almost forgotten 3 run crowd silencing shot that tied things in the 8th; even today, I can hear Cosell & Keith Jackson calling it. Lightening would strike twice the following year, a moment embodied by a lone Royal, Freddie Patek, sobbing in defeat in an empty dugout. 1980 was sweet Royal revenge, watching Brett launch his upper-deck blast vs. a seemingly invincible Goose Gossage, finally propelling KC to its first Series. They had some really good teams thereafter, finally culminating with a Series victory in '85.

I recall hearing as a kid that Ewing Kaufmann habitually ran his Royals at a loss during this period in order to field a winner and make Kansas City proud. I'm not certain to what extent this was true, but Mr. Kaufmann indeed brought much excitement and great memories for the fans of Kansas City and for baseball during his era. IIRC, he was a great credit to his community in terms of donating much of his vast fortune to area causes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Some of you just aren't cut out to follow baseball. You can't live and die second-guessing every decision for 162 games

5. Likes:

Always Red (08-25-2014),Big Klu (08-25-2014),Chip R (08-26-2014)

I guess in may not count as national TV, but the Royals are on WGN every year playing the White Sox, and as someone who watches as much baseball as I can, I have seen them quite a bit.

I'm 40 but remember the 1985 World Series quite well.

Still can't believe the fastest player in baseball was ran over by an automatic tarp and injured.

I hope they win and Dyson does a backflip

Martin Prado has been a good pickup for the Yankees, as has Brandon McCarthy

James Shields has pitched 90+ pitches in 106 consecutive starts? Goodness

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Number_Fourteen View Post
    Those epic Yankees v. Royals battles throughout the 2nd half of the '70's and beyond were such fun; Monday Night Baseball, Game of the Week, and of course, the A.L. Championship. Chambliss's game 5 walk-off blast, and Brett's almost forgotten 3 run crowd silencing shot that tied things in the 8th; even today, I can hear Cosell & Keith Jackson calling it. Lightening would strike twice the following year, a moment embodied by a lone Royal, Freddie Patek, sobbing in defeat in an empty dugout. 1980 was sweet Royal revenge, watching Brett launch his upper-deck blast vs. a seemingly invincible Goose Gossage, finally propelling KC to its first Series. They had some really good teams thereafter, finally culminating with a Series victory in '85.

I recall hearing as a kid that Ewing Kaufmann habitually ran his Royals at a loss during this period in order to field a winner and make Kansas City proud. I'm not certain to what extent this was true, but Mr. Kaufmann indeed brought much excitement and great memories for the fans of Kansas City and for baseball during his era. IIRC, he was a great credit to his community in terms of donating much of his vast fortune to area causes.
    I was at the old stadium for the Chambliss HR. Brett was something else. Amazing how a guy could go on the field in front of those fans (this was NYC in the 70's) and elevate his game the way he did. I just don't have enough good things to say about George Brett.

12. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (08-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    James Shields has pitched 90+ pitches in 106 consecutive starts? Goodness
    That's chump change. J.J. Hoover has thrown 90+ pitches in 106 relief appearances. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Number_Fourteen View Post

The Royals were an elite team in the American League, and the team to beat in the AL West during a ten-year span from about 1976 to 1985.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 08-26-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

15. Likes:

Chip R (08-26-2014),Number_Fourteen (08-25-2014)

They were on TV a lot in the 70's and 80's. They were my favorite American League team back then. Brett,Amos Otis,Freddie Patek,Frank White,Dennis Leonard,Dan Quisenberry,Paul Splittorf etcc...... I'm sure I could think of most of the key players. They just fell completely off the table after they won the 85 World Series and never found their way until this season. I hope they win that division. Baseball can always use some new blood in the playoffs.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I am def rooting for them the rest of this season.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

They laid an egg against the Yankees. Unfortunate as I wanted the Yankees to be buried by the time September rolled around. I am rooting for the Royals to win the division and the Angels and Mariners to make the WC. I am very happy for the Orioles as well. No Red Sox and Yankees means ESPN can avoid any coverage of baseball and waste their time doing something they are not very good at to begin with.

Used to be a staple on the game of the week, and Monday Night Baseball back in the day. They were really really really good for a long time.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I guess in may not count as national TV, but the Royals are on WGN every year playing the White Sox, and as someone who watches as much baseball as I can, I have seen them quite a bit.
    You are a true baseball fan when you are watching a Royals - White Sox game. I am definitely a lesser breed of fan.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Royals were on FS1 last night. So they are starting to get their due.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

22. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (08-27-2014)

Turn Off Ads?