Thread: Eye on the Others: Prospects in NL Central

Eye on the Others: Prospects in NL Central

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...pects-for-2013

Pittsburgh:
    1) Gerrit Cole, RHP, Grade A:
    2) Jameson Taillon, RHP, Grade A-:
    3) Alen Hanson, SS, Grade B+:
    4) Gregory Polanco, OF, Grade B+:
    5) Luis Heredia, RHP, Grade B+: Borderline B.
    6) Barrett Barnes, OF, Grade B:
    7) Josh Bell, OF, Grade B: Borderline B-:
    8) Nick Kingham, RHP, Grade B-: Borderline B.
    9) Dilson Herrera, 2B, Grade B-: Colombian showed unusually good power for a rookie ball middle infielder.
    10) Wyatt Mathisen, C, Grade B-:
    11) Clay Holmes, RHP, Grade B-: Borderline C+:

Descriptions are available on the link.

That's a lot of future regulars, I hope Cole and Taillon don't develop like expected.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Salukifan2

Re: Eye on the Others: Prospects in NL Central

To bad they play for the Pirates where all of their talent will surely be squandered.

Two of the top 14 picks in the June Draft as well.

Salukifan2

here's st. louis

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...pects-2012-13/

They left off Kevin Siegrist who was picked by bleacher report as the top pitcher in the AFL this season. As well as Seth Blair who was picked by bleacher as the 5 best pitcher during the fall league.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittingham.Sam View Post
    To bad they play for the Pirates where all of their talent will surely be squandered.
    Even though they are taking Navy Seal training?

here's st. louis

They left off Kevin Siegrist who was picked by bleacher report as the top pitcher in the AFL this season. As well as Seth Blair who was picked by bleacher as the 5 best pitcher during the fall league.
    1) Oscar Taveras (OF) -Two contacts have projected peak numbers worth sharing for Oscar Tavares. One saw him as a .250 hitter with 35+ home run potential. The other saw the center fielder as a .290 hitter with 25+ home runs annually. Plus, contacts thought he could stick up the middle for now. Either way, he’s the best young position player the Cardinals have produced since MVP candidate Yadier Molina. (Mike Newman)

2) Michael Wacha (P)
    3) Shelby Miller (P) - Miller’s rebound from a tough start in Triple-A became one of the feel good stories in minor league baseball for me this year. Given the nasty rumors surrounding his struggles, it was great to see Miller dominate big league hitters for a month. My hope is that Miller and Trevor Rosenthal open the 2013 season as part of a revamped Cardinals rotation. (Mike Newman)

4) Carlos Martinez (P)
    5) Kolten Wong (2B)
    6) Trevor Rosenthal (P) - Before Rosenthal exploded onto the scene with multiple 100 MPH readings in the National League playoffs, he was a lesser known prospect cast in the shadows of Shelby Miller, Carlos Martinez and even Tyrell Jenkins. This led to shock when a scout of approximately 30 years told me without hesitation that Rosenthal was the best starting pitcher he had scouted in 2012 as we were watching uber-prospect Taijuan Walker (Mariners) in person. To be honest, I found it difficult to believe the scout’s claim Rosenthal posessed a 97 MPH sinker, but he was spot on. (Mike Newman)

7) Stephen Piscotty (3B/DH)
    8) Carson Kelly (3B)
    9) Tyrell Jenkins (P)
    10) Matt Adams (1B)

Tough to see St. Louis loading up like this, but these guys still have to play in the majors before they're for real.

Salukifan2

Here is chicago

Much like the pirates i'm sure they will find a way up what they've got haha.

It will still be at least two years before any of there top prospects make an impact in the bigs.
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 11-29-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Here is chicago

Much like the pirates i'm sure they will find a way up what they've got haha.

It will still be at least two years before any of there top prospects make an impact in the bigs.
    Chicago has a long ways to go prospect wise, although, their payroll is way under what they are used to spending, especially after Soriano leaves, which may even be this offseason.

Salukifan2

I have Faith in Epstein but not the cubs. They just seem to have the innate ability to get the least out of the most talent.

Sickels Cubs list:

1) Javier Baez, SS, Grade A: Borderline A-.
    2) Albert Almora, OF, Grade B+:
    3) Jorge Soler, OF, Grade B+:
    4) Dan Vogelbach, 1B, Grade B: Borderline B+.
    5) Arodys Vizcaino, RHP, Grade B-
    6) Brett Jackson, OF, Grade B-:
    7) Dillon Maples, RHP, Grade B-:
    8) Christian Villanueva, 3B, Grade B-:
    9) Matt Szczur, OF, Grade B-:
    10) Pierce Johnson, RHP, Grade B-:
    11) Gioskar Amaya, 2B, Grade B-:
    12) Duane Underwood, RHP, Grade B-: Borderline C+:
    13) Josh Vitters, 3B, Grade C+: Borderline B-

Seems like an awfully generous grading for the Cubs, as each description was filled with ifs and buts. They are 2-3 years away.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Sickels Cubs list:

1) Javier Baez, SS, Grade A: Borderline A-.
    2) Albert Almora, OF, Grade B+:
    3) Jorge Soler, OF, Grade B+:
    4) Dan Vogelbach, 1B, Grade B: Borderline B+.
    5) Arodys Vizcaino, RHP, Grade B-
    6) Brett Jackson, OF, Grade B-:
    7) Dillon Maples, RHP, Grade B-:
    8) Christian Villanueva, 3B, Grade B-:
    9) Matt Szczur, OF, Grade B-:
    10) Pierce Johnson, RHP, Grade B-:
    11) Gioskar Amaya, 2B, Grade B-:
    12) Duane Underwood, RHP, Grade B-: Borderline C+:
    13) Josh Vitters, 3B, Grade C+: Borderline B-

Seems like an awfully generous grading for the Cubs, as each description was filled with ifs and buts. They are 2-3 years away.

Sickels grades out the rest of the top 20 as C+ with some other C+ listed after that. In that other C+ section is Ronald Torreyes.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Sickels grades out the rest of the top 20 as C+ with some other C+ listed after that. In that other C+ section is Ronald Torreyes.
    Just based on the numbers ('cause I've never seen him play), I'm going to predict that Torreyes WILL be a major league player. His ability to put the bat on the ball seems quite remarkable.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Just based on the numbers ('cause I've never seen him play), I'm going to predict that Torreyes WILL be a major league player. His ability to put the bat on the ball seems quite remarkable.
    He was almost historically unlucky this season.

I'm biased because he's my very favorite prospect in all of minor league baseball, but I also believe he'll be a major leaguer. Lots of contact ability; I also believe he'll develop more power as he matures. Torreyes would be a great guy to have in a couple of years.

Turn Off Ads?