Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Upton to Braves

Upton to Braves

According to cbssports.com BJ upton has agreed with the Braves.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Upton to Braves

5/75.25

I am absolutely okay with this.

5/75, IMO is too much for his actual production. Also, this may get the ball rolling as far as the free agent outfielders and this is another outfield need filled. The more the demand goes down, the lower the price for guys like Victorino or Ludwick.

Indeed, this is good news... I cannot believe the Reds were even entertaining looking at him with his Strikeouts... I mean, we have the same player in Stubbs who can probably hit 25 HR if he could figure out how to cut down his own strikeouts by 25%...

So now, I hope the Reds trade for Justin Upton but I doubt they will.

Why is this good news? Atlanta fills a hole but doesn't that just create one in Tampa? And when a team overpays doesn't that up the market for other outfielders?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Why is this good news? Atlanta fills a hole but doesn't that just create one in Tampa? And when a team overpays doesn't that up the market for other outfielders?
    Upton was a free agent that was unlikely to be retained by Tampa Bay, so I already considered that a hole. They have Joyce & Jennings locked into the OF right now and Zobrist can play everywhere, so they won't necessarily be pursuing outfielders.

As far as the overpaying part, it does not necessarily set the market. Free agent values are often determined by comparables. Who is a comparable for Upton? Under 30 years old, 25 homers, 30 steals, below .300 OBP. I'm guessing they used Ian Kinsler's 5/75 extension as a baseline giving him points for playing a premium position but taking some away for his low average and OBP.

If the other OFers on the market were comparable to Upton, I'd be worried, but since guys like Hamilton, Bourn, Victorino, Ludwick, Ichiro, Pagan and Ross are different types of players, it should not significantly inflate their value.

Salukifan2

I hope that doesn't set a precedent.

It probably will. Still, what this team needs is a consistent middle of the order hitter like Ludwick or a high-OBP leadoff hitter that doesn't strike out too much. Jay Bruce is nice, but a team can only have so many high-strikeout guys like him. I'm glad we didn't put up that kind of money for this guy.

Chip Caray will sure have fun with him. BJ is inconsistent and lazy, somebody that I'm fine with the Reds not having.

Glad it wasnt us, his ego doesnt match his actual production.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I already am tired of the Upton brothers playing together rumors. Its been mentioned today's move is to free up salary to take on Justin's contract.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Turn Off Ads?