Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denard Span to the Nats

Denard Span to the Nats

for RHP Alex Meyer

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Salukifan2

Re: Denard Span to the Nats

Does this mean the nats are about to shop Morse very aggressively?

Quote Originally Posted by Brittingham.Sam View Post
    Does this mean the nats are about to shop Morse very aggressively?
    Depends on what happens with Adam LaRoche. If he leaves they will move Morse to 1st if he comes back then they will look to add a big league arm for Morse.

I actually met Meyer in the summer as he's family with friends I have. Great pitcher and even better person. I wish him the best.

The new Nats order could be even better in 2013

Denard Span
    Jayson Werth
    Ryan Zimmerman
    Bryce Harper
    Michael Morse
    Ian Desmond
    Danny Espinosa
    Kurt Suzuki

Jockertty dragging feet.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    Jockertty dragging feet.
    He's letting the market come back to him, the more places that get their spots locked up faster the more leverage he picks up with the rest of the guys. The way things have played out so far are a positive for us now we just need the Phillies to make a big move and we could end up with a new CF and keep Ludwick.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    He's letting the market come back to him, the more places that get their spots locked up faster the more leverage he picks up with the rest of the guys. The way things have played out so far are a positive for us now we just need the Phillies to make a big move and we could end up with a new CF and keep Ludwick.
    Exactly right Hero. The more spots that get filled, the cheaper Ludwick, Victorino and the rest of the 2nd or 3rd tier OFers get. This is good for the Reds

Good deal for both teams, and good for Span. The Nats are going to be tough here for a while.

I almost wondered if the Reds wouldn't revisit trade talks for Span. Guess that answers my question. (Not to say they didn't)

Walt will work some magic for something, I'm not concerned on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Exactly right Hero. The more spots that get filled, the cheaper Ludwick, Victorino and the rest of the 2nd or 3rd tier OFers get. This is good for the Reds
    Except for the single fact that the Nats, a better team than the Reds to begin with, got a better outfielder than the Reds will likely end up with. And subtracted nothing from the major league roster in the process. Besides that, yes, everything is hunky dory.

This is insane to me. The Nats just landed a young, relatively cheap 4 win CF who plays exceptional defense with above average speed and on-base skills (sound like a fit for any other team you know?)... for a 22-year-old who has pitched one year of A-ball. I'm sure Meyer has wonderful potential, but I can't help but see this as an absolute steal.

How did no other team top this deal? Atlanta just gave Upton 75 million dollars - surely that organization had some plus pitching parts to spare; I mean, it's the Braves. We kept hearing about how Minnesota was asking the world for Span. I'm more than a little surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Except for the single fact that the Nats, a better team than the Reds to begin with, got a better outfielder than the Reds will likely end up with. And subtracted nothing from the major league roster in the process. Besides that, yes, everything is hunky dory.
    They gave up a big time pitching prospect for him something I doubt we would be wanting to do at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    This is insane to me. The Nats just landed a young, relatively cheap 4 win CF who plays exceptional defense with above average speed and on-base skills (sound like a fit for any other team you know?)... for a 22-year-old who has pitched one year of A-ball. I'm sure Meyer has wonderful potential, but I can't help but see this as an absolute steal.

How did no other team top this deal? Atlanta just gave Upton 75 million dollars - surely that organization had some plus pitching parts to spare; I mean, it's the Braves. We kept hearing about how Minnesota was asking the world for Span. I'm more than a little surprised.
    I have to agree. I thought Span would bring much more. This is why I never propose trades. I, obviously, have no feel for what the relative value of players are.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The only thing Walt Jocketty can control is the Cincinnati Reds. Therefore, his sole focus has to be making the Cincinnati Reds better. All I know is as the budget for the Reds appears to be thin. If teams use trades to fill their OF spots, this only pushes the free agents further down to the Reds budget and that's a good thing for the Reds.

The Nationals absolutely improved themselves on paper with this trade. Nobody has ever won a World Series on paper. The Angels and the Marlins were crowned last offseason with all their splashy moves and it didn't work out. Who knows? Jocketty may have something up his sleeve.

Sitting back and letting teams that were better than you in 2012 obtain better players than you obtain doesn't seem like a winning recipe to me.

Turn Off Ads?