Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Denard Span to the Nats

Re: Denard Span to the Nats

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    Most likely the Twins just like Meyer a lot more than our guys.
    This is what happen, the Nats been after Span for several years now and never got a deal done. The Twins finally found they guy they wanted enough for him and it got done after failing time and time again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I apologize if I came off as snarky before, that was certainly not my intent. I was just trying to understand your point of view.
    My point of view is that if teams that were as good as or better than the Reds in 2012 (i.e. Washington and Atlanta) are filling their OF needs with top tier players, then I don't care how many 2nd and 3rd tier OFs that Cincinnati can get cheaply.
    I think the Reds were lucky in 2012 to come up with 97 wins. They way outplayed their Pythag, their starters didn't miss a turn and they won't have 15-18 games against the Astros in 2013. I think we need to get the better players to stay in the hunt. Not settle for leftovers.
    So, I certainly find no solace in the fact that the big names are signing with other contending teams and the Reds will get some relative table scraps cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    My point of view is that if teams that were as good as or better than the Reds in 2012 (i.e. Washington and Atlanta) are filling their OF needs with top tier players, then I don't care how many 2nd and 3rd tier OFs that Cincinnati can get cheaply.
    I think the Reds were lucky in 2012 to come up with 97 wins. They way outplayed their Pythag, their starters didn't miss a turn and they won't have 15-18 games against the Astros in 2013. I think we need to get the better players to stay in the hunt. Not settle for leftovers.
    So, I certainly find no solace in the fact that the big names are signing with other contending teams and the Reds will get some relative table scraps cheaply.
    Neither will the Cards/Brewers. Once you get to the playoffs it's a crapshoot. I worry more about what the Cards and Brew Crew do than teams in the NL East.

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    Neither will the Cards/Brewers. Once you get to the playoffs it's a crapshoot. I worry more about what the Cards and Brew Crew do than teams in the NL East.
    If those teams from the NL East beat you out for Wild Card berth you may want to worry about them. But that's just me.

Braves and Reds both trying to trade for LF lead-off type hitter after losing out to Nationals on Denard Span trade efforts
    Jim Bowden tweet

If those teams from the NL East beat you out for Wild Card berth you may want to worry about them. But that's just me.
    Just my two cents. I think you are absolutely right that you need to be wary of the moves other teams - especially the contending ones - make in keeping your competitive margin. To that point, I still think there is enough good talent available for the Reds to improve their leadoff situation and outfield depth this offseason. So I'm going to stay optimistic there.

Span is really the only player who has been taken so far that I would have considered a good fit for the Reds, our payroll, and the chips we have potentially available for a trade. Even if we can't come up with something in free agency, there is enough CF/LF talent available that I think the Reds will be in good position to do something. Would have loved Span myself, but there's other girls at the ball to dance with too.

I think in terms of move reactiveness, there is a point to prioritizing concern about your division way more than you do the league as a whole. To even be in position to play for a Wild Card berth, 9 times out of 10 you will have had to done pretty well against your division rivals, who you see with frequency. With improvements I still expect to come, I think we'll be in good position to do that again.

We can debate the luck of the Reds all day and never come to an agreement. I'll just say this, they were projected to win 91 games according to the Pythag. It's not like they were projected to win 70 and won 97.

The Reds obviously found the cost prohibitive on Span. They couldn't pay for Hunter or Upton anyway. Again, I'm not saying "Let all the good free agents go so we can get the scraps!" The point is that other guys may come affordable if they are still sitting around with few options. Or they could get both Ludwick and Victorino. Rather than overpaying (which is what you have to do to sign someone this early in free agency) they may get guys for under market value.

Will they be as good on paper as the Nationals with Ludwick and Victorino? No, but would the Reds be better than the Nationals if they traded for Span and the Nationals went ahead and signed Hamilton or Bourn? Fact is, Washington has a huge checkbook for free agents. The Reds don't. They can't compare themselves to them. They must concentrate on making themselves better.

Turn Off Ads?