Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Span to Nationals

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Span to Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My guess is that you have never watched Stephenson pitch then. Cingrani or Corcino I get. Not sure I would pull the trigger, but I would get where someone else would. But Stephenson is in a different boat. He is a different breed.
    I have seen Stephenson pitch a couple times. I think he is a special talent, a different breed. That being said, he is at least three years away from contributing. While I don't think the Reds should sell the whole farm to win now, I do believe that we can trade some future value for some present value.

The Reds have a gaping black hole in centerfield, this we both agree on. I would try to deal Cingrani first, and if that wasn't a better offer than Meyer, I would then offer Corcino, if the Twins said I need Stephenson, I would still pull the trigger.

I can't judge Walt on his off-season for a while, but if Corcino or Cingrani or Stephenson could have got us Span in July, I am very upset Walt did not pull the trigger then. I legitimately think the difference between Span and Stubbs is the difference between at least a playoff series win and a first round exit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I really don't think Walt has any serious interest in getting a CF/Leadoff because there hoping that Billy Hamilton fills that role by the All Star Break. Think about it, if we get Span for 3 years then what do we do with Hamilton? Trade Him? He's going to be way cheaper then Span, Bourne, Bj Upton, Victorino or any other option and he may very well be better then them, and with the SB's a lot better then them. I think we will hear the reds rumored on CF options but in the end we will open Spring Training with Stubbs and Hamilton as the options and if Hamilton is ready then he will be handed the job on Opening Day if not then Stubbs will play til he is ready. I would much rather wait on Hamilton and keep Stephenson and are other pitching prospects then give them up for a guy whos not even as good as Hamilton.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I really don't think Walt has any serious interest in getting a CF/Leadoff because there hoping that Billy Hamilton fills that role by the All Star Break. Think about it, if we get Span for 3 years then what do we do with Hamilton? Trade Him? He's going to be way cheaper then Span, Bourne, Bj Upton, Victorino or any other option and he may very well be better then them, and with the SB's a lot better then them. I think we will hear the reds rumored on CF options but in the end we will open Spring Training with Stubbs and Hamilton as the options and if Hamilton is ready then he will be handed the job on Opening Day if not then Stubbs will play til he is ready. I would much rather wait on Hamilton and keep Stephenson and are other pitching prospects then give them up for a guy whos not even as good as Hamilton.
    If there's any GM who values the bird in the hand, it's Jocketty.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I don't agree, I think Walt will get a CF on a short contract for next year, two years max. Coco Crisp has one year left on his contract, with an option for 2014.

The more I think about it, the more Crisp makes a lot of sense for the Reds. The A's now have a lot of outfielders and Crisp is expendable.

I'm not saying Coco is a world beater, but given the Reds' situation, he would fit the bill for now. Switch hitter, can lead off, hits righties for a decent OBP, short contract. Might be a tad expensive for next year at $7 million. But a better choice IMO than Victorino who will want multiple years.

Crisp could also be a good mentor for Hamilton, both switch hitting centerfielders, Coco certainly has the experience to help Billy if they both are Reds at the same time.

I DO agree that the Reds won't break the bank or make a big deal for a star CF with Hamilton in the wings. Glad they didn't go for Span.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-30-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I don't think Jocketty will do anything to bring in a CF. Why give away valuable trading chips for a Rent-A-Player who at most will be a half season fill-in until Hamilton is ready? He already has Drew Stubbs to keep the position warm until probably mid-June and Billy Hamilton proves he is ready for the big time.
    I agree completely. I'm glad the Reds didn't make this trade (although I wouldn't have been horribly upset if they did, I guess).

LF/3b is a more pressing need. If we don't get a LF that can either hit in the middle of the lineup or leadoff, Phillips goes back to cleanup hitter, and we still have a hole at the top of the order. I guess to explain.. If we got Span (but couldn't get a decent LF), then the #2 hitter becomes one of Heisey/Stubbs/Cozart.. still an OBP "sink".

If we get a good LF (or 3b) for the middle of the lineup, Phillips moves to the top of the order.. He's a better hitter than Span. Then maybe Billy H gives us a boost in July/August. I really don't want to be forced to play Billy H in LF because of Span..

Span is signed for awhile.. that's great for a team like the Nats, but not a team like the Reds.. Now I would not mind finding a guy to share CF with Stubbs that would not cost much resources to acquire, as Mth suggested.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?