Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dexter Fowler

Re: Dexter Fowler

If this deal happens, I'd think Stubbs would be in it with Bailey. I'd love for the Reds to get Chris Nelson back with Fowler.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    What's wrong with Dexter Fowler's power?
    He doesn't really have any.

Career slugging:
    Home: .487
    Away: .367

Based on park factors, it's possible he maintains or surpasses his HR total. It's also likely his doubles and triples will be suppressed by GABP vs. Coors.

He does have a cool first name though.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    He doesn't really have any.

Career slugging:
    Home: .487
    Away: .367

Based on park factors, it's possible he maintains or surpasses his HR total. It's also likely his doubles and triples will be suppressed by GABP vs. Coors.

He does have a cool first name though.
    Admittedly I thought he had hit around 20 HR for some reason because I remembered he had a good SLG pct.

Having said that, I really don't care about his career numbers given that he is still a developing player who's approaching his peak years. I think he could rather easily maintain his power from this year.

I don't really care about his home/road splits either. As someone already said, players who leave Coors tend to maintain their production somehow. If you play half your games in a park like that, you're going to alter your approach to fit that park. I imagine he would be just fine moving to GABP.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    If this deal happens, I'd think Stubbs would be in it with Bailey. I'd love for the Reds to get Chris Nelson back with Fowler.
    Good point.

I'm fairly certain that O'Dowd doesn't view Tyler Colvin, though valuable in a utility role, as a full-time Center Fielder.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'd love for the Reds to get Chris Nelson back with Fowler.
    Me too. If the deal grows at all, then Nelson would be where I'd be focusing my attentions. He'd be a usable bat who can back up the whole IF.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Oh I beg your pardon. I assumed that the Rockies would be dying to improve their starting pitching, but I guess they just plan on them all getting better. Whatever

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci...ey-head-winter

Rockies have pitching plan in place as they head to winter meetings

There's no camouflaging the facts. Rockies starting pitchers posted a 29-68 record and 5.81 ERA in 2012. Simply put, they bombed.

Think the club is going to blow it all up and start from scratch? Think again.

The Rockies, despite a 98-loss season, view their starting rotation as a reclamation project. They are not planning to rebuild. They want to add help but insist they have a solid base in place, so long as left-hander Jorge De La Rosa and right-handers Jhoulys Chacin and Juan Nicasio stay healthy in 2013. They believe the addition of a veteran arm will add stability. They express confidence that one or two of their young starters will blossom to take a spot in the back of the rotation.

[read more at the link above]
    Stick to your guns.

Looking at Fowler's fangraphs page, his UZR has been consistently poor. Is that a Coors thing, an overrated-defender thing or a who-knows-with-UZR thing?

On the Fan Scouting Report, he's middle of the pack for CF, though he's actually quite similar to Stubbs with a weaker arm and worse first step... and I suppose a poor first step is a big problem in Coors.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Not really liking the idea of Bailey for Fowler. I think CF can be addressed for lesser players. If a Corcino/Stubbs/Lotzkar package could net Fowler, I'd be OK with it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Looking at Fowler's fangraphs page, his UZR has been consistently poor. Is that a Coors thing, an overrated-defender thing or a who-knows-with-UZR thing?.
    Quite possibly it is. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...te-zone-rating

"I’ve said before that I have my suspicions about fangraphs.com’s ultimate zone ratings (UZR). One thing that it doesn’t appear to take into account is what happens when outfielders play in very large ballparks."
    Stick to your guns.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Quite possibly it is. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...te-zone-rating

"I’ve said before that I have my suspicions about fangraphs.com’s ultimate zone ratings (UZR). One thing that it doesn’t appear to take into account is what happens when outfielders play in very large ballparks."
    I don't think it's just UZR. Fowler grades badly in Defensive Runs Saved and FRAA, and has done so pretty much his entire time in the majors. If he would be replacement level in another park, and I think he may be higher potentially, then he's a 4-5 win player unless his bat falls off. I take defensive stats from weird outfields like Coors with a grain of salt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Looking at Fowler's fangraphs page, his UZR has been consistently poor. Is that a Coors thing, an overrated-defender thing or a who-knows-with-UZR thing?

On the Fan Scouting Report, he's middle of the pack for CF, though he's actually quite similar to Stubbs with a weaker arm and worse first step... and I suppose a poor first step is a big problem in Coors.
    I noticed that too. Couple that with the questions about his bat outside of Coors and I'm a little worried about trading major pieces to Colorado for him.

Oh I beg your pardon. I assumed that the Rockies would be dying to improve their starting pitching, but I guess they just plan on them all getting better. Whatever
    LOL

That is hilariously awesome.

It is also reminiscent of the 2001 Reds pitching 'plan' of getting a full season out of Osvaldo Fernandez & Elmer Dessens, reclamation projects in Jose Rijo and Pete Harnisch, and a kiddie corps of Rob Bell, Chris Reitsma, Lance Davis, Jose Acevedo, & Brian Reith who were all ready to contribute in the big leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    I think Fowler brings enough to the table for me to overcome that mental block. I roll it around in my brain, and basically here's what I figure: we sign Ludwick for 2-3 years, and we still have Stubbs.
    I'd like to add Fowler, but if we are able to resign Ludwick, a lot of the urgency to acquire another OF is gone for me. I can wait for Billy H if they get a legit LF.

If we can't get Ludwick or a similiar LF, then I'd consider swapping Homer for Fowler. Otherwise, I'd rather keep the pitching intact, and use Stubbs as the stopgap in CF until Billy gets called up.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not really liking the idea of Bailey for Fowler. I think CF can be addressed for lesser players. If a Corcino/Stubbs/Lotzkar package could net Fowler, I'd be OK with it.
    Agreed. To trade Bailey for a half-season rental who will be worthless trade fodder once Hamilton arrives at the Show (probably by June), is short-sighted and reeks of "Doing something to keep the fans happy" mentality.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I noticed a while back that the Rox ranked 4th in the NL in pitching WAR last year. Got no idea how that anomaly formed, but maybe the organization believes it's real.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?