Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Dexter Fowler

Re: Dexter Fowler

CBS: Reds lost out on Revere, now setting their sights on Fowler...

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/da...ing-for-fowler

It should come as no surprise to hear that the Reds tried for Ben Revere before he was traded from the Twins to the Phillies. They did try, according to sources.

It should come as no surprise that the Reds have talked to the Rockies about Dexter Fowler. They have talked, sources say, although with what the Rockies have been asking for Fowler (middle-of-the-rotation pitching), it's not clear that a deal can get done.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

If the Reds could get Fowler without involving Bailey I would be ecstatic. I have to assume that Hamilton is untouchable as well as their last two #1 picks. I think Leake would be the centerpiece of the deal considering he has no place to go. If a young pitcher would need to be packaged I would prefer it to be Corcino considering the Reds would be without much of a backup option if Chapman struggles or a pitcher goes down to injury. Cingrani seems like he is almost to the level of being an ok option pitcher.

At this point I think Walt knows that going into the season with Stubbs at CF is unacceptable. I am glad to see them "rumored" but I think a move NEEDS to be made.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I don't really understand Walt wanting Revere more than Fowler. It must have to do with the glove, since Revere has had very strong defensive rankings, but as Dave Cameron pointed out in this article http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...or-ben-revere/, those defensive rankings are due to Revere playing a corner outfield spot. I agree with Cameron that Revere is likely not an elite defensive player and therefore, isn't likely worth the price the Phillies paid.

Fowler was very BABIP lucky in 2012, which produced an eye-popping .389 OBP. Either way, Fowler's high walk rates and good contact skills bode well for future .350+ OBP seasons. I like Fowler a lot, and with Span off the market, I would make a strong push for a Leake/Stubbs for Fowler trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I don't really understand Walt wanting Revere more than Fowler.
    I don't know that he did. Sounds like he was talking about Revere, but he's talked about and to a lot of guys. In fact it's possible Walt was content to let Revere go to Philly figuring it made him the top suitor for Fowler or Bourn or whomever else he might have designs on.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't know that he did. Sounds like he was talking about Revere, but he's talked about and to a lot of guys. In fact it's possible Walt was content to let Revere go to Philly figuring it made him the top suitor for Fowler or Bourn or whomever else he might have designs on.
    That would be a wise move. Offer Bourn a 1 year, $8MM deal. See if he takes it. In the meantime, offer up Leake and Stubbs for Fowler. When one shoe drops, pull the other offer.

If Bourn signs elsewhere, up the Fowler offer to include a non-top-5 prospect (Lotzkar?). See what happens then.
    Go BLUE!!!

Seems clear to me teams want Bailey, but Walt wants to trade other arms.

It may all come down to whether Homer will extend.

While I would rather have Upton, I've kind of resigned to the fact that they don't really appear to be pursuing him. Fowler would be my next target. I'm going to be very disapointed if they don't do something to get another quality obp guy at the top of the order.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You could be correct, and in fact, I hope you are correct. If the Reds can end this off-season with Ludwick, Bourne/Fowler, a solid lefty reliever and a decent backup infielder, Walt gets an A+ and he can keep on adding +s to that by extending Bailey and/or Latos to reasonable deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    You could be correct, and in fact, I hope you are correct. If the Reds can end this off-season with Ludwick, Bourne/Fowler, a solid lefty reliever and a decent backup infielder, Walt gets an A+ and he can keep on adding +s to that by extending Bailey and/or Latos to reasonable deals.
    Ludwick's at least 50/50 to stick in Cincinnati.
    Fowler looks like a distinct possibility.
    LH reliver-- Cingrani?
    Backup infielder-- Emmanuel Burriss

I'd like to see what Lance Berkman will make if Ludwick doesn't work out. I don't think he'll go for more than $8 million for two years. Lots of obp, very good power numbers, and he can play LF, IMO, adequately enough. Of course, with Berkman, they'd also need someone like Rolen as a 3B backup. Frazier could play everyday at either 3B or LF, and both old guys could play 100 games or so. (They'd also be a really solid bench bat between them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    LH reliver-- Cingrani?

I'd like to see what Lance Berkman will make if Ludwick doesn't work out. I don't think he'll go for more than $8 million for two years. Lots of obp, very good power numbers, and he can play LF, IMO, adequately enough. Of course, with Berkman, they'd also need someone like Rolen as a 3B backup. Frazier could play everyday at either 3B or LF, and both old guys could play 100 games or so. (They'd also be a really solid bench bat between them.)
    I don't know if I like converting Cingrani to the bullpen unless the Reds are sure that he won't be able to cut it as a big league starter. Of course, if the Reds are tapped out financially after signing Ludwick and factoring in Fowler, and have to move Cingrani to that slot to be able to afford the other two, I would be fine with it. I am sure Cingrani could be a solid reliever, but I would rather sign a proven, solid lefty reliever and leave Cingrani in AAA as starting pitching depth.

As for Burriss, I would really like for the Reds to add someone who isn't allergic to first base, rather than relying on Burriss.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    LH reliver-- Cingrani?

People here nearly crucified Gomes and Alonso for their LF defense? Do you REALLY think Berkman is a good idea? I think he'll go to a team to primarily DH and occasionally play 1B.

The Reds have also been linked to Alejandro De Aza and Skip Schumaker. I wouldn't be shocked to see Walt walk away from negotiations with the Rox if he thinks they are asking too much and instead get a one of those guys for a platoon with Stubbs.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Call me crazy, but I would trade Homer straight up for Fowler.

I think Bailey benefited from facing the Astros, Pirates and Cubs five times in his last seven starts, to give the appearance that he has turned a corner. He definitely progressed, but really just from a #5 starter to a #3 or 4 starter. I see him and Leake as interchangeable in terms of production in the coming years, with Leake being cheaper and under contol for more years. I think because of Homer's no-no, his trade value is higher, and the Reds should take advantage of that.

I also think that if the Reds do trade either Homer or Leake, they need to pick up some extra arms for rotation depth. Even if Chapman is a success in the rotation, they will likely need a few other starters throughout the season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Call me crazy, but I would trade Homer straight up for Fowler.

I think Bailey benefited from facing the Astros, Pirates and Cubs five times in his last seven starts, to give the appearance that he has turned a corner. He definitely progressed, but really just from a #5 starter to a #3 or 4 starter. I see him and Leake as interchangeable in terms of production in the coming years, with Leake being cheaper and under contol for more years. I think because of Homer's no-no, his trade value is higher, and the Reds should take advantage of that.

I also think that if the Reds do trade either Homer or Leake, they need to pick up some extra arms for rotation depth. Even if Chapman is a success in the rotation, they will likely need a few other starters throughout the season.
    I don't think you're crazy. I think that's a perfectly reasonable deal.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I wouldn't necessarily hate a Homer for Fowler trade, but the reason I like Homer so much more than Leake is upside. Homer frequently flashes his ace stuff and did so even more often towards the end of the year, and Leake looks like he is what he always be, which is a mid-rotation starter. I like Leake a lot. He does have value, but not as much as Homer.

Turn Off Ads?