Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denis Phipps and Kris Negron non-tendered; both resigned to minor league deals

Denis Phipps and Kris Negron non-tendered; both resigned to minor league deals

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ously-updated/

Reds non-tendered OF Denis Phipps and INF-OF Kristopher Negron.
    Two expendable players. Phipps has a little pop and enough range to handle center on a part-time basis, but he just isn’t good enough in any one area to carve out a career. The 26-year-old Negron is very versatile, but he’s posted OPSs of .607 and .628 in two years in Triple-A.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Denis Phipps and Kris Negron non-tendered

does that bring the 40-man roster down to 37? Go Walt! Fill those spots at the winter meetings!

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    does that bring the 40-man roster down to 37? Go Walt! Fill those spots at the winter meetings!
    38 I think. Adding the kids (Corcino, Y-Rod, etc.) made it 39 and signing Broxton made it 40.

I'm guessing the Reds will fill one spot prior to the Rule 5 draft. My guess is Scott Rolen.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I think Broxton occupies 2 spots on the roster. :O)

Re: Denis Phipps and Kris Negron non-tendered; Phipps resigned to minor league deal

Reds signed OF Denis Phipps to a minor league contract.
    Phipps, 27, appeared in eight games with the Reds last season as a September callup. He'll return on a non-guaranteed deal after being non-tendered.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Re: Denis Phipps and Kris Negron non-tendered; Phipps resigned to minor league deal

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Reds signed OF Denis Phipps to a minor league contract.
    Phipps, 27, appeared in eight games with the Reds last season as a September callup. He'll return on a non-guaranteed deal after being non-tendered.
    According to MLB Traderumors, Negron signed a minor league deal too.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Re: Denis Phipps and Kris Negron non-tendered; both resigned to minor league deals

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds Non-Tender Then Re-Sign Phipps & Negron
    By Mike Axisa [December 1 at 8:23am CST]
    The Reds non-tendered both Denis Phipps and Kris Negron prior to last night's deadline, reports MLB.com's Mark Sheldon. Both players then re-signed with the club on minor league contracts with invitations to Spring Training.

Re: Denis Phipps and Kris Negron non-tendered; both resigned to minor league deals

Removing the chaff is a good idea.

Perhaps Jocketty is just being extra-prepared as he enters the GM Meetings in Nashville. He would have done this earlier, IMO, if he were worried about the Rule V Draft, so this is done for one of two purposes:

1) Trades wherein he'd receive multiple players back already on the 40-man roster of other teams.
    2) Signing free agents.

Might that mean a CF and a LF are soon in the fold?

Nice. Good org guys, but not 40 man worthy.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Would that make them Rule V eligible?
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Wasn't yesterday the non-tender deadline? Perhaps he just waited until the deadline day to Matt the moves officially. I think other teams did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Removing the chaff is a good idea.

Perhaps Jocketty is just being extra-prepared as he enters the GM Meetings in Nashville. He would have done this earlier, IMO, if he were worried about the Rule V Draft, so this is done for one of two purposes:

1) Trades wherein he'd receive multiple players back already on the 40-man roster of other teams.
    2) Signing free agents.

Might that mean a CF and a LF are soon in the fold?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Would that make them Rule V eligible?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yes.
    Could definitely see Phipps taken in Rule V. Easy as defensive replacement 5th OF.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Can someone please explain to me what this means to the organization as a whole?

Does it give the Reds more roster spots? Sorry, I don't really understand all of these front office terms.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Can someone please explain to me what this means to the organization as a whole?

Does it give the Reds more roster spots? Sorry, I don't really understand all of these front office terms.
    Basically, they didn't offer them major league contracts for 2013, which allowed them to become free agents. Then they turned around and resigned them to Minor League deals, which took them off the 40 man roster. Yes, it gives them 2 extra spots on the 40 man roster.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Turn Off Ads?