Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ichiro?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Ichiro?

http://news.yahoo.com/ichiros-patien...3248--mlb.html

Ichiro's patience snaps with Yankees: report
    Reuters – 3 hrs ago.

Japanese outfielder Ichiro Suzuki has lost patience with the New York Yankees over a contract extension and has begun talking with other teams, his agent said on Friday. (snipped)
    He will never come to the Reds, and I don't think I'd want it to happen. But playing Devil's Advocate here...........who better to train Billy Hamilton to be a leadoff hitter and consummate professional?

I doubt he can play CF though.

It wouldn't work. But it might be interesting though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ichiro?

No chance it happens. Ichiro isn't coming to the midwest.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The thread title is misspelled. It should be Ichiro!
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Id be all about Ichiro for 1-2 years. Why would that not be a good option? He still put up very good numbers last year. He might be old, but he has showed hardly any signs of slowing down. He is a MUCH better option than some reclamation projects I've seen tossed around on this site.

-Matt

Isn't one who needs to use an interpreter to pass on more details really not someone you'd expect to be a teacher?

http://sportspressnw.com/2011/03/eng...cond-language/

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Isn't one who needs to use an interpreter to pass on more details really not someone you'd expect to be a teacher?

http://sportspressnw.com/2011/03/eng...cond-language/
    Ichiro! teaches through love and music, both are universal languages.

Ichiro! fire cool,
    Flight of the bird flowers hue,
    Ichiro! Teach,Be.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    No chance it happens. Ichiro isn't coming to the midwest.
    Says who? This isn't exactly Gothenburg, Neb., here.

I loathe Ichiro. Keep him far away.

One of my favorite players to watch. Truly unique. But I strongly doubt he'd come to Cincy. Could see the Cubs, Giants and the Mets making a run at him. Red Sox too.

Ichiro and Billy Hamilton would be the ultimate Felix and Oscar. Not sure what their lingua franca would be.

Just don't see it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    I loathe Ichiro. Keep him far away.
    May I ask why?

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    May I ask why?
    Honestly, no real logical reason. If he came up as a Red years ago, I'm sure I would have been a fan. However, he came up with the M's and I don't like slap hitters when they play for other ball clubs. Slap hitters make you feel like they're getting cheap hits and who doesn't get annoyed by that.

While he may have had the power to boost his slugging percentage in the past, the fact is that he didn't.

Baseball Reference lists Willie McGee and Kenny Lofton as two recent players that match up closely to him. Obviously, I didn't like them either.

That said, you'll also notice Ken Griffey Sr. matched up closely and I loved him. Difference being, Griffey started out as a Red. Much easier for me to appreciate that style of play if he's one of our own.

All because a player is good, doesn't mean you have to like them or their game.

When the Yanks made the deal to get him I honestly thought it was a brilliant move and could not understand why the Reds weren't players. If I'm not mistaken a big time player wasn't given up for him and he would have given Dusty a real leadoff hitter in CF so that he wouldn't have had to "think" about who should be penciled in there. You know CF=leadoff...
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    When the Yanks made the deal to get him I honestly thought it was a brilliant move and could not understand why the Reds weren't players.
    Because Ichiro gave the Mariners a list of teams he was interested in being traded to and he could have vetoed a trade to the Reds, and almost certainly would have.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Honestly, no real logical reason. If he came up as a Red years ago, I'm sure I would have been a fan. However, he came up with the M's and I don't like slap hitters when they play for other ball clubs. Slap hitters make you feel like they're getting cheap hits and who doesn't get annoyed by that.

While he may have had the power to boost his slugging percentage in the past, the fact is that he didn't.

Baseball Reference lists Willie McGee and Kenny Lofton as two recent players that match up closely to him. Obviously, I didn't like them either.

That said, you'll also notice Ken Griffey Sr. matched up closely and I loved him. Difference being, Griffey started out as a Red. Much easier for me to appreciate that style of play if he's one of our own.

All because a player is good, doesn't mean you have to like them or their game.
    I wish Stubbs had been a .300 hitting slap hitter.

Turn Off Ads?