Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 12/7

Birthdays: 12/7

Special All-Reds Edition!

Bill Bates (48) -Once raced a cheetah in a pregame exhibition (Randy Myers was supposed to, but backed out). He won when his hat flew off and the cheetah paused to attack the hat. Now in the oil business in Texas; still has his uniform and a champagne bottle from his great moment in the 1990 Series.

Johnny Bench (64) -In an attempt to find out something new about JB, I looked up his screen credits on IMDB.com. I knew about "The Baseball Bunch", of course, and I knew about his touching portrayal of a waiter on "the Partridge Family", but I was unaware that he appeared on an episode of "Mission Impossible" as "Captain of the Guards".

Alex Johnson (69) -Moody OF who was the first Angel to win a batting championship. I saw him hit an inside-the-park homer at Crosley. Currently runs the family trucking business in Detroit.

Bo Belinsky -Erstwhile playboy who dated a number of celebs, including Ann-Margaret, which ain't all bad. His on-field performance couldn't keep up with his off-field escapades, though, and he ended his career as a mop-up reliever with the Reds. Pitched the first no-hitter in Angels history in his fourth career start. In later life he became clean and sober and a born-again Christian. Died at age 64.

Deacon White -Star of the earliest days of baseball; first man to come to the plate in a National Association game. Though he was 28 when the National League began, he still played 15 years in the league. One fun note: Deacon truly and honestly believed that the earth was flat, and would argue with his teammates about it at some length.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 12/7

I was messing around on YouTube a few weeks ago and on one of the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts videos I found, Bench was one of the guests at the head table. I forget who they were roasting though.

I'll always remember his birthday, though, because its Pearl Harbor Day. I wonder if having a birthday on the same date as such an event ever causes any discomfort.

I wonder if having a birthday on the same date as such an event ever causes any discomfort.
    In case any of you were wondering, the only major league player born on 12/7/41 was someone named Ruperto Toppin, who appeaed extremely briefly for the A's in the early '60s.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Special All-Reds Edition!

Bill Bates (48) -Once raced a cheetah in a pregame exhibition (Randy Myers was supposed to, but backed out). He won when his hat flew off and the cheetah paused to attack the hat.

Cheetahs never win.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Johnny Bench (64) -In an attempt to find out something new about JB, I looked up his screen credits on IMDB.com. I knew about "The Baseball Bunch", of course, and I knew about his touching portrayal of a waiter on "the Partridge Family", but I was unaware that he appeared on an episode of "Mission Impossible" as "Captain of the Guards".
    Some Johnny Bench quotes:

"A catcher and his body are like the outlaw and his horse. He's got to ride that nag till it drops."

"Jimmy Connors plays two tennis matches and winds up with $850,000, and Muhammad Ali fights one bout and winds up with 5 million bucks. Me, I play one-hundred and ninety games, and I'm overpaid ($200,000 in 1975)!"

"They're (hitting slumps) like sleeping in a soft bed. Easy to get into and hard to get out of."

"He'll (Johnny Bench) come out to the mound and treat me like a two-year old, but so help me, I like it." - Jim Maloney

Turn Off Ads?