Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Span, Pagan, Victorino, Upton...

Span, Pagan, Victorino, Upton...

Fascinating recent tidbits just posted on MLBTR:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...aves-reds.html

The Diamondbacks want Andrelton Simmons from the Braves in a Justin Upton trade, reports Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Earlier this month we heard the Rangers tried to acquire Simmons so they could flip him to Arizona for Upton.

Meanwhile, Dave O'Brien of The Atlanta Journal Constitution says (on Twitter) the Braves have interest in free agent outfielders like Ryan Ludwick, Shane Victorino, and Cody Ross even after signing B.J. Upton.

Both the Braves and Reds are trying to acquire a leadoff hitting left fielder, reports ESPN's Jim Bowden (on Twitter). Both teams had interest in Denard Span before he was traded to the Nationals.

The Reds have had conversations with the representatives for Victorino and Angel Pagan, GM Walt Jocketty confirmed to John Fay of The Cincinnati Enquirer. "Nothing formal though," added the GM, who confirmed speaking with Ludwick's agent as recently as last week.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Span, Pagan, Victorino, Upton...

It sounds like there will be one or more odd men left out once the bigger LTC are given out for these outfielders. I'm content to let some of the dust settle on a few deals then reassess.

I'm liking seeing Jockety talking to Pagan and Victorino while still talking with Ludwick.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

The deeper we get into the offseason, the more I think the Reds should just sign a guy like Ludwick and let Phillips lead off until Hamilton is ready. There is not a whole lot more that can be done to improve the pitching staff, realistically. But, even to deal Leake in a rash trade trade for a "leadoff hitter" could really burn the Reds if only a couple of injuries surface in 2013. The health of this rotation in 2012 was historic. It will not happen again.

As far as free agents, any deal with a guy like Pagan or Victorino could quickly become an albatross, considering the terms I have been hearing about those guys. As early as mid-season 2013, either one of these guys could be viewed as blocking Hamilton's development if they were to be signed. I can't see either of them as corner outfielders for this team for very long. Let someone else overpay for them. Phillips is a premier player. He may have struggled leading off in 2012, but he was excellent for a long stretch of 2011. The struggle last year was happenstance. He would be fine leading off until Hamilton is ready to take over centerfield. I have ALWAYS felt a much bigger problem was stacking the middle of the order behind Joey than the table setting.

Ludwick seems to want to return. I would love to see what this offense could do with a healthy Joey Votto hitting in front of Ludwick. Give him a two year deal for a little more than what Gomes got, because otherwise would be an insult to a better player. But, I truly believe such a deal with Ludwick would be all this team needs to do to prepare for 2013, and much easier to achieve than almost any other scenario I have seen discussed recently. I would be thrilled if this is the only move that Walt made the remainder of the offseason.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 12-02-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It sounds like there will be one or more odd men left out once the bigger LTC are given out for these outfielders. I'm content to let some of the dust settle on a few deals then reassess.
    I've been thinking the exact same thing. With so many guys available, outfield seems like it could leave us a Madson at the end. I think Walt's gonna wait around and try to be someone's last resort.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Shane Victorino is in serious talks with the Cleveland Indians

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...medium=twitter

As mentioned in my Shin-Soo Choo thread, the Indians are in desperate need of outfield stability. I am not sure if Victorino would provided that, but it would be a good pick up for them in the short term.

It also is one less option for the Reds if a deal is signed.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Jon Heyman on Twitter
    Victorino has several 3 year offers and at least 1 for 4. many good options.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Pagan reups with the Giants. 4 years 40 million.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...gel-pagan.html

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Pagan stays in San Fran for 4/$40m, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Pagan stays in San Fran for 4/$40m, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown.
    That is like so one minute ago.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    That is like so one minute ago.
    But I do it with style.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Pagan = 4/$40M = Giants

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Seems like the market is overpaying again.

Makes me want the Reds to hold tight and not do anything stupid out of desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    But I do it with style.
    So true

I can't help but think Ludwick will end up getting more money than we think.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I can't help but think Ludwick will end up getting more money than we think.
    The outfield FA market is making for some serious overpay. I tend to think it's trade or stand pat. Oakland is apparently shopping Willingham for pitching; that's still the move that makes the most sense to me.

Turn Off Ads?