Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The year in review/what have we learned thread.

The year in review/what have we learned thread.

On a whole, it was a great year in baseball. I want to know what everyone learned or observed this season. Here's what I learned:

1. Just like that ugly monstrocity in centerfield in Miami, the Marlins continue to have a joke of an ownership.

2. Melky Cabrera still wants to thank all of the fans.

3. Bryce Harper obviously doesn't like clown questions.

4. Mike Trout is rather studly.

5. Joey Votto solidified himself as the best pure hitter in baseball, even with limited play.

6. We can argue whether or not a Triple Crown is worthy of MVP status but it was still very impressive and fun to watch a player achieve something that hasn't happened since the 1960's.

7. Chris Carpenter still can't explain some things to his son.

8. Darwin Barney "evolved" into one of the best defensive players in the game.

9. Apparently, the infield fly rule applies if you try to catch a ball half way in the outfield.

10. Billy Beane pulls another great team out of his you know what.

11. The collapse of the Red Sox still makes me smile.

12. The Cubs are still an epic fail of a franchise.

13. Arguing whose better between Chapman and Kimbrel is like arguing that a Lamborghini is better than a Ferrari.... kind of pointless. Both are gods.

14. Ryan Ludwick proves that he still had something in the tank.

15. I will miss you, Houston Astros. Have fun in the AL West.

16. Never ever, for the love of god, count out the Giants.

17. The Ralley Squirrel must have died.

18. Matt Holliday is still underrated league wide.

19. Jeter still has a lot to offer the Yankees.

20. Teddy Roosevelt finally won a race!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The year in review/what have we learned thread.

21. Bobby Valentine was not a good choice to manage in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    21. Bobby Valentine was not a good choice to manage in Boston.
    haha good call. That picture always makes me laugh.

For a Level Playing Field

* Trying to be heard by howling like a coyote in heat is dumb and probably comes across to other fans as less than intelligent (even to Cubs fans).

* I'd almost have to put the club from St. Louis in that Giants category (see 16 above).

* The Washington Nationals collapsed (big time) in the last game/inning after a fantastic regular season. They should have something to play for in 2013.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

9) Yes, the infield fly rule can apply halfway in the outfield.

It will be debated, but I think they got it right.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Spending big money doesn't equal big success (see the Angels, Red Sox and Phillies).

There are two organizations in Florida. One is arguably the best run in baseball. The other is the worst run in baseball. Neither can draw fans.

The Indians like to start fast and then burn in the summer, just like the Reds used to.

The Braves are resilient, putting together a great regular season a year after a horrid collapse.

Good pitching trumps all. Reds finally got this.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    There are two organizations in Florida. One is arguably the best run in baseball. The other is the worst run in baseball. Neither can draw fans.
    Since 1983, only the Yankees have won more World Series titles than the Florida Marlins...

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Since 1983, only the Yankees have won more World Series titles than the Florida Marlins...
    Valid point... which of course will get a counterpoint. Since 1983, if one or two teams had to be dropped from MLB, who should be nixed?

And no... we cannot say the Cardinals or the Cubs (that is called hatred and not a logical business decision).

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Valid point... which of course will get a counterpoint. Since 1983, if one or two teams had to be dropped from MLB, who should be nixed?

And no... we cannot say the Cardinals or the Cubs (that is called hatred and not a logical business decision).
    Miami just feels like an American league city to me.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

The playoffs are a crapshoot.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Prince Fielder's vegan diet is still not working. In other news, some claim to have heard him cry when Hostess went under.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

The Baltimore Orioles are finally back to being a respectable and well run franchise and I hope to see them in the playoffs again next year. Good job O's!

I totally agree with one of the above mentioned statements...the playoffs really are a total crapshoot.

The Strikeout for Slices & Scoops promotion needs to continue for a LONG time (I was there like six times for that last year).

The Reds apparently only make the playoffs in years where I get to attend season ticket holder team photo day on the field (2010, 2012). Who's taking me next season??! LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    lol which shows how much of a joke the playoff setup actually is.

Until the playoffs are revised again, there will be two teams every year that will experience what we did in 1999.

Turn Off Ads?