Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 1/2

Birthdays: 1/2

Reds:

Dave Sappelt (25) -His story has yet to be written.

Rick Greene (41) -His major league career consisted of 5.2 innings with the 1999 Reds.

Royce Clayton (42) -Will he get an Oscar nomination for his touching portrayal of Miguel Tejada in Moneyball???

Sonny Ruberto (66) -His major league career was very short, but as I recall he was with the Reds AAA farm team for a good while. The Corky Miller of his era.

Others:

David Cone (49) -Pitched his perfect game for the Yankees on Yogi Berra Day with Berra and Don Larsen watching. Holds an obscure record for most seasons between 20-win seasons.

Edgar Martinez (49) -Only five players have awards named after them; the award for best DH is named after Edgar. He is, by all accounts, a class act, and I'd be fine with him making it into the HOF.

Bill Madlock (61) -First player to win multiple batting titles with two different teams (I'm not sure I'm phrasing that clearly; what I mean is that he won more than one as a Cub and more than one as a Pirate). Hasn't gotten much HOF traction, possibly as a result of his reputation as being focused on his own stats rather than team goals.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 1/2

Madlock had great bat skills. Finished his career with more BBs than Ks.
    Won a batting title with the Cubs in 1976 (beating out the Reds' Ken Griffey) and was TRADED ipso facto for an old-30 yr Bobby Murcer. (Way to go, Cubbies!)
    After two season with the Giants, they traded him also.
    Definitely not a "clubhouse" guy. "Mad Dog" was the nickname.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I feel a sudden jolt of oldness knowing Edgar is now 49
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I feel a sudden jolt of oldness knowing Edgar is now 49
    Yep. Me too. I also felt old when Keith Brown threw out the first pitch at a game in 2010 as part of the 20 year World Series celebration, (what, Tim Birtsas was busy?) and he was all gray-haired and fat. I remember him as a farmhand.

Greg Swindell turns 48 today (I have to double-check my math now that it's 2013). 1992 was his only year as a Red, but it was a good 'un...

I'll also mention that Edgar Martinez had a higher career OBP than Stan Musial and a higher career SLG than Willie McCovey. Now that's a hitter...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?