Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Giancarlo Stanton

Re: Giancarlo Stanton

I believe it would take at least a Latos type offer,and he seems worth it.I'm buying.
    May the Lord bless

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

As a Marlins fan first and knowing the Reds system, I believe it would have to be a Latos-type deal at least. It would be more of a Texieria-type deal to get it done.

Chapman, Hamilton, and if they think he could play second, Didi. If I was the Marlins front office I wouldn't answer Walt's calls, texts or emails until those three names were on the table.

There's literally no chance the Marlins trade Stanton. Not now, anyways. I read a report somewhere that said Selig probably wouldn't even allow it if they tried. You can only alienate your fans so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Cabrera's WAR was 5.6 when he was traded. Stanton's is 5.8. The difference, though, is Chapman put up nearly 3.5 WAR in less than 80 innings. Andrew Miller had pitched 74 MLB innings with a 5.72 ERA at the time he was traded.
    Hence the "Chapman is more valuable than Miller"......

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Chapman, Hamilton, and if they think he could play second, Didi. If I was the Marlins front office I wouldn't answer Walt's calls, texts or emails until those three names were on the table.
    I'm not discounting the insight, here.... but from a Reds' perspective, would I be entirely too off base if I suggested that retaining Hamilton would be a key to any trade acquiring Stanton?

My thinking is: Hamilton is not a guarantee to be an everyday MLB CF, because his bat is just too big a question. But by adding Stanton to the line-up, you significantly lower the floor for Hamilton to be a useful piece versus if you have Ludwick (or Fowler, or somebody else who lacks Stanton's production). He can be a pure slap-hitting, walk-taking lead-off man, who nominally out-produces Stubbs... but if we have Phillips/Votto/Stanton/Bruce behind him, who the hell cares? Right?

It's when you put together a line-up with a Phillips or Fowler (or Frazier) out of position that you suddenly need Hamilton to be the superstar that everybody's already making him out to be. But he isn't that. Yet.

If there's a way to get Stanton, then you're also greatly enhancing the chances of Hamilton becoming a useful peice, IMO. Even if he just becomes Stubbs with OBP and SLG inverted, I'll take it, and I'll pay Chapman-plus-more to get him. Just as long as the "more" isn't Hamilton. Getting Stanton helps maximize Hamilton, so you have to have them both to make that work.

Rick

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    There's literally no chance the Marlins trade Stanton. Not now, anyways. I read a report somewhere that said Selig probably wouldn't even allow it if they tried. You can only alienate your fans so much.
    Stanton might have something to say about that. Based on his tweets, he's extremely ticked by the Marlins management trading all the key pieces away and him being stuck on what is sure to be a bottomdweller. I would think if a viable trade offer were made (Herschel Walker-type haul), that Selig would have no problem with it. And if Selig intervened and shut it down, I bet Stanton would get the players union involved and his own attorneys and agent.

Back to the trade.......more thoughts......

1. I've stated many times on other threads that going to the ballpark or even watching on TV..........it's like electricity in the air when Chapman comes in to close a ballgame, wondering if you're going to see the radar gun flash 101 or 102 or even higher. And then possibly watching him K the side and the enjoyment of watching the faces of cluelessness of the opposing batters. Simply put, Chapman is fun. And he puts butts in the seats and viewers on TV.

2. Billy Hamilton has that same potential as Chapman. If he can hit major league pitching, get on base at a high clip, and wreak havoc on the basepaths, the fans will come out by tickets or TV. Either way it helps the team revenue, either by ticket sales/concession sales or a future new TV package. I am looking forward to Billy's first major league stolen base. And if he puts on a show and steals 80 to 100+ bases..........you know we'll all be glued to it.

3. I'm the one constantly throwing out Stanton's name and even starting threads about acquiring him. But I tend to agree with Brutus that while he is really good, young, and under control for awhile........he isn't great yet. If the Reds offered Bailey, Corcino or Cingrani, Stephenson, and Mez, and even threw in Stubbs.........I think that would be a nice haul for the Marlins. A #3 major league starting pitcher who is starting to really impress, and then a choice of the Reds #2 or #3 top prospect which are triple A pitchers (Cingrani/Corcino), a former #1 pick and top 5 prospect in Stephenson, and then another former #1 pick in Mez who has major league experience but probably needs to play everyday. I think an offer like that is overpayment, but a serious haul that most teams would be crazy to turn down. And the positive for the Reds is it doesn't involve Hamilton or Chapman, and they get to keep one of either Cingrani or Corcino for the future. I'm down on Mez and think he is a catching version of Stubbs. While I'm guilty of proposing it, I think it's overpayment. Frankly I think Bailey, Corcino, and Mez would be fair enough.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    . I'm down on Mez and think he is a catching version of Stubbs.
    There is nothing in their minor league performances which suggest that they are alike in anyway.

Subbs as always had severe contact issues in every league he's been in.

Mez has had great OB skills even when he wasn't hitting in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Bud should have punished them BEFORE the last deal. Now he's punishing Stanton by making him play on a glorified AAA team. If that's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    There is nothing in their minor league performances which suggest that they are alike in anyway.

Subbs as always had severe contact issues in every league he's been in.

Mez has had great OB skills even when he wasn't hitting in the minors.
    Mez had one good year in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Hence the "Chapman is more valuable than Miller"......

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    I know that, but I was simply pointing out that the difference in value was a lot different than the minimal edge Stanton had over Cabrera in value.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I know that, but I was simply pointing out that the difference in value was a lot different than the minimal edge Stanton had over Cabrera in value.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    3. I'm the one constantly throwing out Stanton's name and even starting threads about acquiring him. But I tend to agree with Brutus that while he is really good, young, and under control for awhile........he isn't great yet. If the Reds offered Bailey, Corcino or Cingrani, Stephenson, and Mez, and even threw in Stubbs.
    I'm guessing the Marlins would only want prospects or major leaguers making the minimum.. I just doubt they have any interest whatsoever in Bailey or Stubbs .. The Marlins would have to flip them for more prospects. That's what the Marlins did with Escobar. Got him from Toronto, and then flipped him for a prospect.

I even think Chapman's salary would be a sticking point.

They'd be interested in Mez, Hamilton and the Reds' minor league pitching prospects is my guess.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...o-stanton.html

Here we go again with this rumor back out there.

I'm sure they'd want Hamilton and others.

I honestly think Walt and Bob are looking at Billy as an attendance-boosting novelty with his speed and stolen bases. No way in h-e-double hockeysticks do I think if the Marlins would take a reasonable deal that included Billy, that they would do it. I think they are that in love with Hamilton.

Plus, they're already locked in to pay Ludwick.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 12-30-2012 at 12:38 PM.

I'd offer Hamilton and Chapman, move Bruce to CF full-time (assuming he can handle it defensively), and roll with that.

I don't think they would hesitate for a second to trade Hamilton for Stanton. I'd trade Hamilton, Stephenson and Cingrani right now. (Our #1, #2, and #3)

He's that good. And I am not one to trade prospects.

Turn Off Ads?