Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Giancarlo Stanton

Re: Giancarlo Stanton

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Marlins are not necessarily strip mining here. They have offloaded big contracts and can now take on salary. My guess is that Selig has pretty much told Lorie to at least make an effort to appear to field a passable squad.
    Again, they get three near ready building blocks and a 4th lower level guy with a big potential, that isn't strip mining, that's rebuilding the team. If they don't get that, they keep Stanton. Chapman is too expensive too soon and doesn't have enough years of control left. They'd rather have package of multiple answers as opposed to one guy IMO.

BTW, I don't think the Marlins are Houston bad. I think they'll have a better record than the Pirates, Cubs and Mets.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Again, they get three near ready building blocks and a 4th lower level guy with a big potential, that isn't strip mining, that's rebuilding the team. If they don't get that, they keep Stanton. Chapman is too expensive too soon and doesn't have enough years of control left. They'd rather have package of multiple answers as opposed to one guy IMO.
    I happen to agree. But you never know with that franchise. If that owner has decided he wants star-quality Cuban talent...

Let's not make the mistake of assuming the Marlins course of action will be logical...

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

They have next to nothing payroll now. How in the world does taking on Chapman's contract hurt them? Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    They have next to nothing payroll now. How in the world does taking on Chapman's contract hurt them? Makes no sense.
    In reality it probably wouldn't. They just don't want to take on payroll.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

MLBTR is reporting that the Mariners and Phillies have both inquired about Stanton but that neither have what it takes in prospects to get a deal done.

They do say that Stanton most likely won't sign a long term contract and that the Marlins will deal him before arbitration and free agency kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Let's not make the mistake of assuming the Marlins course of action will be logical...
    The pattern in MLB has been that the actual deals take a lot less than is surmised on RZ. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't how it plays out for the Marlins. However, it is probably still more than the Reds are willing and able to pay.
    Last edited by traderumor; 01-01-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Marlins are not necessarily strip mining here. They have offloaded big contracts and can now take on salary. My guess is that Selig has pretty much told Lorie to at least make an effort to appear to field a passable squad.
    I guess there's been nothing done since Selig took over to convince me that he cares if teams appear competitive or not. He sure didn't seem to care about that when Lindner/Allen were running the team.

There was that recent reform introduced where revenue sharing was tied to the payroll (If you spend too little, you lose revenue sharing). Not sure when that takes effect, but I imagine the Marlins will spend the bare minimum to meet that requirement.

Look at what Loria did to the Expos..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'm hearing rumors of a Cards-Marlins deal, Stanton for Shelby Miller straight up.

JUST KIDDING.

The point of that little joke is in response to what traderumor just said. I always seem to get mad when Jocketty is pursuing someone in trade, and it seems like the other team wants the world from the Reds. Then a trade goes down with another team for alot less than they wanted from the Reds. It never seems to fail.

We'll probably hear a trade in the next few months where Stanton goes for less than the Reds would have offered. And Redszone will go nuts.

My hope is that Stanton does not get traded in the next 7 months. But come next offseason, the Reds could be in a position to do something huge:

Reds could offer 3 of Corcino/Cingrani/Leake/Stephenson/Travieso + Ludwick. Or 2 of those pitchers + Ludwick and any hitting prospect in the organization outside of Billy Hamilton. Either way, Reds would still have their starting 8 set for the next 2-3 years and their starting 5 rotation set for that time frame as well. After 2015, there will be a lot of uncertainty (Phillips, Stanton, + 2 of the SP's contracts coming up) but when is that not true 3 years out?

CF Hamilton
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    LF Stanton
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    C Mesoraco
    SS Cozart

SP Cueto
    SP Latos
    SP Bailey
    SP Chapman
    SP whoever is left from Leake/Cingrani/Corcino/Stephenson

SU Marshall
    CL Broxton

for 2014-2015. Still have some prospects left like the 2012 draftees and one of the above pitchers left.

Reds could be in a position to go back-to-back-to-back. Who cares what happens after 2015 if they can do that?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm hearing rumors of a Cards-Marlins deal, Stanton for Shelby Miller straight up.

JUST KIDDING.

The point of that little joke is in response to what traderumor just said. I always seem to get mad when Jocketty is pursuing someone in trade, and it seems like the other team wants the world from the Reds. Then a trade goes down with another team for alot less than they wanted from the Reds. It never seems to fail.

We'll probably hear a trade in the next few months where Stanton goes for less than the Reds would have offered. And Redszone will go nuts.
    I think RZ proposals are often fair from a talent standpoint, but there are the intangibles going into a deal that create variables we are not privy to. Most of the variable here that we know of is the motivation level of the Marlins to deal Stanton. Right now, that probably makes the top 3 prospects, a starting major leaguer and a bench player/reliever the price. Wait it out 'til the trade deadline, and the price probably goes down as the Marlins are more motivated. Still, even then, it probably only drops down to keeping one of your prospects, which I would imagine will be the going price next offseason as well.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?