Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting thing happened this morning......

Interesting thing happened this morning......

Went to a little restaurant this morning, Pit Stop Barbecue, here in Brownsburg that serves a very nice Sunday brunch buffet. Matt was wearing a Reds sweatshirt and he and Annette were at the buffet, getting their food and a short stocky man who was making omelets and bussing tables asked Annette, "How'd he get to be a Reds fan?" She pointed at me and said, "Thats all him." I told the man that I had grown up in Huntington, WV and followed the Big Red Machine as a kid. He replied that he had grown up in Cincinnati and that his brother had played for the Reds at one time. I replied, "Yeah, who's your brother?" He looked me straight in the eye and calculatingly said, "Pete Rose." I looked at him and my jaw almost hit the floor. He stuck out his hand and said, "Dave Rose, nice to meet you." He looked exactly like Pete, and had all the mannerisms. We went on to talk about Pete, what he was doing and such.

Dave said that he was into small car racing and worked as a cook at Pit Stop to make ends meet. He said that he had moved to the area 5 years ago to be closer to the racing scene. Said that he had cooked at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and then moved out to Brownsburg. Blue collar, hard working, friendly, confident, and with that unmistakable "edge" that shouts "Rose." Very nice guy. What an interesting Sunday morning!
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 12-02-2012 at 01:15 PM.

2. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (07-27-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Interesting thing happened this morning......

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Went to a little restaurant this morning, Pit Stop Barbecue, here in Brownsburg that serves a very nice Sunday brunch buffet. Matt was wearing a Reds sweatshirt and he and Annette were at the buffet, getting their food and a short stocky man who was making omelets and bussing tables asked Annette, "How'd he get to be a Reds fan?" She pointed at me and said, "Thats all him." I told the man that I had grown up in Huntington, WV and followed the Big Red Machine as a kid. He replied that he had grown up in Cincinnati and that his brother had played for the Reds at one time. I replied, "Yeah, who's your brother?" He looked me straight in the eye and calculatingly said, "Pete Rose." I looked at him and my jaw almost hit the floor. He stuck out his hand and said, "Dave Rose, nice to meet you." He looked exactly like Pete, and had all the mannerisms. We went on to talk about Pete, what he was doing and such.

Dave said that he was into small car racing and worked as a cook at Pit Stop to make ends meet. He said that he had moved to the area 5 years ago to be closer to the racing scene. Said that he had cooked at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and then moved out to Brownsburg. Blue collar, hard working, friendly, confident, and with that unmistakable "edge" that shouts "Rose." Very nice guy. What an interesting Sunday morning!
    My GF in HS introduced me to him once... he was very excited to introduce us to Pete's brother, we however were not. he had a Keith Hernandez mustache too

At an autograph session in the Indy area, Dave said this:

"I don't have one picture of Pete in my house; I used to sleep with him; I know what he looks like," said younger brother Dave Rose.

Dave, 63, has lived in Speedway for four years. ...

A Rose is a rose is a rose.......

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

he had a Keith Hernandez mustache too[/QUOTE]Attachment 6366
    Stick to your guns.

Awesome story, Randy. Thanks for sharing.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Dave Rose I believe played in the minors with the Angels.

Years ago I wanna say around 1992 at one of the BRM autograph shows in Dayton, there was a guy that was a couple rows over in one of the many long, long lines that you had to think was a Rose. He looked alot like Pete and had alot of the same mannerisms. I thought it was weird that Pete's brother wasnt given behind the scenes access as opposed to waiting in the incredibly long lines. A couple people I got to know in line though did confirm he was Pete' brother.

Next time I am in Brownsburg I may stop by that place.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

The food is pretty good. Barbecue is OK, but I'm coming from Carolina. If you ever get a chance to do the brunch, it's good.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

It seems to me that Dave Rose was part of the Big Red Machine basketball team that played during the off seasons following the 1970 and 1971 baseball seasons. Also on that team were Pete Rose and Bobby Tolan. Anyone remember who else played with them?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Have you liked this page on Facebook yet?

Great story. Thanks retelling it to us. I like reading those kinds of stories and how you meet famous or semi famous people.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

That's a great story Randy. Had no idea we were so close to greatness. Or close to someone who's close to greatness as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

An old story about Dave (he ran Pete's restaurant):

Dave had a chance to be like Pete once, but a motorcycle accident stopped that. He was in the Reds` farm system for two years before the accident severely injured his right side and ended his playing career. He immediately rebounded and headed to Florida`s Hillsborough County, where he worked as a paramedic from 1969 to 1978.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/199...hair-reporters

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Have you liked this page on Facebook yet?
    Of course.

He used hang out at the Delhi House, where he was just one among many people with the same mannerisms and speech. Put the Rose brothers in a crowd with a bunch of 65-70 year old guys from Delhi and Price Hill, you won't be able to tell who's talking.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?