Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I will be sick if the Reds trade Hamilton

I will be sick if the Reds trade Hamilton

At least before we get a chance to see him in Cincinnati. He IS the future at CF. A guy who is almost a lock to steal a bag when he gets on.

I know speed isn't everything, but dude is REALLY FAST!

I just think it'd be kinda neat to have the fastest throwing pitcher and the fastest runner on the same team. Combine that with the Living Legend Votto and a sick starting rotation and it'd be a great time in Cincy.

He seems to be a name being tossed around for a trade by seemingly everyone on this board.

It saddens me to see so many people not even want to see what he can do in a Reds uniform.

Reminds me a lot of my days on reds.com (puke) when Chapman was in AAA. Soooo many people wanted to trade him before he even came up.

All I'm saying is you don't find guys like Hamilton every day. Special kind of speed and I'd love to see him be a part of the starting lineup.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I will be sick if the Reds trade Hamilton

Believe me, I want to see Hamilton in a Reds jersey but I have to admit, watching Stanton mash 40 HRs for the Reds would take the sting away

Hamilton is far from a sure thing. We don't know if he will ever be able to hit major league pitching. He still K's a lot. As far as prospect rankings come, even with all the publicity that he has got, you would think he is the best prosect in the game. Which he is not. I would trade a prospect who has not proven anything at the MLB level for a proven MLB player any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    At least before we get a chance to see him in Cincinnati. He IS the future at CF. A guy who is almost a lock to steal a bag when he gets on.

I know speed isn't everything, but dude is REALLY FAST!

I just think it'd be kinda neat to have the fastest throwing pitcher and the fastest runner on the same team. Combine that with the Living Legend Votto and a sick starting rotation and it'd be a great time in Cincy.

He seems to be a name being tossed around for a trade by seemingly everyone on this board.

It saddens me to see so many people not even want to see what he can do in a Reds uniform.

Reminds me a lot of my days on reds.com (puke) when Chapman was in AAA. Soooo many people wanted to trade him before he even came up.

All I'm saying is you don't find guys like Hamilton every day. Special kind of speed and I'd love to see him be a part of the starting lineup.
    I like Hamilton, and I think he will be a good player. I am very excited to see him play for the reds. But if Walt can use him to get someone like Stanton, I see it as a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
    Hamilton is far from a sure thing. We don't know if he will ever be able to hit major league pitching. He still K's a lot. As far as prospect rankings come, even with all the publicity that he has got, you would think he is the best prosect in the game. Which he is not. I would trade a prospect who has not proven anything at the MLB level for a proven MLB player any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    You certainly make some valid points but I think you may be a little misunderstood on prospect rankings. They are not necessarily ranked based on ceiling or likelihood of success or failure. According to mlb.com, he is the 14th ranked prospect. There are several things keeping Hamilton from being a higher regarded prospect:

-He's a non-catching position player. These are the two positions in the highest demand and toughest to find good ones. Shortstops are highly prized as well, but even when he was a SS, there were doubts of his ability to stick there

-He's 22 years old and still widely considered a year away from MLB. There are 4 prospects the same age or older than Hamilton ahead of him: 3 pitchers and a catcher. All of them are projected to be MLB ready in 2013

-He's raw. He started switch hitting when he was drafted at 18, so he's still learning to hit from the side of the plate that a majority of your ABs will come from as a switch hitter.

So, he is very highly regarded, however, not higher than he is for the above reasons

if the player in return involves stanton Id trade him w/ no hesitation. Theres like a <1% chance he gets traded so dont sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    You certainly make some valid points but I think you may be a little misunderstood on prospect rankings. They are not necessarily ranked based on ceiling or likelihood of success or failure. According to mlb.com, he is the 14th ranked prospect. There are several things keeping Hamilton from being a higher regarded prospect:

-He's a non-catching position player. These are the two positions in the highest demand and toughest to find good ones. Shortstops are highly prized as well, but even when he was a SS, there were doubts of his ability to stick there

-He's 22 years old and still widely considered a year away from MLB. There are 4 prospects the same age or older than Hamilton ahead of him: 3 pitchers and a catcher. All of them are projected to be MLB ready in 2013

-He's raw. He started switch hitting when he was drafted at 18, so he's still learning to hit from the side of the plate that a majority of your ABs will come from as a switch hitter.

So, he is very highly regarded, however, not higher than he is for the above reasons
    The rankings favor pitchers, catchers and shortstops. He is now a CF but they mention nothing about him playing CF in AZL and still have him listed as a SS. So by that process he should fall in the early 2013 rankings, personally.

Hamilton K'd 20.2% of his ABs in AA last year. When Bruce was in AA his was 27%. Hamilton knows how to take a walk, has gotten on base at every level he's played at, switch hits and is almost guaranteed to be better than Stubbs when he gets up here. He's already gathered a ton of media attention, which will sell tickets. Not to mentioned he won't cost as much as some of the names thrown around here. The Reds only need a temporary solution in CF until he arrives and should focus on getting a clean up hitter who can play LF in order to move Phillips move in front of Joey in the batting order for 2014.

The focus should be on constructing a long term contender. Right now our biggest weakness if CF and the leadoff spot. We have one of the hottest prospects in baseball almost ready to come up who can fill both needs. I don't understand everyone suggesting trade ideas that you would do if you thought 2013 is a make or break season. Most everyone on the team is locked up, we have a MVP candidate at first, one of.the best second basemen in the game, a rookie of the year calibre SS, and an All-Star right fielder, not to mention an amazing and young rotation one of the best bullpens in baseball. What's the rush to trade off our hottest prospect? If we trade anything it should he the young pitching were stocking up in the minors, and is even hesitate to do that.
    Last edited by joshua; 12-03-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Okay in AA he struck out 20.2% of the time, but Stubbs struck out 19.8% of the time in AA. The only time Stubbs has been above 25% is in MLB. Look I am not saying Stubbs is good, and I am also not saying that Hamilton can't be good. All I am saying is he is an unknown quantity. I would much rather pay for a leadoff type and trade Hamilton for a 4-hole hitter because they are more expensive on the open market.

My point was that you can't take strikeout rates too seriously in the minors, especially with a guy who was pressing to get on base to break the stolen base record. OBP is much more important, and Hamilton has never not gotten on base.

Cingrani, Stephenson and Corcino are also unknowns. Should we be trading al of them for a major leaguer? The biggest concern about Hamilton from scouts is whether or not he adjusts to CF fast enough to keep on pace to reach the majors. He's a hot prospect, one of the top in baseball, just like Homer and Bruce. The Reds have been doing very well bringing guys up and I think Hamilton is going to be a stud. Trading him now for a more expensive player with less years on his contract who's already hit his prime or has a lower ceiling wouldnt be a smart move in my book. This club hasn't had a leadoff hitter since the 90's, we finally have one on the fuel so we should deal him right before he reaches Cincinnati?

My whole point to all these trade discussions is everyone makes Hamilton sound like a sure thing. They want to trade Cingrani, Corcinco and all of these other prospects but keep Hamilton. If there is one thing our organization should protect is our pitching. I agree with you that if Hamilton is made available then all of our prospects should be available but I just think that Hamilton should be more expendable than our pitching prospects. But that's just me.

Because we have a surplus of pitching right now and only one legit leadoff CF prospect over the last 20 years.

Turn Off Ads?