Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rich Harden & Brandon Webb

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rich Harden & Brandon Webb

Both are going to try to pitch in 2013. Any interest in taking a minor league flier on either of them?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...h-in-2013.html

Re: Rich Harden & Brandon Webb

Minor league flier? Sure. Any confidence in anything coming out of it? Nope. Shoulder problems are usually a career killer, especially after you've been fighting it for 4/5 years.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    If Webb gets a minor league contract, I would put money on it that it's with the Reds.

Wouldn't mind having both as depth. These are the guys you catch lightning in a bottle with, and the more of them you get, better chance you have of catching lightning.

Plus a Louisville rotation of...

Cingrani
    Corcino
    Harden
    Webb
    Redmond

Might win a ML title, couldn't hurt to throw them a bone.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    If Webb gets a minor league contract, I would put money on it that it's with the Reds.

Wouldn't mind having both as depth. These are the guys you catch lightning in a bottle with, and the more of them you get, better chance you have of catching lightning.

Plus a Louisville rotation of...

Cingrani
    Corcino
    Harden
    Webb
    Redmond

Might win a ML title, couldn't hurt to throw them a bone.
    As a fan base we have to get out of this "lightning in a bottle" mentality. That's Jim Bowden's long term influence at work. How about bringing in as many quality guys as we can find instead of wasting resources on long shot reclamation projects?
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 12-03-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    As a fan base we have to get out of this "lightning in a bottle" mentality. That's Jim Bowden's long term influence at work. How about bringing in ass many quality guys as we can find instead of wasting resources on long shot reclamation projects?
    Until we have unlimited resources, I don't see why it's a bad thing to do. Brandon Phillips worked out pretty well as a lightning in a bottle guy.

As a fan base we have to get out of this "lightning in a bottle" mentality. That's Jim Bowden's long term influence at work. How about bringing in ass many quality guys as we can find instead of wasting resources on long shot reclamation projects?
    Maybe at best in the middle of the season we get 5-6 decent starts from Harden when someone else goes on the DL. If we even get that, the longshot is a win for us. No reason not to take fliers regardless of how good the team is.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Whose spot are they taking?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

As a fan base we have to get out of this "lightning in a bottle" mentality. That's Jim Bowden's long term influence at work. How about bringing in as many quality guys as we can find instead of wasting resources on long shot reclamation projects?
    The difference is that Bowden's "LIAB" longshots got major league jobs. I see nothing wrong with giving guys a shot in the minors to see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    The difference is that Bowden's "LIAB" longshots got major league jobs. I see nothing wrong with giving guys a shot in the minors to see how it works out.
    Exactly. Bringing in the LIAB long-shot to give it a run as the #3 starter in Louisville is bringing them in to be your #3 starter in Cincinnati.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The Cards used the "lightening in a bottle" mentality of rehabbing Chris Carperter after he was released by the Blue Jays.

A minor league deal isn't "lightning in a bottle". Every system has spots open for guys like that. Depth vets or AAAA players "in case". Difference is whether you are pinning hopes on their resurrection or not.

Lightning in a bottle when it's a former Cy Young is different than most other players.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Webb. Always had a soft spot in my heart for him.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Maybe at best in the middle of the season we get 5-6 decent starts from Harden when someone else goes on the DL. If we even get that, the longshot is a win for us. No reason not to take fliers regardless of how good the team is.
    My thoughts exactly. If the Reds are putting Chapman in the rotation and potentially trading a SP, they need good depth. These guys could be that in Louisville. If they are healthy and can pitch some still (and I'm assuming they would be in order to be signed in the first place), they would be better depth than Redmond. Plus, they could potentially be traded for a good prospect if they really pan out well.

Turn Off Ads?